HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:26 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Feigao Brushless Micro SpeedWing -- FAST!

Just got back from our first test flights on my new Micro SpeedWing just built sporting 3 built-in Tanic 830 Lipos and the Feigao brushless motor. We knew by feeding numbers into Motocalc we could expect full vertical in the range of 30~40 MPH and flat out speed above 60 MPH, but it was still a shock to see this actually happening in person -- Very impressive indeed!

I also made some more mods in airfoil designs which enhanced slow-flight capability very well. Still need some tweaking in some other areas and need to fine tune control throws, but we only had about an hour before nightfall set in, so we will have to go back later this week to do more.

As of right now, I am sure we broke the 60 MPH top end by a very large margin. We will be taking radar signatures as well later this week, so I will hopefully have a good clock on it. My guess right now is above 75 MPH!

Vertical is just too good to be true. Hold it as long as you can see it without even trying. It has to be at least 40 MPH or more here as well. I don't think I can find this actual speed for vertical, but it is so quick now, it really doesn't make any difference.

I am trying to think of all that can be done now with so much power and speed. I had the elevon mixed to low rates and did just a couple of passes doing axial rolls and they were the fastest I have ever seen on anything in the air.

VIDEO!!! I got to get some video of this as well. I hope we can do all of this in the next week or 2 as it is really something to see... And HEAR!

I'll post a few pics here to look at...

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:30 PM
go flyin or die tryin
grafton, West Virginia, United States
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
where did you get the wing at is it homebuilt
new flyer is offline Find More Posts by new flyer
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
What model Feigao are you using? What prop adapter and prop are you using? I'm glad you have decided to bury the battery on top. I was always concerned about velcroing the battery on the bottom. Errrr, maybe it isn't on the top. The battery and control rods are on different sides. Bummer.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Last edited by no stick; Dec 12, 2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new flyer
where did you get the wing at is it homebuilt
Well, I was home when I built it ...

It's Acer's smallest SpeedWing. He has 5 different kits in all right now and this Micro SpeedWing is the newest production model out right now. SpeedWings are sold on line at speedwing.net and in numbers of local hobby shops around the country.

-Rodger
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:41 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
new flyer, they are the manufacturers www.speedwing.net guess im to slow on the submit button
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:44 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
i forgot to ask does that size prop cause torque roll on such a little wing?
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:53 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no stick
What model Feigao are you using? What prop adapter and prop are you using?

Ed
This is the Feigao 1208436L Brushless. Wanted to run 3 lipos specifically, so this is the one I chose to use -- NOT A MISTAKE! Prop in the picture is an APC 4.2x2 Pylon which is over 9 oz. static thrust here at 4,000 foot altitude. Obviously this is WAY overkill on this midget wing, but it has it's advantages we will hope to test soon. Flew the first charge for about 10 minutes or so, but as forgot to set my LVC and didn't want to chance pulling down the cells to far so I cut it short. Actual flight time should go at or near 17 minutes or so, if you can believe Motocalc.

Did about 5 minutes on ('til dark) using a stock GWS 3x2 and did every bit as good vertical and maybe better as it was quicker for the first 100 feet up or so. This is where I think top end speed was around 75 MPH or so.

-Rodger

Edit - Seen your edit Ed about burying the batteries...

We (Acer and I) wanted to make this little wing have as much speed as possible using the Feigao brushless on 3 cell lipos. To do this, we had to bury the batteries and remove all drag reasonably possible. So, we cut battery pockets (three of them) on the bottom of the wing -- One cell to each pocket. We use the center pocket (see photo) for access to the connectors plugs for charging and powering up.

-Rodger
Last edited by marjamar; Dec 12, 2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:01 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
i forgot to ask does that size prop cause torque roll on such a little wing?
Prop - see post above...

Torque roll was there on my first launch for sure ... Use to punching it at release and did the same here, which was not really very wise. Second launch was fine with about 1/2 power at release. Really didn't notice any torque roll at any normal flights speeds, punching throttle up just made it slip through the air like it wasn't even there -- Even vertical .

-Rodger
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Now, that is mighty fast. I hope the cop don't have a radar gun and you get caught speeding. Think about it, if it was full scale.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:43 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,867 Posts
Sounds cool! I have a feigao 5322kv, 2S & CC10. Do you know what the AUW of your wing is?

After finishing converting a bargain (25$) ZagiFixx to 300 brushless this will definately be the next project.

woohoo!
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:05 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
WillowPtarmigan - That's why we do our speeding in the air .

OzDragonFlyer - Finished out heavy at 5.4 oz. We were hoping for under 5 oz. with 3 cells of Tanic 830's, but I always seem to go overboard with carbon, fiberglass and cosmetics.

-Rodger
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:02 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar
This is the Feigao 1208436L Brushless. Wanted to run 3 lipos specifically, so this is the one I chose to use -- NOT A MISTAKE!
Did about 5 minutes on ('til dark) using a stock GWS 3x2 and did every bit as good vertical and maybe better as it was quicker for the first 100 feet up or so. This is where I think top end speed was around 75 MPH or so.

-Rodger
Hi Roger,

What amps are you pulling wih that setup? Balsa Produsts suggests the 36 turn Feigao amps should be 3.5 - 4 amps maximum. From what I've read the Feigao 36 turn gets VERY HOT on 3s Lipo. Comments?

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:34 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
We're about 4000~5000 ft. altitude here and in the 30 degree F. range this time of year. Static amps with the 4.2x2 APC is just about 5.9, in-flight amps full speed level flight is about 2.7 and in-flight full vertical should be about 4.5. Using the GWS 3x2 all amps stay just below and above 3 amps. Haven't tested the GWS 3x3 yet, but it should be in the 4.5 range or so.

It was quite cold out yesterday late afternoon here, about 25 to 30 degrees F., so I can say heat wouldn't have been much of a problem anyway, but motor temp was just warm after both flights. Batteries were well within safety margins as well.

Lower altitudes and warmer flying conditions will obviously effect these stats so it is always a good idea to check things out for yourself whenever you are pushing the envelope as we definitely are in this build.

-Rodger
Old Dec 13, 2004, 03:49 PM
CROP DUSTER
Wheatland Wyoming USA
Joined Sep 2003
326 Posts
Real nice Rodger!
Agpilot442 is offline Find More Posts by Agpilot442
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:47 PM
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
286 Posts
Are there any issues with flying the Feigao as a pusher rather than a tractor?
Harry Mueller is offline Find More Posts by Harry Mueller