Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:07 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Anyone else have problems with GWS recievers?

I was at the flying field today, and took out my Corsair. When it gets about 200 feet away from me, it starts to go crazy, then I gain control, and slow down to land it, then it started doing it again, and hit the ground

People at the field asked me what happend, and I told them. They asked what reciever i was using, i told them GWS Pico, they said "no suprise." a guy told me he had the same exact problem when he had a GWS pico reciever...

my corsair had a broken wing, and a broken elevator... When i fix it, I will just put my 6 channel JR reciever in it...
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
870 Posts
if you hook up a gws receiver backwards once it is enough to blow to cap in it which will give you the crazy servo movments at 150 feet or more. i have found that the other big thing is placment, it won't give you the crazy servo movment at range test but it will make your plane crash. All recievers are sensitive to the esc and motor wires. when your running lots of current thru your motor wires the reciever will pick that up and give you glitching which makes it hard to find out in range testing. i haven't had a problem with them since i started placing my receivers away from all my other wires like battery, motors and servos. The more isolated you can make them the better. you will see lots of post about gws receivers being bad but i have never seen a picture of where they have them placed which will lead to lots of problems if you just throw a receiver in there and not check what wires are running around it. I wish GWS you add this to there instructions but they don't, actuaaly i have never seen a reciever maker ad this in but it is a well known problem called noise.
Jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:55 PM
St. Louis Mo.
Joined May 2004
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262
if you hook up a gws receiver backwards once it is enough to blow to cap in it which will give you the crazy servo movments at 150 feet or more. i have found that the other big thing is placment, it won't give you the crazy servo movment at range test but it will make your plane crash. All recievers are sensitive to the esc and motor wires. when your running lots of current thru your motor wires the reciever will pick that up and give you glitching which makes it hard to find out in range testing. i haven't had a problem with them since i started placing my receivers away from all my other wires like battery, motors and servos. The more isolated you can make them the better. you will see lots of post about gws receivers being bad but i have never seen a picture of where they have them placed which will lead to lots of problems if you just throw a receiver in there and not check what wires are running around it. I wish GWS you add this to there instructions but they don't, actuaaly i have never seen a reciever maker ad this in but it is a well known problem called noise.
Jeff
Well it's about time!!! This is the way I see it as well I happen to like them a lot, and I have FMA,JR, Hitec 555, The only one I use all the time is my trusty RP4II. this little guy has gone down in water while in my slow stick and still gives flawless performance!!

Son House
Son House is offline Find More Posts by Son House
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:17 AM
Custom User Title
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STaNgXs
I was at the flying field today, and took out my Corsair. When it gets about 200 feet away from me, it starts to go crazy, then I gain control, and slow down to land it, then it started doing it again, and hit the ground

People at the field asked me what happend, and I told them. They asked what reciever i was using, i told them GWS Pico, they said "no suprise." a guy told me he had the same exact problem when he had a GWS pico reciever...

my corsair had a broken wing, and a broken elevator... When i fix it, I will just put my 6 channel JR reciever in it...

thanks for warning me
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:21 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
I had no problems with GWS at the small field that I usually fly at. But when I when to a big electric fly at the Sepulveda Basin, I had a lot of glitches with my two GWS recievers, but I could fly a JR plane fine.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:34 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STaNgXs

I've had two 4 channel GWS RXs (one older version which did the same as yours, sent back to GWS and was replaced with the newer R4PII). Same thing! AND I did NOT plug in the connectors wrong, and I DID have it separated from battery and motor wires (outside the plane in fact). It failed range check at about 20 paces, even with no motor connected. And I was no where near other people flying. SO, I can rule out all the problems and fixes that others have gotten to work. I sent the replacemen RX back to GWS, and asked them to do a range check BEFORE they sent me a new one. Would you believe they had a hard time finding one (fresh from their supply) that would pass a range check?!! They finally found one that did and sent it to me. I use it for controlling my motor static test rig! I think that should give you an idea of how much I trust their RXs.

There will be other replies saying there is no problem if you arrange it properly, but I say there are good GWS RXs, and there are bad ones, and the two I had were in the latter category. I will not put one in one of my planes.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:18 AM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
870 Posts
i can say the same thing about my electron 6, i find it hard to believe gws had a hard time finding a receive that worked correctly! how do you know this did they tell you this? please tell us more, how many receivers did they range check. hundred? but anyways you will find everyone has a complaint about every brand of receivers, just GWS is the largest seller of them so you will find that people complain more about them..law of averages. just check you wiring and where you run your antena, i have noticed that if it rubs on anything it will glitch and they will also pick up noise of metal control wires if they rub on samething also. I have also found gws crystals give there receives the best glitch free operation, don't buy the cheap crystals...you get what you pay for
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:19 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
In the UK I would be very surprised if GWS was the best selling receivers, probably the cheapest. I've always used GWS crystals exclusively in my 6ch Naro's and have had to replace one crystal which packed up after two flights.

Read the other thread on receivers - I'm not alone in having problems and I now pay more (sometimes nearly double) for other makers receivers.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:56 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve990
In the UK I would be very surprised if GWS was the best selling receivers, probably the cheapest. I've always used GWS crystals exclusively in my 6ch Naro's and have had to replace one crystal which packed up after two flights.

Read the other thread on receivers - I'm not alone in having problems and I now pay more (sometimes nearly double) for other makers receivers.
I've also bought a brand new GWS R6P which failed a range check. With the components spread out on the table, two servos attached, no motor, the servos went crazy from about 10m away with the ariel fully extended. I returned it to the shop, they did their own range check and confirmed my observations. They swapped in a new crystal (genuine GWS) and this didn't improve matters. They offered to replace the unit but did the same range check before handing it over, and this behaved in exactly the same - it wouldn't hold a signal from the TX from the other side of the showroom. Even with the sticks at neutral their servos were twitching like mad. As far as I know they sent both units back to the distributor for reports. I went home empty handed and made do with a RX robbed from one of my other planes.
geoff_s14 is offline Find More Posts by geoff_s14
Old Dec 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
Chilliwack, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
710 Posts
I have 5 planes using the gws receivers, 3 of the 4 channel models and 2 six channel ones.I've never had a serious problem and all are used on brushless 3d parkflyers.The only time I had a glitch was during a indoor funfly with another flyer only 1 channel away.Maybe I've been lucky but I like them
fourstarforty is offline Find More Posts by fourstarforty
Old Dec 13, 2004, 01:36 PM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,816 Posts
I think one of the keys is to use a genuine GWS crystal. I know it did not help the above instance, but it has helped many others. The wire legs on the "cheaper ones" are a bit narrower gauge than the GWS ones and they have intermittient contact after a bit of wear....something to watch.
Happy Holidays
Vammy Claus
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:10 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
As a rule, I don't use any GWS rx in a plane worth more than maybe $50 and NEVER in a plane with Lipos. I'va had too many strange problems when running GWS in my Zagi Fixx and GWS Corsair etc. The rx is the 'brain' of the plane and not the place to skimp to save a few bucks.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:42 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I just took the 6 channel JR reciever out of my TM and put it into my Corsair, and put the GWS reciever in my Pico TM, since i have no problem if the TM crashes.

But, if there problems are so common, why don't they fix it? i mean, there are so many complaints, and I did crash my new Corsair, that I put so much work into it b/c of that common problem.

I love GWS planes, but will NEVER put a GWS reciever in any of my planes again.
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:44 PM
indy
Joined Feb 2004
105 Posts
No problem here

Iíve used GWS receivers for about a year now. I have about 8 different planes with lipos and never had a problem. I did notice when placing the receiver next to a speed controller or motor wire they would act up. That was during installation though. I put my receiver as far away from the speed controller as I can. I have some receivers with the GWS crystals and some with generic crystals. All work great! Maybe Iím just lucky but I think GWS makes a darn good receiver among other things. Iím very happy with all of my GWS products especially the planes!!! Keep up the good work Mr. Lin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TreeCrasher is offline Find More Posts by TreeCrasher
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeCrasher
Iíve used GWS receivers for about a year now. I have about 8 different planes with lipos and never had a problem.
Maybe they work better on 72Mghz than 35? Maybe I'm just unlucky? Who knows!
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990