SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Mountain Models Magpie build thread

Not sure if this has been started yet so I thought I would start one.

This is a thread to post all of your build tips and built pictures along with anything else pertaining to the Magpie.

I am doing mine with the sport wing using the GWS 350 power system that is supplied from Mountain Models.

The manual calls for using 3M 77 adhesive but through other threads I have found two other options that are much safer with foam. Both are available at any craft store such as Michaels. One is Elmers Craft Bond which is an acid free extra strength spray adhesive. The other is 3M Spray adhesive for Styrofoam cat. no. 6070.

I did test sprays with both of these on the packing for my Magpie wings and neither had any eating effect on the foam yet were very sticky.

The other two adhesives I am using are 5 min epoxy and oderless foam safe CA. I am using the 5 min epoxy on critical areas such as adding the plastic strapping to the fuse and wing and for attaching the control horns to the ailerons, elevator and rudder. Other wise I an using the lighter CA for non critical areas. I have use the foam safe CA for gluing foma together with very good results in the past with my Stryker and othe foam models. I have found that the CAed joint is stronger then the foam itself and that breaks happen in places away from the CAed repairs I have made on my Stryker.

Other critical needs for the build are Mountain Dew or Coffee and in my case a little copenhagen. Do not forget a lockable door to the room you will be working in to keep the wife and kids from bothering the heck out of you.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:59 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
There is also a Magpie build/review thread here in the beginners forum.

My Magpie is all but finished (waiting on battery and a new radio), and I've thoroughly enjoyed the building process. Hopefully I'll get to maiden it next weekend. I am still only halfway through writing up the build.

I look forward to hearing about your build Rat.

Murray
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:14 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Took a few pics of my Magpie as it sits right now with no electronics etc.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:17 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Oh this is my first time covering anything whether it be wing tape or regular covering. This is done in wing tape. Yes there are a few wrinkles etc in it but I am sure I will get better as I build more models.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2004
2 Posts
Wing tape...

Just curious if anyone is using tape other than the wing tape provided by Mountain Models. I've not seen packing tape other than clear in the hardware stores. Do craft stores like Michales sell packing tape in other colors?

Surely there must be a local place to get this stuff. ?
Flutterwing is offline Find More Posts by Flutterwing
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:01 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
Rat,
If you have a hobby iron (or can borrow one), it is possible to shrink the tape and get a pretty smooth finish. You just have to be careful not to melt the foam underneath the tape. I tried this on my MM Panic, after seeing it recommended in other posts, and it works very well. If you think you will eventually build balsa models requiring covering, you will need the iron eventually anyway. Btw, I like the covering scheme. It really stands out. Good luck with the maiden flight. I'm sure it will go very, very well for you.
Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:07 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2002
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Oh this is my first time covering anything whether it be wing tape or regular covering. This is done in wing tape. Yes there are a few wrinkles etc in it but I am sure I will get better as I build more models.
Rat,

Your Magpie looks pretty darn good to me. You'll have a lot of fun with that plane.

--Gary
maxalentix is offline Find More Posts by maxalentix
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:11 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Rat, your taping job looks very good for a first time to me. It's an ambitious design too; I didn't have the courage to try anything like that with mine. You seem to have done an excellent job with the pattern. How did you do it?
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:18 PM
tucson az
Joined Sep 2003
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Not sure if this has been started yet so I thought I would start one.

This is a thread to post all of your build tips and built pictures along with anything else pertaining to the Magpie.

<big snip>
It's beginning to look like the Magpie series planes are a fun platform for experimentation based on the threads I have seen so far.

Personally, I think it's -the- "Slow Stick killer" of the year...more fun in a breeze and tougher, too. Plus better looking...Looks more like a "real" plane!

My second Magpie was built with just the wing and fuselage straps and then Nelson type lightweight covering. I sprayed 3M 77, put on the cover on and then gently ironed out the wrinkles. Worked great...and five oz lighter (15 oz) compared to my first Magpie with the tape cover.

Not as tough perhaps...but a fun slow flyer and still stable in breezes up to 15 mph.

I'm allergic to epoxy and I'm curious to see what else Doug at Mountain Models has in mind for reinforcement...he mentioned in a thread that he is working on some ideas...

The motor's a PJS that provides plenty of power...

I can use any battery from a 760 mAh to a 1.2 a li-poly in the slot without any CG problems to speak of. Batteries are held in with Velcro.
Hangar-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hangar-Flyer
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Nice job!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Also, isn;t a steerable rail wheel a great mod idea?? For funky packing tape, try the post office or an office supply place - Xmas red and green are in stock now.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:30 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
RUTAT +++++++ Liked your taping job... Like to know how ya did it..

Or can ya recommend a book or site that explanes or has tutorials on packing taping planes ???

thanks Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:33 AM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Here is my Magpie. It has the stock GWS 350 motor and 650mah Kan nimh batteries. I elected to mount my battery on the underside of the fuse..very easy to balance at the COG.
I did not like the idea of cutting a hole for the servos, so I mounted mine in the space for the receiver, then mounted the receiver on the outside of the fuse. The servos are sandwhiched between two pieces of balsa and are held in place in this "sandwhich" form with velcro. The "servo sandwhich is then inserted into the slot for the receiver and is held there by pieces of scrap foam wedged between the balsa and the upper surface of the opening.
I repllaced the plastic reinforcement strips with the reinforcemnt tape that Doug sells. Covering is a combination of solite and Doug's clear covering material. The plane is very light, yet very strong.
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:55 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I know have the electronics installed but do not have the speed controller hooked up or battery installed. For the speed controller I was not aware they did nto come with connectors for the battery or the motor and I do not have the battery pack as of yet as they were backordered at Mountain models. Today I am going to work on the landing gear.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:45 PM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Rat, whoa, that's really sharp!
Hanger, if you can't use epoxy try Pro Bond.
Matthew
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder