SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2002, 02:42 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Greg;

Personally I like them both. I lean towards hot and heavy because I don't have access to an indoor sight very often and I get a kick out of putting up a 3.8 oz. 15 inch plane in 10 to 15 mph winds when the 40 size gassers are reluctant to go up. I also understand that hot and heavy only serves to poke holes in the sheetrock at most indoor sites. Thought I'd post the recap cause I hate re-inventing the wheel.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2002, 02:53 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,063 Posts
What this means for Dan's version with the RFFS100 is that his Bipe conversion will be even lighter and may work fine using the KP00 (2.75:1) on 3 or 4 cells with a U80 (3x1) prop.

If that isn't enough thrust, then a KR-1 Low Voltage on 3 cells has a higher 4:1 gear ratio for the Gunther "spoon" (5x4) prop.

I have planes for both indoor and outdoor flying. Some can do both but it makes it easier to fine tune it for one or the other.

The smaller the plane, the larger the perception of the indoor area becomes. My smallest 14" 1.5oz plane is easy to fly indoors without full attention on flying. Others are like flying a helicopter...don't talk to me now!

At the end of a summer day, we always seem to end up flying micro-flight planes in the calm dusk. Great fun!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 14, 2002, 03:11 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Yup

Had a Tumblewatt up in the hangar at Lakehurst. Took about an hour to stop shaking after I flew it.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 02:15 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,063 Posts
Successful Test Flight

Hi,

It was time to "dig up" this old thread since I finally test flew my Acro-Bipe with RFFS100 module and KP00 motor.

Well, it flew! It flew quite slow too. A real candidate for an indoor flying model.

At first I needed some right thrust because the thrust line was centered and the plane kept turning left. A little right thrust fixed that nicely.

Second, when the plane was flying very slow, it kept wanting to rise and fall as if it was still tail heavy. I had previously gone to 4-cells of 50mAH to help combat that problem on my short lived maiden voyage a month or two ago. I didn't bring my charger so I ran out of power after a few minutes.

Now that Summer has arrived, I hope to be able to test my micro-flight models more often in the long, calm evenings. I've already flown my Micro Taxi outdoors several times. At a local R/C meet last weekend, people were in disbelief that something this small was under radio control.

I will likely replace my 4-cells of 50mAh NiCD with a heavier 3-cell pack (300mAh NiMH maybe) and try to add duration while changing the CG forward.

I'll keep you posted.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:26 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
Eric Sweenys acrobipe with astroflight fire fly

http://rcguy13.tripod.com/mwe2002.htm
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Oct 14, 2002, 05:48 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Acro Bipe

I just got my acro bipe in the air. this was my second one. I am using GWS Direct with a Wattage Cup prop with a spinner. runs off 9V NIMH. standard GwS gear. flys great at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and I get about 5 min run times . a rocket at full. my throws are way down. I only have aileron elev control won't roll. will probably loop but I am still learning it's qwerks. so I am happy with high speed passes. only problem. I can't land it. I try on asphalt but I think the stock landing gear sucks as it is like it gets tripped when it touches down. but boy she shure is fun in the air. I am to poor for the firefly. I just can't see putting a 60 dollar motor in a 10 dollar plane. but I just may have to break down and try it. I have 3 more acro bipes on the shelf. I call them the replacements. any hints to get more aerobatics?
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:30 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
With an 8 cell 300 nimh pack and a Hobbico 3x2 prop it'll do anything you want. Mines got ailerons top and bottom (posted here someplace. If you use the GWS servo's there's enough room to go AETR (nice snaps with the rudder).

Mike
Old Oct 15, 2002, 04:10 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
frankenfoamy; I couldn't find the Acro Bipe on that site. I have an Acro Bipe to convert, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Oct 15, 2002, 05:18 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
It is the guess the scale video

http://rcguy13.tripod.com/mwe2002.htm

has a funny ending
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Oct 15, 2002, 05:43 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Thanks. Nice looking plane and video. It is a funny ending.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:18 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Mine came in at 2.91 ounces RTF with a Firefly motor and two 140 mah lipolys. Flew it for the first time last night in a gymnasium and it was a BIG hit. Everyone loved it.
Last edited by KatManDEW; Nov 25, 2002 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:14 AM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
wow, that is pretty cool guys! Where do you buy the kit? What is that, throttle/elevator/aileron?

Thanx!
-aeroP
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Jun 01, 2003, 02:59 AM
Knight of Ni-wom
Victorville, CA
Joined Mar 2003
179 Posts
can't help it...

OK guys, I've fallen in love with this little beauty, and plan on making a couple

What i'd really like is for one of these to have enough power to go vertical (or close to it). What type of motor/prop combo would give that type of performance using 3 hs-50 servos, a pixie 7p, a GWS 4-channel reciever, and a 450 mah 10.8 volt lipoly pack from BPP (good for 4 amps continuos and weighs 1.3 ounces) If that battery pack is too heavy, then a 3s pack of the e-tech 250's might work (good for 1.75 amps and weighs .6 ounce)

Just think how much fun you could have with a setup like that

Thanks in advance
Loren
lorenkb is offline Find More Posts by lorenkb
Old Jun 01, 2003, 09:31 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
KatManDEW,

What gear are you running in yours?
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jun 01, 2003, 01:29 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
lorenkb, I have not owned this plane, although I really like it too
But, I can tell you that with non-RFFS gear you might have trouble... 3 hs-50 servos alone weigh in at about 1.7oz, and with the small wings, to keep a small wing loading, you're gonna want the total weight maybe 3oz maximum. Even at that, it would be very heavy, and be a very fast flyer. Plus, don't forget the heavy reciever, and ESC, etc.

What you need is RFFS equipment all around - where the reciever (with ESC built in) weighs 2 grams, the actuators are one gram a pop, and with that, you'll need a smaller motor because everything weighs less, which means less batteries too. BUT, the airframe is too heavy to go vertical with RFFS equipment. The closest you'll get is with a dual M-20HV geared 6.66:1 or something around that, with the appropriate prop. Nobody on this earth has ever done a lot of testing or use with these motors and documented it and made it public info, so, you're gonna have to try out a few gear ratios and propellers, modify the reciever for two cells, and possible even burn the ESC from too many amps. Nobody knows what's out there, although it is soon going to become explored - I'll bet others will have good info about it sometime in the near future, and I'll even be trying out this combo myself too later on.......
For less power and more certainty, check out the dual M-20LV...Bob Selman sells them. You will only need one lipoly cell, and you are saving weight there too.

Hope That Helps!
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin