HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:09 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
They DO work, but I just think that quality control is not up to the same standard as some others... and they are simple cheap technology. Depends where you fly, the condition of your motor (ragged motors can be hell on a cheesy rx).
I've had long stretches of no problems, but everything I've had with a GWS RX has taken severe hits at some point.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:54 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
870 Posts
there really is no proplem with them, they work the same as the other receivers. GWS test all receivers that come back to look for problems to try and stop treads like this. MR. Linn posted a pic a while back of there test equipment and it is state of the art. they seem to find no common problem to make them better other then people hooking them up backwards and blowing the filter cap. you would see the same post about other receivers but no other maker has a web forum like this so here is why you see so many people complaining about gws. if you want gws to make a glitchless receiver then i'm sure they could build a true digital receiver but then we would all be on here posting about the $200 price tag. like i say you will see a few people with problem but don't take that for the majority of people. people must like there receivers or they wouldn't sell so many. and how many makers will fix your receivers for free no matter how hold it is? they stand behind there porduct, try and get a futaba or any other brand fix... do they have a no question return policy...NO...only GWS
now if i only had a c-130 to fly one in!
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:38 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
no question return policy? since when? Hitec has amazing performance and amazing customer support. Bergs are incredible performers and supported well.

Holy cow- I just read where you are from! I graduated High School in farmington MN. Man, I hated that town...
Gee- wonder if I know you...
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:59 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262
...i find it hard to believe gws had a hard time finding a receive that worked correctly! how do you know this did they tell you this? please tell us more, how many receivers did they range check. hundred? ....

...just check you wiring and where you run your antena, i have noticed that if it rubs on anything it will glitch and they will also pick up noise of metal control wires if they rub on samething also. I have also found gws crystals give there receives the best glitch free operation, don't buy the cheap crystals

...you get what you pay for
I was working with one of the "good guys" at GWS-USA who went out of his way to help me out, including doing full antenna range checks. I don't know how many he tested before he found one that would work anywhere close to the range that GWS advertises (500 ft.), but he was pulling out brand new RXs and admitted they have problems even with his tests.

My range checks were with the RX and antenna completely out of the plane using the stock crystals that come with the RX. There was no motor or other wiring to nearby to cause glitching. I could only get about 17 paces (antenna down) before glitching started. And even worse, when two GWS NARO servos glitch simultaneously to the point of stalling, the GWS ISC480 ESC voltage drops so low the RX stops working altogether, and everything locks up until you disconnect the battery or one of the stalled servos. I confirmed this with multiple range checks (I posted another long thread with the details a while back).

I agree... you get what you pay for, and now I pay more for a Berg RX and CC ESC... I can't afford to lose another plane because of a cheap glitching RX.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:32 AM
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
In any case, get a dual-conversion Hitec receiver. Never any kind of problem.
Regardless of maker, single conversion Rx is NOT good.
myulgong is offline Find More Posts by myulgong
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
Planoholic
Worthing,West Sussex, England
Joined Aug 2004
190 Posts
I too have had simular problems with both my 4ch and 6ch gws reciever, I've found by experimenting to move the receiver as far away from all electrics, make sure the antenna is fully extended and tape the crystal in. Even then if I fly lower than 20 ft my range is reduced to less than 100ft. I've tried both with different crystals, but not taken them back. Its kinda hard to reproduce the fault in the shop. I love gws bits but they're not good value for money if you have to replace them with ones that work, and if what everyone else is saying is true theres a good chance the replacement will be faulty too. I'm also running on 35mhz, I wonder if its just the 35's that are effected. It would be interesting to find out what fequency everyones running?
tris10g is offline Find More Posts by tris10g
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:16 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
GWS Dual Conversion 8 ch RXs

Quote:
Originally Posted by myulgong
In any case, get a dual-conversion Hitec receiver. Never any kind of problem.
Regardless of maker, single conversion Rx is NOT good.
I prefer that you recommance a GWS Dual Conversion 8 ch RXs.
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/receiver/rd8.htm

This 8ch Dual conversion were used by the Japan Notional Champ of electric fly!

Yet, another new slim type GWS 8ch comming soon!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:20 PM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,816 Posts
Mr. Lin....if there is a problem blowing capacitors when hooked up wrong....could there be room for a diode here to prevent that?
Vammy
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:22 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamooska
Mr. Lin....if there is a problem blowing capacitors when hooked up wrong....could there be room for a diode here to prevent that?
Vammy
Will check with RD for this possiblity.

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:28 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
I have two that work very well, my friend Cubano8 must have a dozen that also work well.. we do fly out in the country and not in the middle of the city so perhaps that accounts for it. I do have my doubts about a $20 receiver but they do work, on the other hand I have a $60 Berg that has given me lots of trouble.

The JR receivers are single conversion and they have an excellent reputation as a top of the line receivers. The only receiver that consistantly gets bad reviews is the Hitec Feather..

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:43 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
I see you have an RD8 and RD8SS, 18 grams without case but the shift direction is not mentioned on your web site.. I also like the R6NII series.. how would you compare the rd8 to the r6nII regarding range and sensitivity?

Have a merry Xmas mr Lin

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
This 8ch Dual conversion were used by the Japan Notional Champ of electric fly!
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:50 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
[SS] Selection Switch for JR or Futaba shift.

See detail here: http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/receiver/rd8.htm

[SS] Selection Switch for JR or Futaba shift.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
London Gatwick, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
244 Posts
Mr Lin. If there is a possible problem with a filter Cap blowing ,could you explain where it is,and what value ,so it would be possible to replace it?Actally,if its in a RF filter cct,surely it would not be a polarised one.
oldphart is offline Find More Posts by oldphart
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
hm... gws or hitec electron for $10 more?

I have yet to see those GWS rx's in stores though... I only see the cheap single conversion ones.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:38 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
hm... gws or hitec electron for $10 more?

I have yet to see those GWS rx's in stores though... I only see the cheap single conversion ones.
May you suggest them to see GWS RXs information?

Thanks.