SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:09 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Howard DGA-3 "Pete" for LPS power build

Hi all!

Just thought I'd show off my current project as it stands now. It's a 10.46% scale model of the Howard Pete race plane. Wing span is 25.102" and wing area is 115.38 square inches. It will be rudder and elevator and powered by a GWS LPS drive with a 245-250 mah lipo.

Here's what she'll look like when complete (I hope)
madrob is offline Find More Posts by madrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:12 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Fuselage construction

Fuselage is built lower half first and yes, those are 1/16 by 1/32 balsa stringers. (what did I get myself into)
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:13 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Wing begins

More pics to follow soon.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Nov 2001
73 Posts
Beautiful structure so far! Can't wait to see the finished product.
I saw a balsa stripper in one of your pictures, did you strip the stringers your self?
ATA Flyer is online now Find More Posts by ATA Flyer
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:33 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Sweet

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:12 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,335 Posts
Always loved the looks of this plane. My attempt at modelling "Pete" pales compared to yours. It was made from the Sureflite kit. Can't wait to see how your's turns out!
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:27 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys!

ATAflyer; Yes, I use the stripper for all my sticks. I haven't bought a stick of balsa for years!

Greg; Love your Pete, great job!

She's sitting of the gear now so I'll post some more pics tonight!

Cheers!

Rob
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:02 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Rob, Beautiful work! This one is going to be good, and BTW, I love that trussed mainspar.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:54 PM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Thanks Pat! (means alot from you!)

I must admit that I stole the diagonal wing rib bracing from one of your build threads.

I'm starting to question my logic of scale fuselage structure and non scale wing structure. Oh well, I do like a challenge. Turns out I could have put ailerons in it afterall since I just got some new Blue Bird BMS-303 servos which are only 3.4g and pretty cheap.

Cheers!

Rob
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:50 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Rob,
The Pete has always been one of my favorites. Can we assume that this is coming from your own plans. The structure looks really good, can't wait to see more pics.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:51 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Rob, Thanks, I'm glad there are some guys out there getting some good from all this. And btw, don't sweat swiping the diagonal bracing idea, I swiped it from someone else too!
The really amazing part of the build is that out of all 600 stringers on the fuse, every last one looks straight as a string -- quite an accomplishment.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:41 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Neat and Natty!

Pat,

Isn't it great to see more of this lovely "wooden aeroplane" (quoting Dereck!) modelling .

It also took you to bring back in the "Warren-ish" Wakefield/A2 Glider structures in your own style, but Rob appears to be working with the hand tools....admirably! Yeah! And those stringers

Rob,

This is going to be really worth watching , I'm particularly impressed with the way you have designed in your internal fuselage crutch idea as well as the other innovations - and you're using CAD!

I also always strip with a Master Airscrew (but not to music! ) I've heard that some people don't get on with them - can't see why.

Like that little scale wheel on the bench! Look forward to your next post...

Funny though, I've just been re-designing my Aerographics Mew Gull at 35" span. Viva the little white Racers!!

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:12 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
tail feathers

Here's the tail feathers guys. Curvy bits are laminated 1/8 by 1/16 balsa. First time trying this process and fairly happy with the result.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:15 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Modifying GWS wheels

I took a small pair of GWS wheels and drilled out the axle hole to take a 1/8 Al tube and glued in place. Then cut disks out of 0.015" styrene and glued those on to both faces. Put the foam tire back on and it looks about right. This is at least half the wieght of the Williams wheels I was thinking of using.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:20 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
806 Posts
Landing gear details

The first shoot shows all the gear bits. I'm doing it this way so that I can finish (paint or cover) all the parts before I assemble it. The gear legs are laminated 1/16 balsa with 0.030" carbon rod to add strength. These plug into the belly.

Nothing like seeing a new bird on it's gear for the first time.