Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:04 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Cool
The Fun World EP - by World Models

I fell in love with this plane even before I assembled and flew my first ARF - the SuperStar EP. Following other threads on this site lead me to the World Models site. They seem to have a whole crop of really cool electric planes for a decent price, but this one just stood out to me. Was waiting for just the right time to buy such a plane.

http://www.airborne-models.com/

The Fun World EP
50" Wing
700 sq in Wing Area
53oz Flying Weight
50" fuse

I will power it with a Endo/GD600/12t/8cell GP3300 and swing a 12x8 (but I am open to suggestions - especially on the prop)

I am now about 6 or 7 weeks into this hobbie and already on my 4th plane (which is not to say I have crashed the first 3 - if that were the case I would be looking to take up chess or something).

Even though this is a ARF, for me, as a newbie, it will pose a few assembly challenges. I hope to draw from the experience of those of you who follow my build and first flights for insight and wisdom. So please feel free to throw in your .02 when ever you have an idea.

Picked the model up on Friday, but only now have had time to start pulling the model out of the box. Every thing was nicely packed and all seemed to be in good shape.

Did not like some of the hatches (there are 2 - one for the battery and the other for the motor). They are soft and I will probably build them up with some 1/16 ply backed behind the original balsa.

But before our discussion begins ... here are the pics
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Dec 26, 2005 at 09:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:07 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Some of the Construction

This is how it is put together. This thing is so lite.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:13 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
The covering seems excellent. This is the first model I have had that will not need the heat gun on the wings to tighten them up. The Fuse though will see a light warm iron. It is in need of having some puckers removed.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:15 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
I will power it with a Endo/GD600/12t/8cell GP3300 and swing a 12x8 (but I am open to suggestions - especially on the prop)

Did not like some of the hatches (there are 2 - one for the battery and the other for the motor). They are soft and I will probably build them up with some 1/16 ply backed behind the original balsa.

But before our discussion begins ... here are the pics
Congrats on your new model!

Very good idea about providing strength in areas that you think they need. This model is super light considering the wing span it sports and you will not add that much weight in these areas!

Way to go and thanks for the thread!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:22 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
There is a nice string running thru the wing to pull servo wires
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:27 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
My first design and assembly Question

As I go through the instructions, motor installation seems very generic. They do not really specify how to install a motor.

On the SSEP and MachI I have used claim shell heat sink mounts, but here it is just not set up to use the claim shell. (unless you build for it)

In your opinition, what is a good way to install the endo and GD600. I was thinking of taking 1/16 ply to line the insides of the fuse behind the first 2 supports top to bottom and from the front of the plane to just behind support #2. (if you could feel how thin and 'squishy' the fuse is you would understand - my concern is torque from the endo ripping out the fuse)

Then taking the 2 included 1/8" ply fire wall supports and cutting out the front one to have the GD600 prop adaptor pass thru (along with some air holes) and have the GD600 bolt on to that. And then cut the other one that glues to the 2nd support in the fuse so that that the endo passes thru and is 'craddled' there. This would make the whole engine assembly attached to the plane only by the 3 hex screws that I am suppling with lock nuts. The motor of coarse is held to the GD600 by 2 other hex bolts.

Is this all that would be needed to hold this motor in place??
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:35 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Here's my idea

As viewed from the bottom. Note the only thing holding it in the plane is the 3 hex bolts and lock nuts (I only drew 2). The endo would pass thru a 2nd solid firewall (also drilled with air holes), but only as a support to the endo.

Will this hold it?
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:37 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Yes, indeed...this is exactly why I held off on this model...the FUSE is rather on the light side and there's a thread out there of someone that made this model fly with a very powerful Brushless motor and Li-POLYs.....

Reading what you posted seems to be a good sound idea to support the motor/gearbox. Recall that the motor will exert torque because of a large prop for 3D so, the whole frontal FUSE will be exposed to this torque and building the frontal FUSE area is a sound idea.

Have you fit checked an ENDO installed in the gearbox inside the FUSE and if so, can you place side rails made of hardwood so, you can screw the whole assembly in using a clamp shell? Is it too narrow?

Carlos
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:39 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
As viewed from the bottom. Note the only thing holding it in the plane is the 3 hex bolts and lock nuts (I only drew 2). The endo would pass thru a 2nd solid firewall (also drilled with air holes), but only as a support to the endo.

Will this hold it?
Oh, perfect...my earlier reply was before your sketch made it on the board!

Yes, this seems to be a sound idea assuming you do add some ply in the areas where the motor/gearbox assembly is bolted on! <----Critical structure torque in this area!

Carlos
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:42 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh....Mike.....

Don't forget to use THREAD LOCKER fluid on those hex bolts...
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:43 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Next Question - Install the motor

Also the instructions call for thrust angles. This is all that is said about motor installation in the manuel.

It calls for a 2.5 right thrust and a 2 down thrust angle. How do you set these angles (short of being a rocket scientist - or investing a truck load of geek tools )
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:45 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
"Thread Lock" - very funny Carlos - especially after todays misfortunes - Ha Ha Ha

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...91#post3004591

Guess that's what I get for playing hooky from work to fly

(hee hee hee). Yes this plane may have an extra 6 or 8 ozs added to it by thread lock.

Mike
Last edited by mrm1; Dec 08, 2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:56 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Fit check

Yea...that could work too I guess...Uh...maybe

Yea
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:56 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Also the instructions call for thrust angles. This is all that is said about motor installation in the manuel.

It calls for a 2.5 right thrust and a 2 down thrust angle. How do you set these angles (short of being a rocket scientist - or investing a truck load of geek tools )
Ha Ha Mike.....Rocket Scientist indeed.....I work with them everyday!

Okay, lets see if this Rocket Scientist can give you a very simple answer...

1. Use the supplied ply pieces and use as spacers to allow for about the thrust angles they recommend. This is NOT Rocket Science but, modeling experience...

2. I use a good old Prop so, I can see if I have good down and right thrust.

3. Down is critical for high wing models but, this is a mid-wing so, not a biggie.

4. Right thrust is depending on the size of the prop. you are planning to use. The larger the more right so, you can off set the torque but, recall the prop will be spinning slower since I assume you are going to use a 10-tooth pinion on your setup thereby, the prop. will be around 5,800 RPM's using the 8-cell?

Carlos
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:57 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Oh ... you are "independently wealthy"