HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:46 PM
Oskaloosa Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Additional Photo & Info

Here's a bit of the "build". At this point, pretty much all of the parts were cut and awaiting final assembly.
Scott Christensen
GSChristensen is offline Find More Posts by GSChristensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2005, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Additional Photos & Info

Here are a few more photos of the new micro Staggerwing. The final shot has apparently become my own personal trademark.
Scott Christensen
Old Jan 31, 2005, 06:48 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Still takin' pictures of the gigantic can of Bud??

Another stunner Scott!! I hope you have plans of these beauties to share.

I gave your painting methods a try on the sheeted portions of the Baby Ace. I'm very happy with the results. It works great if the Stencil Magic topcoat dosen't kill you . Stuff gave me an instant hedache. I'm fairly tolerant of everything but CA. Better ventilation is in order next time.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:10 PM
Fairfax Station, VA
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Scott,
Another masterpiece! Superbly detailed little airplane with the added payoff that it flew so well first time out of the hangar. A testamonial to your skill and attention to the fine points.

I have been building an 18" wingspan Viking (1930's vintage model) which has been replicated/modified in a variety of forms since. I am at the point of installing radio and actuators. I will use a JMP with 2 BSD miniacts. I will likely use some of your ideas on radio installation and charging. I am hoping to keep it under 25 grams and look forward to flight in a few days. I don't have too much time to devote to it and that shows compared to your Staggerwing. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the ideas.
Al
alh747 is offline Find More Posts by alh747
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:15 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2004
136 Posts
Thanks for the info on the magnets guys.
Scott,your Staggerwing is stunning!!
Love the detail on it,looks very convincing.
Dennis
FFlover is offline Find More Posts by FFlover
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:12 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Scot,

What can I add? It is another wonderful creation. I love the details - the nav lights are an excellent touch. we are honored that you decided to unveil it in our thread...

You have really done a great job painting it - smooth, opaque and glossy. I guess I need to go back and re-read the other thread and take notes this time!

As far as the 'trademark' shot - Matt Keenon has his #2 pencil, you got your can of Bud...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Feb 01, 2005, 08:45 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
Taylor Cub

Here's my Tylor Cub. I got a late start so I probably won't finish on time. I haven't decided on a motor yet but will probably use a 4.5 didel with 2 stage gearbox, to fit in the narrow cowl. Radio is still up in the air also, I have RFFS, JMP and a couple 3 channel bits.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 01, 2005, 08:54 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
mcross,
Is the numbering printed on the tissue? I wish I had thought of that now that I'm faced with adding the trim to the Baby Ace. Also managed to get myself distracted by a P-38...but, that is another thread.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2005, 09:47 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Scott,
You are the absolute master of the all sheet balsa micro scale plane technique. This is the perfect companion to your Waco. Very nice work. I am in awe. Thanks for showing it to us and giving us the details.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:15 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,553 Posts
"Stunning model" Scott
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:28 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
Scott,
What a beautiful model, even the balsa wheels look like rubber, and youv'e even used streamlined bracing wires, not the usual thread!
I hadn't heard of your Waco, Im going to do a search for it, to find out the secrets of your superb finish.

The other Graham
Graham Smith is offline Find More Posts by Graham Smith
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:44 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Graham,
There are links to Scott's Wacos in the Plane Threads Index, accessed from the Micro Threads Index.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 02, 2005, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Hi Guys!
FFlover, clipclop, Gordon Johnson - Many thanks for your kind comments on the new Staggerwing. This is much appreciated!

Tiberius - Thanks also for your nice words. How's the Baby Ace coming? Get her done so we can all take a look.

Mike Taylor - Thank for the nice comments. Your own Baby Ace looks super as well. Painting only requires practice and patience and especially the right equipment and paint. The real trick is to just "jump in" and start doing it. Good luck.

alh747 - Thank you for your comments. Your own Viking project sounds good too. Can't wait to see it.

Graham Smith - Thank you for your kind words. FWIW, I did indeed paint the tires on my Staggerwing with Testor's "Rubber" enamel paint. The flying & landing wires on the airplane are actually non-functional. The were made from .3mm CF rod stock, airbrushed to color.

Rocketman209 - How's the Bristol M1 coming? From what I've seen thus far, you've done a very nice job on it. I can't wait to see it in finished form.
Scott Christensen
Old Feb 03, 2005, 08:38 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,649 Posts
Tiberius, yes it is printed tissue.
Scott, very nice planes.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:46 AM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
Scott,

The Staggerwing is a real beaut. When I was training for my Private Pilots liscence, the mechanics were restoring one. I got to sit in it, quite a treat for me at the time. Your detail is truly awesome, really inspiring.

Ethan
ESwartz is offline Find More Posts by ESwartz