HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:56 AM
corinth, ms
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
do i need normal rotation or revers rotation to use with gearbox?

i'm ordering a 400 motor to use with my gws gearbox and i was wondering if i needed normal rotation or reverse rotation motor?
daltrey is offline Find More Posts by daltrey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:00 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
A normal rotation 400 can be made to a reverse one by swapping the red and black motor leads on the motor. Some higher performance 400's are timed optimally for reverse rotating props (e.g. Zagi motors), but I doubt you'd notice the difference.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
corinth, ms
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
they offer the motor in both normal and reverse and i was just wondering which one i need for my gearbox?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:20 PM
How do I land this thing?
Joined Jul 2002
448 Posts
Gws gear boxes would do better with the reverse rotation motor. I'd mildly disagree with Electrick. I always retime my 400 speed motors. The difference can be quite noticable.
BigShark is offline Find More Posts by BigShark
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:29 PM
corinth, ms
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
looking at the front of the plane the pinion gear is turning clockwise running. is this normal or reverse rotation?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:21 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltrey
looking at the front of the plane the pinion gear is turning clockwise running. is this normal or reverse rotation?
It is reverse rotation.
I always try to refer to the motor direction from the pilot's seat perspective;
If you imagine that you are sitting in the pilot's seat of a single tractor motored model plane, the prop will normally turn clockwise which requires a geared motor in a GWS style gearbox to turn counterclockwise.

If you are standing in front of this same plane, the prop would appear to be turning counterclockwise and the geared motor would be turning clockwise.

If you mount the motor/gearbox backwards for a pusher style plane, then the motor has to run in the opposite direction from above to spin the prop in the correct direction.

Clear as mud, right?

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI