HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2002, 01:29 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
not from what I saw in the rc microflight review. I THINK it was 0.79a, but I'll look it up to make sure...

removing the canopy and goofy pilot, ball bearing, and all the rubber power stuff (bushing and rubber anchor in back) and I got the empty airframe down to exactly an ounce... not too bad!!! I think it may just work...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2002, 01:44 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I have GOT to get me some scales soon.
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Mar 10, 2002, 06:30 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
Almost done with the conversion. Hey Greg did you figure out where the cg is for the ff version? Just have to add the battery pack and should be done.

Sincerely,
Dan
Old Mar 10, 2002, 06:36 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
how are you converting it? rfs, 4x50nicad? what motor?

I'm thinking gws edf motor direct drive maybe on 2-3 cells?
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:00 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
Opualuan,

I've been thinking about the gws edf motor direct too. I bought a couple to experiment with. Have you tried flying anything with one yet?
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old Mar 10, 2002, 07:20 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
tried it in motocalc, almost 3 amps of current, way too much imho... definitely a no-go with the rfs system. I'm going to be testing the edf motor geared on a 6oz plane, way too much for a 2-2.5oz plane... n20 also seems marginal limited to an amp. I dunno. haven't messed with this size of plane before, all the options I'm seeing are a dead end, when limited to 4 cells, 1 amp. you need something that consumes less current than the gws stuff, and uses less cells than the wes-tech stuff and astro firefly (like 8-10 cells!!!). tough... m20? lv/hv n20 (b2?) ? I just don't know, and I don't have the specs for these motors to run through motocalc to guesstimate for me...
Old Mar 10, 2002, 08:18 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I'm trying the kp00 geared mostly because I have a ready supply of them. Going to try three cells and then four if three aren't enough. It's definately not going to be aerobatic but even at just a putter around plane it would be cool.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 03:18 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,260 Posts
Dan,

The Acro-Bipe CG is about 1.75" back from the center of the top wing. As a stock free-flight plane, it was difficult to trim and the supplied rubber bands are pretty lame.

I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I am thinking now of either trying the Pixel or the White Baron for my next RFFS100 project. I have plenty of Takeoff 2000 foam wings.

I set us up for next month's demonstration and gave a little preview during the pilots meeting at the beginning of the meet. Many people were asking for spec. sheets (or advertisements).

Talk to you soon.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 11, 2002, 06:36 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I snapped the elevator at the joint trying to bend some trim into it to keep it from stalling... the motor only turns for about 10 seconds, might as well just glide it! a lousy ff plane, hopefully it can be made into a good rc plane... it may need a gws, lahti dpc's, and a 4:1 firefly or so to make it fly like it's supposed to... it would be great if there was a higher voltage/amperage or optional esc version of the rfs out there... lesse... $60 for birds, $30 for lahtis, $30 for gws, $20 for an esc... $140 plus the motor, guess it's not that bad, weighs a lot more but may be better for this bipe...

just talked with astro bob, he helped convert an acrobipe using wes servos, shr rx, and firefly... 3.5oz auw, though!!!
Old Mar 13, 2002, 05:48 PM
djv
Part Time Auger Operator
Topeka KS
Joined Mar 2002
179 Posts
Was just at Hobby Lobby (the lame one, not the one with the RC stuff) and they had one of these there. The demons in my head started screaming, and I had to satiate them by buying it. So, who's had decent sucess with it? dhurd? opualuan? Fly_joy?
djv is offline Find More Posts by djv
Old Mar 13, 2002, 06:50 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
nothin yet. I am still waiting for my hitec-shift remote to come in the mail to use the rfs system. I think the kp00 is too weak, and I don't know if the n20 will work, who knows... I'd really like it to be aerobatic. my empty frame is an ounce, maybe it could be lighened with some holes in the fat fuse.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 07:11 PM
djv
Part Time Auger Operator
Topeka KS
Joined Mar 2002
179 Posts
Been looking at GWS's site, I'm thinking about this setup:

GWT-4 / FM Transmitter
R4P Receiver
2 PICO+ servos
ICS 50 ESC
GW/BP5N110 (5 cell AAA size 6V 110mah)
GW/LPS-B2C-C motor/gearset
EP7060 prop

Think I can jam it all in there? To get access to the internals, I carefully sliced along the seam all around the fuselage, and dug out the ball bearing and took out the plastic bushing from the prop. After I get the gets in it, I'll glue it back together and chop a access hatch out of the top as was suggested earlier. It's likely to be a VERY tight fit, and I'm probbaly going to have to get creative to get it all shoved in this little fuselage. It should be fun though. Any one have any input on those choices? (I'm sure GWS4CEO will be happy. )
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:27 PM
djv
Part Time Auger Operator
Topeka KS
Joined Mar 2002
179 Posts
Well, took bits of cardboard, layed out the whole interior based on the lxwxh measurements online, and it looks like it would all fit, but 1) By the time I got done figuring up all the parts, it was ~260 bucks for a full setup including TX and chargers, (for that much I can get a more tame trainer setup) and 2) the wing loading would likely be too high for an effective indoor plane, at least at my skill level. This thing would probably have to fly pretty hot to stay in the air with all that stuff in it. So for now I've shelved this project, and gone with the default rubber-powered configuration. My (almost)4yo son should have some fun with it. Anyhow, hobby lobby's got more where that came from if I decide to go for it later down the road. Looks like a good project for someone more experienced though. The control horns for the servos would have to stick out the sides via slots cut in the fuselage, the RX and ESC could both be glued to the upper part of the fuselage, under the upper wing cabanes, leaving plenty of room for a battery. You'd prolly have to do quite a bit of cutting to get the motor in, but it wouldn't be too bad. Good luck to anyone who tried to take it up, and let me know if it works out for you!
Old Mar 14, 2002, 09:45 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,260 Posts
It looks like there are several basic approaches to take for converting the Acro-Bipe to R/C.

One is keeping it light so that it flies slower and more docile for indoor flying using rudder/elevator controls.

Another is adding more power for aerobatics that will also make it heavier and faster. Folks here are typically using aileron/elevator controls.

A question for Dan...

If we wanted to use an RFFS100 with a .5amp motor like the Astro Flight FireFly, is there a tap somewhere on the module for channel 3 throttle control to an external ESC?

Regards.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:33 AM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I dunno Greg. I would have to say that somewhere on the board you would be able to get the pulse train coming from the receiver as that is what we feed into our micro processor but you would need to have something to decode the pulse train to send the appropriate signal to the esc. So probably not without an external decoder. I'll check on that though and get you a definate answer. I'm not up on the firefly motor so forgive me if this seems like a silly question but why do you need an external esc? Is it brushless?

Sincerely,
Dan