HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:03 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
Dan,

It's a coreless motor that uses a special high impedance ESC similar to the JMP ESC.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:53 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
the largest problem with the firefly is that it needs about 10 volts to shine. if you did tap into the pulse-train, I doubt it's in a standard format unless you get into it before it hits the pic to be decoded. good idea... might work... this ship may need shr, birds, and lahtis.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:37 AM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Well I did try to fly mine last night but it was too heavy. I probably need a different motor setup then the kp00 plus I was using 120mah nicads which way a TON waiting to get some 50mah nicads to try those instead. I did have control of the plane on its extended glide though so it's not a problem for the acutators just the power plant. I would love to try other combos but don't know which ones to try. I've never tried to do a gearbox mostly because I'm not too good at building things like that so hopefully there is a motor/gearbox combo out there that would work. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Dan
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:50 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
What works.

Wander over to the rc microflight forums. Jason Nowell got this thing flying great with a geared N20 and standard GWS gear. Mines got the GWS direct drive with ailerons top and bottom. With 6c it loops, rolls (like crazy) should handle inverted, ROG's are tricky without a rudder, and it'll fly in 10 mph wind (better in the wind and much faster with 8c. It's got a load of power so I'm going to add rudder. ROG's should be a piece of cake and I can't wait to see if the wing pops off in a snap roll.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:54 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
Well, Dan, i'm currently swapping e-mails with Astro Bob and it looks like he has snuck something new in on us again. Of course, this won't help you with an RFFS100 controlled Acro-Bipe.

He has the Acro-Bipe flying on a 4:1 FireFly coreless motor using a new metal gearbox. Here are some quotes as I "pry" more information from him.

Quote:
Our new metal gearbox for the Astro Firefly SmCobalt Coreless motor almost doubles the power available for indoor flying. The new 4:1 planetary gear motor (p/n 799) now includes a 4.7 inch Gunther prop comesand our a special 1 amp speed control.
Quote:
It spins a Gunther prop at 6500 rpm on 7 cells and draws 850 ma. The plane (Acro-Bipe)weighs 4.5 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:58 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
P.S. Dan, are you getting my e-mails???
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:03 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Mikerjf,
I understand that you can fit the Acro-Bipe with GWS gear but it sounds like it would be pretty heavy and therefore a screamer. I am looking to convert it for easy comfortable indoor flying (not a do-circles/ovals-barely-missing-the-walls flying). I realize it probably isn't going to be areobatic, thats not my goal. I was trying to see if the Acro-bipe would be a suitable ARF for the RFFS-100. I think it would be if I could find a suitable power-plant but my lack of experience with other systems other then the RFFS-100 is showing through. If I had time and money to experiment I'm sure I wouldn't be so uninformed. The problem is I work so I can have the money to experiment and then lack the time to do the experiments. This working for a living thing stinks!

Sincerely,
Dan
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:06 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Greg,
Yes I am. Unfortunately my evenings have been very busy with other things like cars, house, wife so I haven't had a chance to answer. You can email me at dhurd@sodexhousa.com if you like or post PM's on here (I cleaned out my inbox I didn't realize there was a limit on the number of messages allowed).

Sincerely,
Dan
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:08 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Greg,
I may be mistaken but 4.7 oz for the acro-bipe still seems a little high. I think it would make a fast flyer. I could be mistaken though (DEFINATELY wouldn't be the first time. )

Dan
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:12 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
Thanks, Dan. No priority, we've been having e-mail server problems lately.

The private message system is difficult to swap numerous e-mails on. It fills up fast! Even faster when your a moderator.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:18 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
Dan,

I am actually happy to hear that the RFFS100 powered the Acro-Bipe control surfaces ok.

If I decided to convert one, I will likely go this route for a slow, docile version to be flown indoors.

I'll bet 3 or 4 cells of 50mAh NiCd would work fine on your KP00 motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:37 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I'll fix the motor and take some pics for you. Keep in mind though I don't know how it's going to fly yet.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 01:25 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Check the posts

Dan;

The N20 version done by Jason Nowell is a sedate indoor flyer.

Jason Nowell

Phil. I pay $15 at Hobby Lobby....it's worth it

On another note, I just finished my newest Acro Bipe and it's all up weight is 2.8 ounces and it flys like a dream. This is by far my best one yet.

I used aileron and elevator again, but this time I used an N-20 geared 4:1 with a Zagi prop. The 6 120mAh NiMh cells give me just over 4 minutes of flight. The light weight makes for a much better flying plane. The rocket GWS version was fun and very aerobatic, but the new one can be flown in the smallest of places. A full court basketball gym would be more than enough space....so far I have only flown it outdoors though. it handles the wind better than I could have hoped for.

I used GWS reciever and Jamara Bit servos (like a CS-10 but lighter and without the ball bearings). I did all the weight saving things like removing the connector block, replacing much of the wire with magnet wire, etc.

I'll post some flying pics soon, but wanted to let you guys know that a geared N-20 is plenty of power. I wasn't too sure if it would pull it or not, but it didn't let me down.

Jason

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Last edited by Mikerjf; Mar 14, 2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 02:02 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I saw that post before and I have the utmost respect for someone who has the skill and patience to make the Acro-bipe that light with standard micro gear. I guess the big thing is that I don't have the time to spend lightening everything up (or maybe I'm just lazy ). I would rather just slap the gear in and go. The conversion I did took me maybe 4 hours with most of that spent just trying to figure out how to do the conversion. I could probably do one in a couple of hours now. I'm pretty sure all it may need is just a lighter battery pack to make it work. Or at worst a different motor/prop package. I haven't given up on this one yet.

Sincerely,
Dan
Old Mar 14, 2002, 02:21 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,906 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the re-cap. I'm glad to see that others are also distinguishing between the types of conversions; hot and heavier or light and slower.

Both have their own appeal.

Regards.
RCG Plus Member