SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:41 PM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
Mike,

what can I say? They arrived today very carefully packed and are real gems. I bought them as a source of parts, not expecting too much but you have impressed me and I have learned a lot just looking at them. I don't have the heart to break one down - perhaps if the Mustang performs as you say I'll sacrifice it but then, who knows.

They were delivered to the office and 2 colleagues who are lapsed modellers were drooling - who know perhaps we can revive their interest.

For now I'll stay on topic and get back to the building board for an hour. Thanks though, I am suitably inspired.

Colin
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:45 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Thanks, Colin. I did put a lot of myself into them. They were the result of a fairly long string of kids' FF conversions. They were built shortly after the Kenway came to my attention. Have fun with them, and show them off. Maybe you can get some more guys back into modeling...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Hi Colin

I look forward to watching your progress on the Pietenpol, as I am planning on building a peanut sized model from that plan.

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jan 10, 2005, 05:57 PM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
Hi J8,

I'm not sure that you should watch me, I'm new here - make a part and we'll see how they compare. I have little experience in this field but have already learned that I could do it with less weight just on looking again at the wing.

I like the full-size Pietenpol, it's high on my list of "the plane to build in my retirement projects". One beautiful full-size example was a prize winner at the PFA rally a couple of years ago.

As a model it still ought to fly even allowing for a few beginners errors.
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:15 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Hinges!!

Described by cmartin HERE

I used a #10 (.010") guitar string as the pin and insulation off what I think is 32 ga wire. Remarkably free and the availabe deflection is far in excess of what is needed. No beveling of the hinge line needed. The pic shows a single lengh pin that connects both hinges. The final install will be two short lengths. A bit of white paint and tissue covering should hide the black insulation quite well. Rudder next.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:30 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
Tim,
Your fuselage looks excellend, and the tail feathers as well. Nice work.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:44 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2004
35 Posts
A little modell, not scale...

Hey,

I`m still building a new "dime" not scaled down, only a product of my fantasy...
niceguy is offline Find More Posts by niceguy
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:00 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Niceguy,

Nice plane, and nice Warren truss-work! That is a very cute model... Got any specs for it? Gear, size, etc.?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:12 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2004
35 Posts
Thanks,

wingspan is 37 cm, lengh 27cm

motor setup is an old servo motor (M20?) with 5,5:1 gearing.

And now the gag:

I build this one 10 years ago, but thougt I lost it while I still moved araund germany in the past ( new jobs and so on...) now I found it under may roof in a box.

Please note: 1g actuator integrated and that was 10 years ago...
niceguy is offline Find More Posts by niceguy
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:53 PM
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
Neat projects here.

I started this Guillows 16 1/2" plane years ago & forgot about it. I added cord to the wing tips to increase area. Tail feathers need to be built yet.

Is the area of this wing enough to fly rc? What motor & control would you recommend?

Thanks
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:14 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
There is a lot more balsa in there than you need for light R/C (compare the structure with other models shown), and the balsa in the kit is most likely way to dense. Our airframes are coming out in the range of 8 to 10 grams; weigh yours and see where it is... I built one of those 30 years ago as a U/C model with a Cox 020 in the nose. It was my 3rd Stuka, and it flew pretty well. Weak point eventually proved to be the gear legs.

If yours is already too heavy, you could rebuild it with lighter balsa, thin out the LE and TE of the wing, thin down the keels and lighten where ever you can. An alternative, if you really like the Stuka, is to try the 'Simple Stuka' on the SFA free plans page: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/Free_...free_plans.htm

This is a simplified Stuka, about the same size, and meant for rubber power. A few modifications (like making the wing carry through the fusleage, and adding control surfaces to the tail outlines) would make a good R/C conversion.

Any of the micro radios would work (RFFS, JMP, Cirrus MJ, etc., with actuators or 1.7 to 2 gram servos) would work. The N-20 geared motors should do a good job...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:52 PM
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
Thanks.

What you see weights 12.5 g. I guess I still have the plans still.
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Old Jan 11, 2005, 05:00 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Actually, that's not too bad for most of the airframe. What the heck - give it a shot!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Gordon. Can't wait for pics of the Stampe.

Nice to see the different projects taking shape and others brought back out of mothballs

I'm very impressed with the hinging method I mentioned earlier. Here's a pic of the rudder with the tube freshly glued in place. The length of music wire is taped to the framework and holds the tube in place while gluing. I oriented the tubes on the movable surface to the inside of the tubes on the fixed surface with very little tolerance between them to keep the movable surface from sliding back and forth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale
Thanks.

What you see weights 12.5 g. I guess I still have the plans still.
I encourage you to finish it or try it lighter as I have a 500 series Guillows Hellcat in the project pile to get to someday.
RCG Plus Member