HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2001, 12:37 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
So which plane to train with, before the P-38?

I've been listening to what you guys have been telling me. I need to know which plane would be a good trainer for the p-38. Like I've stated, I've flown a T-52, many Slow flyers, and currently a Zagi 400X. I am now capable of doing pretty much all of the manuvers possible with the Zagi. the only thing I haven't really mastered is Inverted flight.(I'm working on it)

So what would be the next step for me? I realize that there may have to be a couple steps before I'm ready for the P-38. That's ok though, It'll give me time to build it.

Keep pushing me in the right direction guys thanks ---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2001, 02:24 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
Rob, try a bigger motor and/or more cells on the Zagi. Get comfartable flying it full throttle low to the ground. From what I've seen of your abilities so far, I'm sure once you get a tiny bit more practice in you'll do just fine with it. Don't sweat it, all it takes is stick time.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 19, 2001, 11:42 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
I think you need to get experience flying something that is pretty fast and has a high wing loading. How about a Zagi with an 8 pack of 2000SC cells and an FAI15 cobalt motor.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old May 19, 2001, 01:04 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
The Multiplex Twin Star is an easy flier that comes with twin S400 motors. That would enable you to polish your flying skills and also experience the twin motor setup. It's all foam and will take quite a bit of abuse. Good luck!
Randy
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old May 19, 2001, 05:38 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,957 Posts
The JR Modell P-38 is a big step up from a Zagi. While not necessarily difficult to fly, it has a narrower power margin and a higher effective wing loading. It can be induced to stall in a low-speed regime, and most important of all, if you crash it, IT WILL BREAK.

I would suggest a higher performance aileron model to get used to flying something faster. An S400 model like a Twister wouldn't be bad, but a slightly larger model like a Vortex or the venerable Electrostreak would probably do a better job of getting you used to the launching and flight characteristics of the P-38.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old May 19, 2001, 09:23 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I bought a Turbo 450 for the Zagi today, that should speed it up a bunch. I'm also gonna fire up a scratch built aileron 400 plane that I put together. At 16 ozs it should be quite fast. Yes, I am well aware of the P-38's destruction if crashed--Rob
Old May 20, 2001, 07:53 PM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,325 Posts
Rob,

I heartily secong Jim Ryan's advice. Your hopped up Zagi might get you used to flying fast but you need to get experience with something that will approximate the P-38. that means a conventiona planform with ailerons. An Electrostreak would be a good choice (but not with the GP motor set-up).

I had the advantage of lots of IC planes (warbirds, aerobatics, etc.) to prepare me for the P-38. My main concern with the P-38 was the wing loading and slow speed handling characteristics. I cannot preach enough the need that pilots learn to FLY THE WING. Way too often we are spoiled by the fact we have more power than we need to get us out of a bad situation. Learning to fly the wing will make you a much better pilot and better able to handle a bad situation when that power has left you.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old May 21, 2001, 06:20 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Ok, where can I find the Electrostreak? Thanks guys--Rob
Old May 22, 2001, 07:24 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slowflyer:
Ok, where can I find the Electrostreak? Thanks guys--Rob
Try http://www.towerhobies.com then do a search on their site for electrostreak. IIRC it's about $55

Goodluck

BTW I saw you might be getting a K&A P-38. Let us know how that kit looks. I'd like to compare it to Jim's P38 as well as the JR Modell one I have. (which BTW is ready to fly again as soon as I get some time AND decent weather)

[This message has been edited by jbrundt (edited 05-22-2001).]
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old May 23, 2001, 10:13 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
It Is looking more like the K&A kit, as the JR is on backorder. Too bad I missed the sale last month. The deal on the used one fell through as I could not come to an agreement with the owner. He was asking $200 for the kit plus shipping. K&A has them for $199 new.--Rob

[This message has been edited by slowflyer (edited 05-23-2001).]