SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2005, 11:42 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
ss motors...

I have some of those motors, but so far I have not gotten very good at building gear drives for them. I am still trying.

Walter
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2005, 11:51 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Walter,

The covering looks great!

Pete,

Thanks. It now looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. The covering is coming loose in a bunch of places. It was the last plane I will use glue-stick on
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jan 08, 2005, 04:03 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor
Walter,

The covering looks great!

Pete,

Thanks. It now looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. The covering is coming loose in a bunch of places. It was the last plane I will use glue-stick on
What method do you recomend for attaching the tissue?

Do you have a close shot of your hinges Walter? It is looking great.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2005, 04:55 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Tiberius

Do you have a close shot of your hinges Walter? It is looking great.

I do not have a close shot... My camera could not shoot that in a hundred years. Sorry, but the best I can do is to describe it. I got the idea on a plane I got from Bob Selmen. Below is a crude drawing of the method. The red line represents the thread. Use a needle and thread, pull it tight, and use a drop of glue (a very small drop) to secure. If the glue gets into the hinge start over.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 08, 2005, 05:38 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Walter,

Those are called 'figure 8' hinges. I use them on foam or where there is enough wood to thread through and not weaken it. Another method is to dope down single threads on either side, cross tham across the hinge line and dope to the other side of the other surface.

Tiberius,

I like BalsaLoc adhesive. You paint it on, let it dry, and then iron the tissue down. It is like white glue and heat activated. It doesn't come loose...
Old Jan 08, 2005, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Thaks for the info guys. The hingeing and covering questions are a bit premature however.

Looking for some ideas on attaching the struts. Considering sanding the correct angle into the ends of the strut and glueing in place with same for the wing. Permantly attached. Quick, dirty, and most of all light.

A removable wing is goning to be difficult with the mounting arrangement used on the Baby Ace. Complicated further by the need to have the struts removable too. Very small screws? Alu. tube mounted to the fuse and wing with a pin and retainer of some sort on the end of the strut? Then there's the jury struts??

I'm also not keen on a "break away" wing. Past experience has shown that have the wing break away exposes the tail damage. I did a Micro Taxi conversion with a magnent mounted wing and no struts. Instead of just picking it up and re-launching, I had to repair the half of the stab that has sheared off when the wing bailed. At least on that model, the wing and struts protected the tail from damage. Or appeared to on my first micro taxi as that thing got beat to heck and back and never lost the wing or tail.

Sounds like I've already made up my mind huh? Anyone got a system that can convince me otherwise? I'm ready to glue in the strut attachment points on the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:52 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I got mine covered today. The granddaughter is here watching Marx Brothers movies, so shrinking and doping are tomorrow. It went very easy since all the surfaces were flat except around the nose.

I have sort of decided to go light and simple and make the wing permanently attached. I considered making the front 'A' strut from wire and making a keeper to mount to the front of the wing and magnets to hold it all together. Instead, I will access all the gear from underneath and glue the wing in.

Actually, the Al tube and pins (I have used heavier guitar string with success) is not a bad idea. I have used it on cabin planes where the struts were rremoved for flight and where the wing came off to access the gear. In this pylon wing, permanent seems to be the best method...
Old Jan 08, 2005, 10:57 PM
troy NY
Joined Feb 2003
93 Posts
Rocketman,
IIRC, the model you are building from Derek Buckmaster's site has another scheme. It's red with Silver Reg. Letters, No.
There used to be a brief history on the plan and it stated something like this. I built it for Rubber power and have been watching your build with much interest. Looks fantastic.

Kevin
moon is offline Find More Posts by moon
Old Jan 09, 2005, 12:18 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon
Rocketman,
IIRC, the model you are building from Derek Buckmaster's site has another scheme. It's red with Silver Reg. Letters, No.
There used to be a brief history on the plan and it stated something like this. I built it for Rubber power and have been watching your build with much interest. Looks fantastic.

Kevin

The red scheme was for the tourists in the museum. The way it was raced was just plain silver dope, so that is why I chose it. Oh well, with all the rigging, it should still look interesting.
Old Jan 09, 2005, 07:29 PM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
This thread caught my interest and I thought it was a good excuse to start a project. I have little experience of models of this size and may need to draw on the available experience here to see the job through.

Tonight I built the wings for a Pietenpol Aircamper, one of my favourite homebuilts. I've attached a photo below if it get uploaded ok (never tried that either).

The plan came from the small flying arts site, I re-scaled it to 15 inches span which looks a useable size. So; first question: what weight should I be aiming for for the structure - the wings are 3.1 inches chord.

Thoughts on motor and controls would be of assistance too. Would an rffs 100 and actuators be suitable (last week I bought a couple complete with actuators, batteries, motors etc., off Ebay. My smallest conventional gear is the small GWS 4 channel and some 4.7 gram servos.

thanks, Colin
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
Last edited by colinc; Jan 09, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2005, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Looks great so far Colin. Ought to be very good with an RFFS and actuators. An M20 based geared motor on a single li-poly cell should work. An N20 direct may work as well. Could be a canidate for a geared pager motor and a 90 mAh cell if built very light.

Depends most heavily on how light the structure turns out. Lighter is better, but it also has to be able to support the weight of the radio gear and power system. Forget the conventional gear, far too heavy. These stick-built micros are a learning experience for me too.

Check the sticky threads at the top of this forum for info on micro planes. I find myself using them regularly.

Welcome aboard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2005, 08:58 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Colin,

The RFFS is perfect for a model of this size. If you got the whole set-up, I assume you also got a PK-00 with Union-80 prop and 145 or so LiPoly battery. That power plant combination will easily carry a 1 ounce plus model. You don't say whether you got remote or surface mounted actuators; I prefer remotes myself...

We're happy to lend assistance so ask if you need help!
Old Jan 09, 2005, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,605 Posts
Just a quick progress report:

Wing is framed and sanded. Tail is sanded and waiting to be hinged. Fuse sanded out and the finish on the sheeted portion started with two coats of a stenciling topcoat that will be finished with acrylic paint. Scott Christensen of Sig shared his painting method with us here on e-zone and this is the first chance I've had to try it. Two coats of the stencil topcoat is used as a sealer. Added less than .1g of weight as my scale can't detect a difference before and after. Lost .2g from shaping the nose. And that was after adding another pair of gussets at the rear of the cabin to better support the wing struts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2005, 03:33 AM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
Thanks for the re-assurances. The actual gear that I have coming is in two artf models, the actuators are remote types - best quote from the ad: "They are converted free-flight rubber powered planes; they have been converted to full 35mhz (UK) radio control by SUPER-experienced micro-aeromodeller extraordinaire MIKE TAYLOR of California, US !

The Spitfire:

AILERON AND ELEVATOR AND THROTTLE
Kenway M-20 motor/gearbox
145mah LiPoly battery
Azarr Micro antenna
RFFS-100 receiver board with built-in ESC.
UK Ch 55 xtal
Actuators installed
Never flown.
The Mustang

RUDDER AND ELEVATOR AND THROTTLE
Test flown - Rudder needs resecuring to the vert stab (epoxy)
Same spec as above EXCEPT that the Mustang has a KP-00 motor/gearbox and it shares the xtal."

They were a spur of the moment puchase but seemed a good buy at 39 ($60) each.

I'll try the foam models but I was planning stripping one out for this project. I like building in balsa.

I think that I need to find some small scales to weigh things on next.

regards

Colin
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
Old Jan 10, 2005, 01:08 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Colin,

No xxxx?!?! They are pretty examples of stuffing 3 pounds of worms into a two pound can!

I wondered what would become of those models! You are getting one heck of a deal, since what you paid is less than the cost of a single set of the gear, and it is also about what it cost me to ship them to the UK! It's a bummer that you only got one crystal; I like to secure them with a speck of double-sided servos tape to help keep them secure and from bouncing around.

I would suggest stripping the Mustang (the one with the KP-00 and the black prop) after you fly it since that one is pretty marginal in power. The lower gears / bigger prop on the Spit are better for planes that weight. Also, the leads to the Spit's aileron actuator are cut short to use the magnetic wing mount as a break-away aileron control connection. The wiring in the Mustang is stock. Big hint: Fly them over grass, the longer the better... The torque at low speeds makes them subject to some odd behavior at launch (torque rolls, tip stalls, etc.). Once they are up to speed, they work a lot better.

You can drop a couple of grams by eliminating the charging circuit, plug and switch. Keep me posted - I am curious to how they work for you.