HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2004, 01:21 PM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
490 Posts
Ballast Tank Pumps

Any of you guys built a large model with ballast tanks? If so what did you use to pump water in and out. My present plan is to use these bilge pumps for boats, one in and one out pump. Has anyone found an affordable solution to where you only need one pump?

SBT
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:57 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
I've been thinking about this one for a while, as I eventually plan on building a laker.

I was considering a servo-controlled flapper valve on the bottom to let water in (no pump) and a single pump to unload the ballast tank. A micro-switch to control the the pump could be activated when the valve is closed.
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGinCanada; Dec 09, 2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2004, 04:12 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
You could try the SubTech ABP Ballast Pump with their Tee valve and the RS-5 Electronic Reversing Switch . Both are available from Mikes Sub Works . You could also try some of the vendors listed with the SubCommittee.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Dec 10, 2004, 05:27 AM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
RG,
That is a nice idea. I think that if the flapper was located on the bottom of the hull, you would need a pretty strong servo to open the valve as I assume it would have to overcome water's displacement pressure against the hull. The deeper the draft of the hull, the greater the pressure.
regards,
Albert
afc is offline Find More Posts by afc
Old Dec 10, 2004, 06:19 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Go to the Sonictronics web site and check out their Mark X fuel pumps. they have 2 models that differ only in voltage. Anywhere from 4.8volts to 12volts. They have the Super Mark X pumps but i dont think they would be of any benefit to us. Basically these were suggested to me for submarine model ballast tank pumps but these reportedly wont allow water to siphon back the pump to your holding tank after their shut off. I bought one at a LHS the other day for $17.00, but havent had any means yet to test it. Their cheaper than most pumps and the info i have recieved from them was that if they go bad, send it to them and a new one is in the mail! Hope this helps.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Dec 10, 2004, 07:29 AM
Its only a model.
United States, MI, Clinton Township
Joined Nov 2004
490 Posts
Thanks for those guys. I've e-mailed about that APB pump and the Mark X fuel pumps. Need to find out how much water they move as the Tregurtha's tanks are quite large.
Tregurtha1013 is offline Find More Posts by Tregurtha1013