Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 12, 2004, 02:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
How do i change the oil in my shocks?

ok. i have just bought a thunder tiger ssk second hand and i'm giving it a service before i send it out on the dirt. I need to know how to change the oil in the shocks. They are the shocks that came as stock on the ssk. how do i do this?

also the shocks seem to sag through about half of the full travel with just the trucks weight. why is this?
adcyork is offline Find More Posts by adcyork
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:24 PM
Will race for parts!
United States, WA, Chehalis
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Take the spring off, unscrew the cap, dump out the old oil and spray out the shock bodies with nitro spray. Refill the shock about 3/4 full with the oil of your choice. Now pump the shock slowly, not letting the piston rise above the oil. Do this for about a minute per shock. Pull the piston all the way to the bottom, fill the shock to the top, put the cap back on and screw it on one turn only. Slowly push the piston back up while screwing the cap back on. You'll know you have it right when the shock rod pushes itself out about 1/4 inch, if it pushes out too far, you have too much oil, if it doesn't push out at all, you don't have enough oil, you'll get the hang of it after a few rebuilds.
You want the shocks to sag, the lower A-arms should be about level in the front, and the rear dogbones should be slightly lower in the center than at the wheels. If they aren't where youi wnat them to be, adjust them with the shock spacers. But remember that the shocks need to have some "downtravel" to be able to follow terrain.
Kiiski
Kiiski is offline Find More Posts by Kiiski
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
thanks mate. that's a real help.
adcyork is offline Find More Posts by adcyork
Old Dec 18, 2004, 07:40 PM
Professional Crasher
Joined Apr 2004
1,035 Posts
Here's a tip: if you want it stiff, you can use castor as your oil. That stuff is thick, and it seems to work great for me, though I am doing off-road.
lectraplayer is offline Find More Posts by lectraplayer