Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
I have probably a half dozen GWS 4- and 6-channel receivers, along with another dozen receivers of all sorts of makes, models, etc. One thing all the single-conversion receivers have in common is that they are EXTREMELY sensitive to interference. Some brands are dramatically worse, some slightly better. In my experience, the GWS single-conversion receivers are among the better ones.

The things that really seem to get the GWS receivers going nuts are near-band sidelobes from other RC transmitters, and microwave lobing from burglar alarms. It could be that someone near your field has just installed or modified their alarm system, hence your sudden glitching where you'd had none before.

Personally, I won't fly a GWS receiver in a known noisy environment (like a fun-fly or meet), and I have mapped out all the microwave zones around my flying fields--mostly by flying one of my crappy Brand X receivers and watching where the hits are. I'd suggest a similar strategy for anyone flying single-conversion receivers other than the Berg units. (Bergs might as well be dual conversion--rock steady in all environments.)
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermperez
I have two that work very well, my friend Cubano8 must have a dozen that also work well.. we do fly out in the country and not in the middle of the city so perhaps that accounts for it. I do have my doubts about a $20 receiver but they do work, on the other hand I have a $60 Berg that has given me lots of trouble.
Herm
Really?! I'll trade you my BRAND NEW, NEVER-BEEN-FLOWN GWS R4PII plus my GWS ICS 480 ESC for your troublesome BERG!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:08 PM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Mine lets me fly to High!

I have a strange problem with mine too. It allows me to fly too far away I can hardly get her back. Good thing its a Slow Stick and not a Pico Stick.
I love my GWS Receivers!! It's a big picture...the Slow stick in there...I don't think anyone should be flying a park flyer this far away to begin with. WOOT!

gbagley is offline Find More Posts by gbagley
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:14 PM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Got Her Back.

Old Jan 31, 2005, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
18 Posts
I fly the 4 channel and 6 channel GWS RX in sailplanes, slope gliders and brushless wings with lipo. Never a glitch, even when the sailplanes were at speck altitude--until I tried a rubber duck. Range dropped to about a hundred feet. With the regular antenna, no problem. I think they are great little receivers.
Death Spiral is offline Find More Posts by Death Spiral
Old Jan 31, 2005, 09:29 PM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2004
113 Posts
My problem with GWS reciever after buying and using them is: it makes me buy another reciever --another reciever of different brand, Hitech electron 6. That solved my problem.
BBfly is offline Find More Posts by BBfly
Old Feb 01, 2005, 06:25 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Every single pc of GWS RX was tested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve990
Maybe they work better on 72Mghz than 35? Maybe I'm just unlucky? Who knows!
Every single pc of GWS RX was tested!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 01, 2005, 03:13 PM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
I prefer the GWS recivers for all of my slow and park flyers. Th Hitecs are not all that great( jitter almost constantly with another Tx on a different Freq on) but I use the Hitec Electron for all of my DLGs
Trace Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Trace Lewis
Old Feb 01, 2005, 04:23 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
You see the reality of a GWS RX working right condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Spiral
I fly the 4 channel and 6 channel GWS RX in sailplanes, slope gliders and brushless wings with lipo. Never a glitch, even when the sailplanes were at speck altitude--until I tried a rubber duck. Range dropped to about a hundred feet. With the regular antenna, no problem. I think they are great little receivers.
You see the reality of a GWS RX working right condition.

If not because of wrong pluged BEC or battery, this will be a normal performance.

May be I should make a plastics case with connector guide, so every one will be foreced to plug in right. See the acutally performance. Then if he like to reduce the weight, he may take off the case on his own risk to damage the filter capacitor!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 01, 2005, 07:52 PM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2004
113 Posts
It may be good for sailplane coz there's no motor running and for parkflyer/slowflyer which could recover from glitch due to its slow speed but for fast warbird with costly brushless motor and esc up front, I wont dare.
My warbird would normally ditch at certain location even Im alone in the field using GWS rx even I replace it with another GWS rx. With the electron 6 now in place. I have the confidence to do on low pass and fly on windy condition.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 02:51 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
I REALLY wish GWS would start adding DSP (Digital Signal Processing) to their receivers.!!!

Otherwise they will loose a market. I only use GWS receivers for slower, less important/dangerous aircraft, for faster ones - Berg, and Hitec 555 or Electron, which are FAR better than GWS dual conversion, according to their own specs.

If you need 6N receiver plus crystal = price is close to high quality Berg5...

There are many DSP receiver available today, and CC will release cheap 4 channel DSP berg receivers soon, taking yet another bite from GWS receiver pie.

Or you could add DSP chip to your GWS receiver yourself : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298197
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:35 AM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2004
113 Posts
your rx case Mr. Lin cannot be corrected by making inovative case. We speak as technical people and speak with our own experience with your rx. Need to accept the fact that we sometimes operate nearby busy airtraffic which your GWS rx are prone to be affected. Why is my other brand of rxs on the same freq. not affected by such?. I may be the only one who has experienced it as of now (you may say) but the fact that it happens it will eventually happen to others.
Your rx can be as is unless it has warning tags: dont operate on busy bla. .bla.. to avoid bla. .bla. . bla..

Hovertime has one perfect suggestion I think.

Nevertheless I have bought 3 GWS rxs. I use them only on my tigermoth and slowfyers. Thats the good news!!!!
Last edited by BBfly; Feb 04, 2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:26 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Okay, so i have an old R4P reciever (actually i have 2) that is really glitching badly. What can i do about it? what can i check on it? What capacitor? where? how do i check it? I am running 3 others with no problems but this one reciever has always been a problem. I may have reversed it when i first got it, as its my first micro reciever i purchased in 2002.

Can this be fixed?
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 12, 2005, 09:01 AM
Let's Fly
Metairie, Louisiana
Joined Apr 2001
460 Posts
Why RISK it.

For only $25 dollars you can get a Brand new one. I know after I spend 8~16 hours on building an airplane I would hate to loose it due to a glitch.

Buy a New One
I don't see how you could fix it for less than the price of a new one.

Have you turned your crystal 180 degrees and put a piece of tape over it to hold in place? Does the problem follow the crystal?

-gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass
Okay, so i have an old R4P reciever (actually i have 2) that is really glitching badly. What can i do about it? what can i check on it? What capacitor? where? how do i check it? I am running 3 others with no problems but this one reciever has always been a problem. I may have reversed it when i first got it, as its my first micro reciever i purchased in 2002.

Can this be fixed?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 05:41 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,564 Posts
Lemme tell ya, buying another may not help. I'm on my second, and they both behave the same way. Put your money toward a hitec dual conversion rx.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster