HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2004, 03:13 PM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Sig Riser 2m conversion to electric

I have a Sig Riser 2m that I bought about 10 years ago and I would like to build it as an electric glider. Has anyone done this conversion? I'm wondering what motor/prop/battery to try. I was thinking one of the smaller AXI brushless with a couple of Lipo's might work but I'm unsure as to which one.

Does this seem like a worthwhile project or is the Riser unsuited to the task?

Thanks for any suggestions and insight.
Bob
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2004, 04:24 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,120 Posts
Build it - do it - don't be scared...What do you have to lose? I have done a conversion on a 99" glider - and it all worked well. The biggest problem I had was getting started... it always is for me. I'll spend months debating, designing, thinking and putting it off - until the day I get off my butt - and get the whole thing done in about an hour.

Thermal - do you have flying exp? Do you have electric exp? If not - read the FAQ at the bottom of this (and every other page) on the ezone. For 2m birds- I reccomend a 500/550/600 (all the same size) motor and a gearbox with 8 cells. A frugal yet worthy setup will run you about:

$30.00 motor (Kyosho ENDOPLASMA or ATOMIC FORCE) towerhobbies.com
$30.00 Inline Gearbox 3.33 or 3.8 to 1 (MPJet are good brand) aircraft_wold.com
$25.00 prop/hub aircraft-world.com
$45.00 8 cell FAUP battery.
The magic number is about 40 watts to a pound of plane (for gliders). Below 35 and you will struggle to gain altitude- the further you go above 40 - the more fun I have. I run about 60 to 70 watts per lb. on my planes.

Good luck
JimNM

There is a whole lot more to making a conversion - but until we know more about you and your plane, I can't be much more help.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 10, 2004, 05:04 PM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions;

I have been flying for 6 months, glow planes...a trainer (Alpha 40), a Hanger 9 Twist 40 and a 40 size pattern plane. I can fly all of these fairly well so I'd put myself as an apprentice intermediate flyer. I have flown a Slow Stick electric but that is all in the electric arena.

I really want to get into sailplanes but no one at the field I fly at is flying them so I'm pretty much on my own as to learning. I figured the electric route would be easier for me to begin with than trying to use a high start.

I'm like you in that I tend to take a long time to get started at something and then when I finally do it...I say "why didn't I do this earlier!"

Thanks for your help,
Bob
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
Old Aug 20, 2014, 08:30 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,279 Posts
motor options?

just finished my wing and getting excited about my first kit build and first sailplane. going to put a brush-less motor in the nose. recommendations on size of motor and folding prop specs? thanks a lot. walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd