HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:38 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Post your portable frequency board ideas!

What's the best way to make a frequency board or other channel control system that you can carry with you and set up wherever you go to fly?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:39 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
A fellow brought to our 'informal' field a square board with the channel numbers along the edges and a box of wood clip clothes pins that also had the the channel numbers marked on them. Very simple set-up. When you fly, pick up the clothes pin with your channel number and clip it to the board on your number. When you're finished, remove the clothes pin and put it back in the box. Total cost less than $3.00 and total effort less than an hour.
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:57 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
But why put numbers on the clothes pins? That setup sounds okay if the clothes pins are blank, but with numbers on them, the next guy is liable to take the pin off the board and clip it onto his antenna. Then when there's a crash, he'll protest that he's the one who has the pin!
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:13 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
I agree that numbers on pins seem unnecessary, but it's his board, his pins, and his rules. He put the work into it and it works, so we were happy to go along and appreciated his efforts. I don't think there's more than 12 - 15 flyers using this and we know each other, so there not much concern about protests. It's surprising that out of only 15 flyers, we do have a lot of common channels.

If you expect a large number of flyers that are new to the field, you might want something more formal and more visible.
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old Dec 13, 2004, 03:09 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I have seen variations of this clipon frequency board.
At our club we have our own pins that have our name and frequency printed on them that we clip over the appropriate number.
At another club, the pins were all clipped on the board over the different frequency numbers and you took the required pin and clipped it to your antenna. This way no pin, no turning on transmitter. I do like the second method but you have to go with what the club wants.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Dec 13, 2004, 03:41 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,012 Posts
Our club uses a laminated card with all the channels marked on it, hung from the nearest tree. But each member brings their own peg, marked with channel and name, and puts it on the board (if their channel is free) to fly.

I think that numbers are vital, in case a peg gets clipped on the board ambiguously (straddling two numbers, for instance) by mistake, or gets nudged out of place. Putting the name on tells you who's on your channel, so you can go talk to him if he's just messing around in the pits and doesn't realise you're waiting to go.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
Every pin system I've worked with has been the "take the pin" variety - if you've got the pin, you've got the channel. The various systems require you to swap your membership card (or AMA card) for the pin on the board. That requires some type of hloder for the cards so they don't blow away. A simple solution would be to have everyone bring a pin with their name on it and they could swap it for the frequency pin - to accomodate new members and visitors, you could have some "blanks" and a Sharpie for them to create their own pin on the spot.

The one exception to the swapping your card for the pin that I have experience with is the NAR's NARAM frequency board where you just take the pin. But there are typically less than 10 R/C flyers at NARAM and flyers typically had the pin for the whole week (getting them back from all over the country after NARAM can be a PITA).

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:56 AM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
Problem I always see at indoor flying events is when the frequency has to be shared. If it is a take a pin system they will take a pin and keep it, letting the other guy hunt him down when you want to fly.

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:44 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
The system that worked well for me was a piece of foam core board with clothes pin glue to it with the channel number above. When a pilot wanted to fly, he/she would insert their ama card into the clothes pin to claim the frequency. When they were done flying, they would remove their card freeing up the frequency. Doesn’t get much easier!

Jeffrey
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Small numbered key labels each with an elastic band or a piece of string and a small key cabinet.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 02:56 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Flyer
Problem I always see at indoor flying events is when the frequency has to be shared. If it is a take a pin system they will take a pin and keep it, letting the other guy hunt him down when you want to fly.
That's why you pin your AMA card in palce of the pin - then the next pilot knows who to look for!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 13, 2004, 03:59 PM
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
Hogging the pin can be a problem. It's the one thing that really bugs me about somo of the people who show up at Oakland Yard. There are a couple of people who pull a pin at the beginning of the evening and hold onto it. There are enough people there that you don't know everyone and some people (not I) are timid about asking someone else to give up the pin.

I don't know that any system will resolve this problem.

- Roger
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
Any one remember the post "Get Smart" Don Adams comedy, where he played a house detective? At the end of one episode, he was telling the manager about a solution he had developed to prevent guests from walking off with the front dest pens. The was a time in the pen - if you didn't replace it in the holder within 2 minutes, the pen exploded making a stain in the shirt pocket. The manager replied, "I know," as he opened his suit coat to reveal a large black stain on his shirt.

May be we could do something like that. Have a pin that explodes if it isn't returned to the flight board in 20 minutes.

- Roger
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:34 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
This is only remotely on topic, but I wish more manufacturers would follow Polk's lead and make transmitters that won't function if someone is already using the channel.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:08 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I fly at fields with both systems (Take the numbered freq pin or place your ID on the designated spot) Both seem to work reasonably well, but if I ran the zoo, I'd require a photo ID (Even one just cropped from a drivers license photocopy), just so you can find the guy that has been on your freq for 45 minutes.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog