HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2002, 03:54 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
you mean that plastic bushing for the rubber prop? how did you get it out? I don't want to destroy the front of the plane... how much you figure it weighs?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2002, 04:59 PM
AMA 112747
Neptune Beach FL USA
Joined Nov 2000
886 Posts
BIG Metal Ball

There is a Big metal Ball in the nose of the Acro Bipe. You have to dig it out. Cut a slot out of the nose section to install your motor and take the ball out. It is heavy. It is there to correct the CG in plane. You are going to have to do some cutting or get your orthoscopic gear out and go through the fuselage. If you leave it in you are carrying around an extra 8 grams.
beachflyer is offline Find More Posts by beachflyer
Old Mar 04, 2002, 07:04 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
whoa! that makes the airframe an rfs possibility if it was carrying around an extra 8g...

I'll look at it and see if I can figure out where it is...

what's the most powerful combo to pull a plane like this into the air without going over an amp? will a gws dd on a 3x2 be too much? geared n20? puma? I don't know the amp draws of these small motors...
Old Mar 05, 2002, 07:09 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Drives

The GWS dd 3x2 pulls 1.6 to 2A (6 to 8c), the N20 geared pulls .6 to .9 depending on the prop 4.5x4 GWS to 4.9x4.3 Gunther. The GWS dd can be mounted on a motor plate covering the hole you make cutting out the plastic bushing (cut around it with an Xacto). The N20 is easiest if you cut a hood. The radio gear mounts nicely if you cut the top 1/2 of the fuse from the rear cabane to the rear of the cockpit and hinge it with tape to make a hatch.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Last edited by Mikerjf; Mar 05, 2002 at 09:17 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2002, 12:43 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
excellent... looks like the n20 is the perfect amp draw, and the gunther prop 'looks right' on the fuse, even sorta looks like the rubber prop on there...

now, how much thrust will the geared n20 produce with the gunther?

wouldn't it be easier to use the vl products inline n20 gearbox for mounting in the rubber bushing hole? (once it's cut out)...
Old Mar 05, 2002, 01:39 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
N20's

I've been building my own N20 geardrives so I don't know about the mounting. As far as info is concerned Gordon Johnson was kind enough to post a bunch of stuff. Try http://home.attbi.com/~gordonjohnson

Mike
Old Mar 05, 2002, 11:22 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
none of the links on his page work... seems like a great resource, but something's wrong with the page!
Old Mar 05, 2002, 11:57 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
The links worked for me (Konqueror on Linux) but he has a lot of broken pictures.

I have a pair of the nifty little bipe and am too looking for a suitable power system.

Cheers,
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Mar 06, 2002, 12:05 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
does http://home.attbi.com/~gordonjohnson...owerSupply.htm

that link work?
Old Mar 06, 2002, 03:23 PM
Auburn Ca.
Joined Dec 2001
37 Posts
Acro Bipe.

The Astro Firefly motor flyes my Acrobipe around with great performance and the bushing in the nose of the plane is the right size to hold the motor so the motor mount is done for you. Im using a GWS 5-4.3 and 8, 50 nicd or 110 nimh and getting long flights. Two Wes-tech 2.5 servos mounted under the pilot, access through the belly. Elevator halfs are connected with small wire between them and hinged with thin mylar stripes. Total weight is 3.4 oz. There is a video clip of it flying at the Mid-Winter Electrics that someone has posted I'll look for the link and post it....
Eric S. is offline Find More Posts by Eric S.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 06:27 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Wish GWS new LPS will be your next choice.

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...system/lps.htm

The lightest one is combine with GWS B2C motor, also can choice RXC ( IPS 7.2V ) or RLC ( EDF50 motor, but since different load, here will be recommanced operated at 4.8V )
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Mar 08, 2002, 07:14 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
GWS4CEO

Love to try some of your new stuff but nobody's got it yet. Kepp up the good work (Love your equipment)

Thanks

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2002, 09:19 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,885 Posts
Houng-wen Lin,

Your LPS-B2C power system looks like a good choice for this application. Hopefully, the local US distribution will supply this line soon.

For you IPS power systems, it would be nice if you could add the weights to your Web site just like the LPS power systems.

Regards.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 08, 2002, 09:28 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,885 Posts
Dan,

I got my Acro-Bipe yesterday so I can take it to the indoor meet on Saturday for free-flight testing. I'll mark the proper CG setting just like I did with the Micro Taxi.

After looking at the plastic nose opening, I can see why using a direct drive GWS motor or AF FireFly looks so attractive.

The Acro-Bipe is smaller than I was expecting. After initial inspection, I am still uncertain if it will work with an RFFS100 and KP00.

Does the KP00 on 4 cells with a U80 prop draw more than the 1 amp ESC limitation in the RFFS100?

Regards.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Mar 08, 2002, 11:50 AM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
you know, I asked my dad that and he just kinda grunted. Maybe gordon or fritts would know the answer. I was just going to try it I never thought about it drawing too many amps.

Dan
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd