HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:13 AM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
Gordon,

I wa just thinking of the Gasparin setups. I'm trying to decide on the right Walnut to tackle. My RFS-100 is in a littlebug right now. A fun plane, but I keep burning up the motor, which is a KP00. I am looking to get into something a little smaller and more scale. By the way, Gordon, your planes are sweet. Makes me interested in undertaking the foam construction.

Great thread guys.

Ethan
ESwartz is offline Find More Posts by ESwartz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:22 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESwartz
Gordon,

I wa just thinking of the Gasparin setups. I'm trying to decide on the right Walnut to tackle. My RFS-100 is in a littlebug right now. A fun plane, but I keep burning up the motor, which is a KP00. I am looking to get into something a little smaller and more scale. By the way, Gordon, your planes are sweet. Makes me interested in undertaking the foam construction.

Great thread guys.

Ethan
What prop and gear ratio are you using. The M20's I have appear to be industructable. The one currently in my Liddlebug is in a Kenway gearbox and is in its 3rd airframe at over a year old.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:26 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Gordon, your planes are sweet. Makes me interested in undertaking the foam construction.
Thanks. Um, I do balsa too. This one is likely to get a micro BL motor and be finished up at last.
http://home.comcast.net/~gordon-johnson/citabria.htm

I agree with Tiberius. Unless your M20 is over propped for the gear ratio they should not be burning up. See the motor constants thread listed in the Micro Thread Index. It's not a good idea to prop for RPM much below max power rpm.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:14 PM
LSB
Athens , Greece
Joined Jun 2004
44 Posts
You talked me into it so now please help me.
Started this bipe, made a simple profile (WS 18"), using an "el cheapo" (m20?) from Graham, 145mAh Lipo and GWS2510 dd.
Ready to fly weight 28 gr. Tested O.K. only climbs with difficulty.
Then full of confidence started the proper model, got carried away (spoked wheels, radiator cowling,etc) and ended up with a projected weight of 39 gr!.
I made a 4.2:1 gear box, and i am thinking of using GWS5030 prop.
Do you think this will be o.k. or do you have any other suggestions?. I do not want a flying bullet my piloting skills are near zero.
Thank you
LSB
LSB is offline Find More Posts by LSB
Last edited by LSB; Dec 22, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 02:44 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
A 5x3 at 4:1 should fly that OK. I find tht DD with these small motors is pretty tough although others make it work... The geared stuff always seems to fly.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Dec 22, 2004, 09:50 PM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
Sorry Gordon,

I guess I overlooked the balsa, because I was so impressed with your foam techniques, in particular the level of detail you achieve with the tissue paper covering.

As far as the M20, I have been using the standard gearbox from KP00 and Union 80 Prop. I ‘fuel’ is a 250 mah LiPo. I’m new to electrics, and so I may be burning up the battery. I do fly the plane around with full throttle for most of the time.

One more question. It may be a little off topic, but I’m building a Guillow’s Neuport, 24” wingspan. Where could I go for the best flight pack setup? Would the Cirrus servos be a good choice?

I don't think that I would have gotten back into R/C flying if it weren't for the ezone, and the guys that make it what it is.

Thanks

Ethan
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:36 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Mike has experience with Micro Joules's, I don't. But, they are supposed to be much improved. Personally I like the Falcon servos and the JMP servo combo RX with built in ESC. If you add up the weight of the Micro Joule RX and the separate ESC with it's heavy wiring and plugs I think you will find the JMP/Falcon setup to be lighter. I did a review of this setup in RCMicroflight a couple of months ago. BTW, a subscription to RCMF gets you online access to over four years of past issues. It's worth it.

Well, the plan is to cover that balsa Citabria with printed tissue like on my Pager Citabria. Stay tuned ...

But, I've got to start at least something on the Stampe. Too many projects.

Gordon
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:48 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Progress on the Bristol M1

All of the major structures are complete. here is the obligotory bone shot. I still have to fabricate the landing gear, and the upper flying wire supports.
I dont have a weight yet but it is very light.
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:31 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Here's a taste of what Olivier's kits are like. These are cut from 0.017 inches (about 1/64th) ply. There is actually a right and left side of the rudder, which has a thickness like the original, tapered at the LE and TE. Everything in the kit is as accurate a representation of the original structure as possible.

About that February deadline. I can just forgetaboutit. This is a plane to be savored while buildiing.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Dec 24, 2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:44 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Ethan,

The Cirrus MJ system is much improved from the original prototypes we saw a couple of years back. I've been using them since they were new, and I bought a few off the shelf a few months back; they both worked perfectly without having to take anything back, but if you do happen to get a bad component, Hobby People has the best return policy I know of. The servos are very smooth and return to center within a couple of degrees. You now can select either a 1-cell or a 2-cell ESC when you buy a flight pack. The all up system is heavier than the JMP/Falcon combo by a few grams. You can lose one of those grams when/if you replace the large JST plugs with lighter connections

The JMP/Falcon is a great system, I am delighted by the systems I have, and they are lighter then the MJ (~6 gram vs. ~9 1/2 grams), but also more expensive. The JMP and a couple of Falcons are about $200, while the MJ complete system is $150 (or $120 on sale - get on Hobby People's e-mail list for on-line sale flyers).

Also, the JMP has a built in ESC which is convienient, but the MJ ESC is rated at 5 amps so you can swing a lot of prop and the IPS power system is a plug-n-play set-up. The extra power you can apply to the motor may be an important factor in a 24" biplane, especially the Guillows which will run on the 'hefty' side. Guillows models are notoriously heavy, but they are well suited to carrying the extra weight an R/C system and electric power will add. Consider beefing up the LG and you should be good to go.

The only drawback to the Falcon servos (I have a BUNCH of them, too) is that they are a little trickier to mount and their throws are shorter than the MJs, but they are the lightest servos around.

One note that applies to either system - you do need to add a switch to the circuitry to turn on the power from the battery. Plugging in (like we can do with the actuator radios) will screw up the servo's limited logic an possibly jam the MJs or in the case of the Falcons, throw the spur gear off the worm gear. A micro switch prevents this.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:31 PM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I just finished reading the RCMF article written by Matt Keenon, and the article written by Gordon. I was wondering about a power plant, though. I don't know if the N20 will be able to pull the Guillows through the air. I think that I will be going with the JPM Falcon unit.

Gordon,

What peanut model are you working on? Where can you get them? I'm interested in seeing how the Cit. comes along.

Guys, thanks again for all of your help. It really makes things a lot easier.

Ethan
Old Dec 24, 2004, 07:41 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2004
136 Posts
Gordon,
that structure is really mouthwatering!!!
I'll have to try one of Olivier's kits someday.
Dennis
FFlover is offline Find More Posts by FFlover
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:09 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Ethan & Dennis,
Look in the Micro Threads Index, for the Vendor Thread. Olivier Petri is listed there. He has three planes right now, The Stampe (that I'm building), a new J3 Cub, and a Jodel D112. He says next up will be a Bleriot XI, then a Etrich Taube, Nieuport 17, and many more after that. I have his earlier J3 Cub, before he went to almost entirely light ply. His new Cub uses the same light ply technique as his Stampe (pictured above in this thread). Hope this helps.

Gordon
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:54 PM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
Gordon,

I did a search for Olivier Petri's kits. C'est Fantastique! Wow, I never thought that there were kits with such the level of detail and beauty of structure available. I now have made my decision to pruchase the Cub for the Walnut Scale Build.

Thanks for the help.

Ethan
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:58 PM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
On second thought, it looks as if the Cub is too big by two inches. Maybe the Stampe then.