SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:20 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Thanks for the tips LSB and Mike. I'll swing through the LHS for some 1/32"x1/16" bass tomrrow.

It occured to me while I was looking over the Baby Ace plans that the wintips laminated with the leading edge won't work because the tips are swept up. Makes them easier...probably...

Do you have a pic of your laminated parts Mike?

EDIT: On second thought, I'm pressing forward with what I have. It is due time to get moving. Building projects are begining to snowball and roll down hill
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiberius; Dec 14, 2004 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:35 PM
Gone Flyin'
Embrun near Ottawa Canada
Joined Oct 2003
190 Posts
That's the one. It is amazing what you will find lurking in the corners of the internet.

cheers, the other other Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor
I think this is a pirated copy of the plans on a Thai website: http://www.easyairplanes.com/images/plan/bat.pdf
planophore is offline Find More Posts by planophore
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:27 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Mike Taylor's Avatar
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Tim,

Here are the laminated parts I started the night before last. I looked at the plans, and you were right, the wing tips are supposed to be tilted up. Oh well...

The tail surfaces are ready to sand, cut apart, trim to size, and cover. Wing will be dry and ready to sand down tomorrow. Then comes the fuselage.

You know, I really do prefer a good laser cut kit
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Dec 14, 2004 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:35 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Nice work Mike!

Frammed the rudder and fin. I extended the fin tail post to the bottom of the fuse. I can just cut it off if it dosen't work out. First experience with Superphaltic. I like it so far. Time for bed now....
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
Gone Flyin'
Embrun near Ottawa Canada
Joined Oct 2003
190 Posts
Over in the scale modeling forum (forget which thread or person) I ran across a technique where he was using 1/64 ply in his laminations. I gave it a try and was quite pleased with the results. A bit heavier than bass wood but gave a very nice strong surface.

My adaptation is to use 2 or 3 layers of 1/32 balsa (medium A grain) with a strip of 1/64 ply on the outside of piece. I cut the ply narrower than the desired final thickness of the piece and lay it up so that the ply is at/near the centre of the leading edge of piece, the ply being much harder to sand than the balsa. A bit fiddly to set up but I have like the results. Bass is also a very good choice and nearly as tough as the 1/64 ply. I will post some pictures later of a piece done this way.

Another tip from reading about FF techniques is to use 1/16 aluminum tubing for the outlines of horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Very scale like and if the size of the model is large enough you won't notice the difference. Easy to bend to shape over a former and not need to laminate and glue wet. For this size model I think this method would be a bit heavy but I may make a couple of pieces and weigh them to see. I have used this on larger (24" or so wingspan) planes. I will post a picture of a piece made this way later.

Now, I just gotta figure out what motor I am going to use. Lets see, Walnut size plane, 2 ounces all up (max Est) and single lipoly cell.

And, I just received a MPS V2 micro receiver (for actuators). Very nicely made, as nice as the JMP or RFFS-100 and narrowband too. Haven't had the chance to test it out yet but once I do I will be sure to post my comments.

Cheers, the other other Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
Thanks for the tips LSB and Mike. I'll swing through the LHS for some 1/32"x1/16" bass tomrrow.

It occured to me while I was looking over the Baby Ace plans that the wintips laminated with the leading edge won't work because the tips are swept up. Makes them easier...probably...

Do you have a pic of your laminated parts Mike?

EDIT: On second thought, I'm pressing forward with what I have. It is due time to get moving. Building projects are begining to snowball and roll down hill
planophore is offline Find More Posts by planophore
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 02:31 PM
Registered User
FFlover's Avatar
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2004
136 Posts
Nice work Mike.
Did you use ailerons on both wings of your Pitts and how big were they?
I started building the sideframes of the Jungmeister today,was wondering if I should stick with the flat bottom wing profile(I want to use molded sliced ribs) or switch to something else?
Dennis
FFlover is offline Find More Posts by FFlover
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 03:14 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Mike Taylor's Avatar
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Dennis,

The Pitts I modeled was an early version with ailerons on the lower wing only. They are 5/8" wide and match the scale size and location. In this narrow a wing span, not much control is really needed unless you want real snappy rolls!

I used the flat bottomed airfoil shown on the plans. It may have been too thick (or maybe the design was just too draggy) since the flight speed was pretty slow compared to others similarly powered and weighted designs I have flown. As you can see, there is a lot of nose for the amount of airplane! The design I used was David Jone's plans featured in a 1971 issue of Model Builder, and is avalable from Hannan's Runway or Peck-Polymers for $2.35
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:09 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
enrico74ec's Avatar
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
603 Posts
Pacific ace embryo

Hi there,

A few months ago I started building a pacific ace embryo, it has 14 inch span and I was trying it as a test bed for undercamber airfoil wing test. Here a are some pics of what I have built so far. I was wondering, could I enter with this in the cook up. I know it is not dime scale but a larger free flight ship I did build for about 30 Inch wing span flew deligthfully!

Regards

Enrico
enrico74ec is offline Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:20 PM
Gone Flyin'
Embrun near Ottawa Canada
Joined Oct 2003
190 Posts
here is a picture of a piece made with 1/16 aluminium tube for the outline. Not suitable for a walnut size plane but a good technique non the less. I think I might try it anyways and compare in weight to one made with laminated balsa and bass and another perhaps made of bamboo.

Weight of this part around 1 gram
planophore is offline Find More Posts by planophore
Last edited by planophore; Dec 16, 2004 at 04:22 PM. Reason: omision
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 PM
Registered User
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFlover
Nice work Mike.
Did you use ailerons on both wings of your Pitts and how big were they?
I started building the sideframes of the Jungmeister today,was wondering if I should stick with the flat bottom wing profile(I want to use molded sliced ribs) or switch to something else?
Dennis

If you are planning on scale flight speeds, then I would say add undercamber to the airfoil. It will have a big effect and you will not regret it as long as you dont fly it inverted.
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 02:03 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thomas B's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor
Dennis,

The Pitts I modeled was an early version with ailerons on the lower wing only. They are 5/8" wide and match the scale size and location. In this narrow a wing span, not much control is really needed unless you want real snappy rolls!

I used the flat bottomed airfoil shown on the plans. ..........
Nice job on the Pitts.

The common version of the Pitts with a non symmetrical airfoil and lower ailerons only is the Pitts S-1C. The famous "Li'l Stinker" was a S-1C.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico74ec
Hi there,

A few months ago I started building a pacific ace embryo, it has 14 inch span and I was trying it as a test bed for undercamber airfoil wing test. Here a are some pics of what I have built so far. I was wondering, could I enter with this in the cook up. I know it is not dime scale but a larger free flight ship I did build for about 30 Inch wing span flew deligthfully!

Regards

Enrico
I think that at 14 inches your model meets the spirit of the build. It certainly looks like a scale model. I encourage you to build away. Join the fun.

Walter
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:16 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
derk's Avatar
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
If I build an old style glider can i build an origonal launch plane? i want to build the glider with rc and a free flight piggy back carrier to get it up in the air and when the plane slows down, the glider is still going fast so it slides out of the rig.
either that or a remote release. think it'll work?

Derrik
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:54 PM
Registered User
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
If I build an old style glider can i build an origonal launch plane? i want to build the glider with rc and a free flight piggy back carrier to get it up in the air and when the plane slows down, the glider is still going fast so it slides out of the rig.
either that or a remote release. think it'll work?

Derrik
That sounds cool, and it might very well work. I would like to follow your thread on the project. I beleive it definatly deserves its own thread.

Check out this link. Its a rubber powered launch vehickle...

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~idesign...2/pickback.pdf
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
Last edited by Rocketman209; Dec 19, 2004 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 06:45 AM
Registered User
FFlover's Avatar
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2004
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman209
If you are planning on scale flight speeds, then I would say add undercamber to the airfoil. It will have a big effect and you will not regret it as long as you dont fly it inverted.
I'll have too give it a thought.
Would like to be able to do some mild aerobatics though too if possible,dunno.
Decisions,Decisions.....
Dennis
FFlover is offline Find More Posts by FFlover
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dime scale fokker d-8 billystiltner Free Flight 15 Jan 01, 2008 12:22 AM
Dime, peanut, walnut, etc scale Martin Hunter Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 9 Jan 14, 2005 01:30 PM
Dime Scale Micro RC? mcross Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 11 Dec 08, 2003 10:28 AM
Large scale set up VF-84 Sport Planes 1 Jul 17, 2003 03:44 AM
New Free Flight Cook-Up Begins.... jernst Free Flight 0 Jul 01, 2003 07:32 AM