HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2001, 10:16 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Fokker DR 1

Does anyone have experience with this plane ?
ie. flown one, or built one, or know of someone who has one? This is going to be my next project, and I wish to gather as much information as I can before I start making
balsa dust. Thanks.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2001, 07:03 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Which kit are you building?
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old Mar 20, 2001, 08:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Ron
Slimers, I'm afraid, but I've seen three in action over the years. The 1/5 scale, with all of a 60 glow, was campaigned on the Scottish comp circuit for some years. It was built from a published plan (Nexus range?) in England, the designer also had some contest success with the original. A clubmate from way back had a vastly overpowered VK kit and I got to see Dave Hurrell fly his superbly built own design 1/6th version a couple of times.

I've also flown Andy Clancy's 1/12th scale electric, on three channel - with rotating lower wings coupled to the rudder!

All are/were very stable in the air, had a pretty high roll rate and were fairly aerobatic. Take offs were easily handled, though long grass causes grief with the scale and somewhat aft wheel axle.

Landing usually involves ending up on the nose, or inverted! Size doesn't seem to come into it if the model is close to scale.

Smooth, short grass is probably the best bet for a runway for a DR1 model. I saw the full size fly in England, and they would push it out to the strip on a dolly under its tail end, as its skid gave no directional control on tarmac. I believe he'd even fly off the grass next to a tarmac runway. At least he stopped his landing runs the right way up

On tarmac, you are going to take off and land into wind - or else! The scale rudder is something of a joke and when the tail drops on landing it seems to vanish behind that huge tailplane for all intent and purpose.

I had a 1/6th Focker DVIII parasol that managed to stay upright once on landing. Not sure if the additional two wings would make life easier or harder, but that model was a dog on landing.

This behaviour is probably close to scale

That caricature foam BARF from HL doesn't count!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 20, 2001, 05:15 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
1,968 Posts
Derek must have a faster left thumb than I do. My VK version with an Astro 25G and 14 cells came in at 5 3/4lb and flew quite well.....once it was in the air. Takeoffs were a pain but I'm willing to put that down to the pilot. One option would be a gyro and a fast rudder servo. That's the route I'll go if (when) I build another.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Mar 20, 2001, 05:42 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I had a Baronette - the Flair DR.I look-a-like. Flew good with an OS.40FS. Ripped the upper and half midwing off during a split-S.

It was very slow on landing with no apparent bad vices. (before wing flew of that is... )

Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Mar 21, 2001, 07:15 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Thanks, I pretty much figured this is a plane you have to " fly " , but this input
will help me to design a hopefully "better" model. Scale will be at 1:3.5 so it is going to be a reasonable size ( around 80 " )
2500 sq. in. I think (hope) that I can get it done at around 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. if I can build the under carriage and cowling really light. The Eindekker U/C ended up pretty heavy , (14 oz.) , so that area is going to need some attention on this plane also. My main reason for building it, is that the German planes don't seem to be too common around here. Besides, Brad needs a plane to " fly with " when his D V11 is finished.
Don't want all those SE5 's and Sopwith Pups ganging up on him. I am going to keep close track of this project so that when it is done, I can have really good plans and information available for anyone else who wishes to build it. Information gathered here really helped the E111 project, so when this one is done, plans will be available to " Zoners " cheap ( read basically free ) .
Old Mar 21, 2001, 04:12 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
1,968 Posts
Ron, are you sure about your finished weights? I had figured a 1/4 scale one, (70") would weigh about 7lb empty and probably 12 to 13 loaded up. What power are you planning?

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Mar 21, 2001, 04:31 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Irvine:
Derek must have a faster left thumb than I do. My VK version with an Astro 25G and 14 cells came in at 5 3/4lb and flew quite well.....once it was in the air. Takeoffs were a pain
I agree with Martin they are a pain to take- off and land. I flew my Baronette off tarmac...first mistake because the tail skid has nothing to bite on. I concur, use a solid state gyro on the rudder to stop the ground looping.

Bob P is offline Find More Posts by Bob P
Old Mar 21, 2001, 04:33 PM
Hull, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Mar 2000
11 Posts
Quote:
Scale will be at 1:3.5 so it is going to be a reasonable size (around 80")
You do know that Flair makes a kit of the Dr.1 at about that size, don't you?

Steve_Kerry is offline Find More Posts by Steve_Kerry
Old Mar 21, 2001, 06:38 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,898 Posts
Ron i plan to do Nick Zirolis verson(63") top wing.i have a book published by Schiffer Military History.FOKKER V5/Dr.1(e-mail Schifferbk@aol.com) this has all the technical information on the plane you will need .there a couple of kits out there too but you will have to replace a lot of the wood so whats the sence??Cornell Michaels a kit cutter in michigan offers a partial kit.i waiting for a e-mail on how much the cost is.there is a lot of wing ribs so i thought if its not to pricey i might go that route.another deasent book by squadron/signal publications#98 Fokker Dr.1 in action.this one has some good color pictures in it."Kennscht mi'noch?" enjoy KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Mar 22, 2001, 01:53 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Martin:
Take Ron's weight figures at face value. His 82" EIII is 6 lbs. 2 oz. ready to fly! Remember, his mentor is Ivan of the huge, light, multi-motor wonders. These two builders have inspired me to try a 1:4.5 D VII, and being new at this large,light genre, I'm modestly aiming for 10 lbs ready to fly. Some of the building techniques they use seem very flimsy, but after seeing dozens of flights by Ron and Ivan, I've yet to see one break in normal usage. We're looking at 12 - 16 cell power systems with a 24" prop @ 3800 - 4000 rpm.

Regards,
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Mar 22, 2001, 07:08 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Martin, I am hoping this to be right in the ballpark weight wise. I am actually aiming at being a little lighter than 8 1/2 lbs., but this is going to be VERY difficult, so I will be happy with 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. ready to fly. Since the larger planes don't need that much power to fly in a scale like fashion,
( around 40 watts/lb. ) is ample. I am thinking to build a tandem box with two car motors ( mag mayhem, or ruby )and gear it to swing a 24" prop at about 3900 RPM. I am just starting the gearbox now, so will have actual cell count figured out in a week or two. ( E111 swings an APC 18X10 E prop at 3675 rpm.) on ten cells, and flies quite scale. ROG in about 50 to 60 ft. you have to do a slight dive 15 degrees or so at the entrance to a loop, and It won't win any speed contests, but it is 1/5 scale, and flies at about 20 MPH. ( cruising ), and duration is about 7 min., so in my mind it is a success. The DR1 should fly at around
29 mph. to be close to scale speed at this size.I am hoping to be able to slow it down a little more, but I'll be happy with that.
I know my weights don't seem believeable sometimes, but my flying partner builds lighter than this, and I just marvel at his success, and try to emulate his building methods. ( keep building lighter and lighter till you finally have one that breaks ) We are down to 3/16 fuse sticks, 3/32 wing spars, 1/16 ribs, 1/32 sheeting, and so far
NO FAILURES ! ! You have to be very gentle when you are building, but once the covering is on, it is good and strong. Besides, being of good Scottish ancestry, we both figure this means less money spent on wood, and
when you crash there isn't as big a mess to clean up, so therefore you can use a smaller garbage bag to cart home the wreckage. All in all a good thing, because if you spend less on each plane, you can have more of them ! !
Old Mar 22, 2001, 07:22 AM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
Brad, looks like I just found out why my Solartex didn't shrink properly. However I agree that it doesn't seem to add any strength, ( not a good thing as each component should add strenghth ) to the model. Some of these other materials look like they could be promising tho. lots of information here to help make the decision.
Old Mar 28, 2001, 08:30 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2000
161 Posts
The groundlooping tendency is a famous trait of the Dridecker. One solution worth trying to improve the ground handling of the DR1 is to couple both wheels to the common axle ie. both wheel cannot turn independent or each other. This will theoretically autocorrect the track path when the airplane tries to veer off left or right. This is a suggestion I read in some magazines but have not tried it out personally. Worth a try.
mdxp67 is offline Find More Posts by mdxp67
Old Mar 28, 2001, 08:41 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
mdxp67,

A club member did this to a Flair Baronette and it seemed to work. I have a VK DR1 and it too is a real pain to get off the ground (and land).

Mike Smart
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart