HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2004, 05:22 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
GWS at AMA Show, (Dragonfly Announcement) Ontario CA Jan 7-9!

This is an announcement notice!
GWS will be at the Ontario AMA show in January 2005 and they will be doing some special things at the show. To help you they are asking you to help them. If you are coming to the AMA show and have a Dragonfly that you are having trouble with please bring it with your radio and a charged battery. Steve Lo their design expert will be at the show from Taiwan and he will check out your Dragonfly and adjust the set-up on the dials to help correct the problem. (For many that takes care of the problem.) They are making a new small heat sink that will be available to every Dragonfly owner that needs one in about a month. That helps with the heat problem some of the Dragonfly owners have experienced. Steve will have these available at the show for those who bring in their Dragonfly. The are working hard on a new unit that replaces the PHB-01 and hope (planning) to have it available to install at the show if necessary. Steps 1 and 2 will be tried first as I undersand it. If 1 & 2 don't solve the problem then they will move on to step 3. This will immediately help those of you who are able to attend the show at getting your Dragonfly working correctly. It will let Steve Lo and others from GWS see first hand what problems are being experienced and how best to fix them. That information will help them move forward at helping anyone with a problem next month and in the future.
If you are experiencing what you believe to be an over heating problem with your Dragonfly please write a short letter of explination about your problem and send your letter to GWS USA (address will be at the bottom of this post). As soon as available GWS will mail you at no charge this heat sink with instructions on where to install it. As I understood Mr. Lin the heat sink will be available sooner then the replacement unit they are working on which they hope to have in limited production to get units to the AMA show and have them available to others as well. Mr. Lin has previously announced how to get those units when they become available and I didn't get any update or change concerning that.
From talking to Mr. Lin it seems Steve Lo is finding most of the Dragonflys fly well on low gain but many set on high gain and that generates more heat and leads to problems. Helping those that bring their Dragonfly to the show while helping them immediately will allow GWS to start helping everyone else and get the correct solution.
PART II Mr. Steve Lo will be putting on a seminar on how to adjust and tune the Dragonfly for best performance and trouble shooting and how steps 2 and 3 are done. This will be especially helpful to hobby shop owners and employees who can share this information and use it if any of their customers have problems with the Dragonfly.
Conclusion: It would be very helpful to you and to GWS if you are having a problem with your Dragonfly to please bring it to the AMA show for an expert to help correct the situation. If you are havoing an overheating problem write in for the free heatsink. If you are sure you are at step 3 and have been posting in other threads with Mr. Lin he is not delaying or backing off what he has told you. He is simply working for proper solution for everyone.
The above is based on my understanding from a phone conversation with Mr. Lin. If I misunderstood anything I am sure Mr. Lin will correct me. It was a good conversation and many things were discussed and I didn't take notes.
Moderator Mike
GWS USA, inc.
138 South Brent Circle
City of Industry, CA 91789-3050
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Dec 11, 2004 at 05:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:03 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Welcome to bring your GWS Dragonfly ( But not the similar China copy ) to GWS booth.

GWS RD members will be glad to help you set-up. But you must learn carefully!

Then, it's your tearm to help the others who can't come to this great show!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:16 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
I spoke to Mark Wood yesterday. He said that the demo fly area will be bigger than last year. GWS will bring flyers together and have a good show.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Dec 15, 2004, 05:11 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Can I have the one Steve flew in the videos?

Some time flyer will ask: Can I have the one Steve flew in the videos?
http://www.gws.com.tw/images/vcd/dragonfly-5.mpg
http://www.gws.com.tw/images/vcd/dragonfly-6.mpg

But, it's just any one GWS Dragonfly pick up from the GWS production line! However, a fine adjustment proceedure will make her fly better.

Any one GWS Dragonfly ( not been crashed yet ) can be re-setup to be like Mr. Steve Lo's if adjust carefully!

We are going to help GWS Dragonfly owner to leran "how set up her correctly" during AMA2005 Ontario show, Nurunberg Toy Fair,....in any chance might have.

I even think there is a set-up jig should be redesigned to be a jig-tool for every Micro Heli flyers. It's too heavy now, need to be lighten and cost down by massive production!

It's pitty when GWS RD Mr. Steve Lo station in USA for helping GWS Dragonfly adjusted to be best condition, he is very quiet person to flyer, did not tell them step by step to accomplish the re-set process!

I am asking him to say and write down in Chinese, so the other staffs can translate to English better.

The funny thing is: Steve is born in Hawaii, but return to Taiwan since he was still a bady. He is an America Possport holder! I know my English is very poor, but Steve is even worse!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:01 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
set up more accurate in the center point, will less the off-set out of GREEN zone!

Steve said: Most beginer had over reaction of the control, servos running too much current build the heat of BEC that affect to Gyro sensor. That's why we need a give a free heat-sink to GWS Dragonfly flyers to keep BEC cool.

But I know that very skill pilots also get same trouble when not not stay at hovering, they really start to run servos hardly too for manuval...

But if the initial set up more accurate in the center point, will less the off-set out of GREEN zone range.

It's not easy to find out the center point without a sensitive test turn table! Yet, the heavy landing or crash hardly may also cause the balance condition gone! That cause off-set out of the GREEN zone range again, will need re-set again possibly.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:46 PM
Joined Jul 2004
145 Posts
Why don't you record the AMA show in ontario for setup and then post it online somewhere for us to download or request a copy of. Most of us cannot go.
frodus is offline Find More Posts by frodus
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:53 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
Good idea Frotus. I will be at the show with my digital video camera. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:34 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Dec 2004
52 Posts
see below sellis responce
sellis4740 is offline Find More Posts by sellis4740
Last edited by sellis4740; Dec 15, 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:55 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis4740
.... " initial set up more accurate in the center point, will less the off-set out of GREEN zone range. It's not easy to find out the center point without a sensitive test turn table!"
GWS RD test pilots alway hold by hand instead lock it on turn table.

It's quicker but very danger!

But, pls do not do likewise in order not to get hurt!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:59 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Dec 2004
52 Posts
1st Thank you from a USA customer that wants to see your product work.

2nd. You are doing a great job on trying to figure out the problem and a solution

Suggestion to you and R&D

3rd.Your Quote. " initial set up more accurate in the center point, will less the off-set out of GREEN zone range. It's not easy to find out the center point without a sensitive test turn table!"
A.) We as Consumers in USA and Around the WORLD do not have these tools avaiable to us. How about, if you add a mark of the Center point on the PHA/B-01 circut board to show where the recomened adjustments shoud be. Or included the documentation in the owners manual and websites.
B.) Or re design the PHB-01 to automaticly adjust Based on flying enviroment and balance. (That is not a easy Task)

4th Your Qoute. "Yet, the heavy landing or crash hardly may also cause the balance condition gone! That cause off-set out of the GREEN zone range again, will need re-set again possibly."
A.) Replace the landing gear with something like Heli Hobby hop up parts offers. This will reduce Landing gear replacements and Reduce shock on the electronics installed on the DF. There for maybe we all will not have to readjust settings from a minor crash. I know this will increase inital cost of the DF. But the cost savings in the long run will benifit you and the consumer.

B.) The Head stiniffer is very weak.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/dragon_fly_upgrades.html

Once again I know you are trying to market a affordable HELI but mabe you need to improve on this also.
sellis4740 is offline Find More Posts by sellis4740
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:28 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS lady.

Welcome to AMA 2005 Ontario show, pls visit GWS booth!

Come on! Fly GWS Dragonfly with me together!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 04:46 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2004
191 Posts
Will she or rather can she fly that thing???hehehe
silentfly is offline Find More Posts by silentfly
Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:42 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Lisa flew with 747 for 7 years!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2004
145 Posts
that would make her....something like 12 when she started flying planes?
frodus is offline Find More Posts by frodus
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:21 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
what's her age you are guessing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodus
that would make her....something like 12 when she started flying planes?
So, what's her age you are guessing?

Teen aged?