SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2002, 04:38 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Jan 2002
15 Posts
Using Ikarus Micro-Gyro with ECO-8?

Anyone using a Micro-Gyro with an ECO-8?

I was curious what to expect out of them. Never had one before. When I plug the tail rotor servo into the gyro and I move the rudder left and right... there seems to be no deflection in the rotor. The sentivity controls seem to adjust the servo correctly however.

If I plug the rudder servo directly into the receiver then my rudder control returns to full deflection.

Quite Odd.

Does anyone understand what info the gyro takes from the receiver? Does it only allow rudder deflection when throttle is applied?
bacarter is offline Find More Posts by bacarter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2002, 04:47 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,834 Posts
Something's wrong. Your controls should operate normally if there is no copter motion. Move your gyro's "zero" pot nad see if theservo responds. On some gyro's, the servo plug direction is not well marked. Check yours. If all else looks good, your gyro may be bad.

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2002, 12:39 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Micro-Gyro

I used the Ikarus Micro Gyro when I first bought the Eco. I think it's a good gyro, but not even close to a HH gyro.

It definitely looks like there is something wrong. My experience was: simply connect servo to gyro, gyro to receiver, check for proper gyro/tail rotor movement, adjust sensitivity and that's it. Of course I also had to setup my Rev. Mix. The heli flew fine.

When everything is mounted on the heli, you should have FULL conrol of the tail rotor (as if you didn't have the gyro). Then, if you swing the heli from side to side you'd hear it adjusting. I didn't even mess with the "zero" positioning dial (used trim instead).

You said that there seemed to be no deflection in the rotor when you moved left to right. Check you linkages. If you are using the long white cable, make sure that the wire did not became lose from the smaller diamter cable... this happened to me and I lost tail rotor control. Luckily I was on the ground.

Hope this helps. Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Mar 02, 2002, 09:21 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
252 Posts
I started out the Ikarus Micro Gyro and could never get it to work right. I finally switched to a Futaba 240. You can get one at a resonable price at helihut.com.
ebrown is offline Find More Posts by ebrown
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1 Posts
Any recommendations for an ECO-8 gyro for a beginner using mechanical mixing? John Hamilton
John Hamilton is offline Find More Posts by John Hamilton
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:38 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,556 Posts
Beginner + mechanical mixing is not a good combo . I built one with the mechanical mix a couple years ago just to prove to myself it could be made to work. It does but everything needs to be perfectly assembled with no slop but no drag on any of the links either. It is a difficult task - good luck .

The GY240 is excellent. If that is too much to spend right now the ONLY other thing I'd recommend is a simple piezo rate gyro - not a cheaper heading hold. Something like a $55 hobbico rate gyro works pretty well, you need to deal with some drift as the flight progresses by adjusting the trim and add tail compensation either electronically or with the mechanical setup in you mech. mixer. The cheaper HH gyro's I've tried have all been trash, very frustrating to set up and give poor performance.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:47 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
3,018 Posts
you should defininatly invest in the 120 ccpm servo mounts and an aluminum swash. I remember my first eco-8 had mechanical mixing, flew just fine, I bought it used, but I didn't have much expeirence and now I know how much better it makes it fly. as for gyros, the best in my opinion is the GY401, and get yourself a CF tail pushrod. christmas is coming up soon, might as well splerge a little good luck. be safe.

Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New 3D printer
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:59 PM
DELAWARE
Joined Mar 2003
846 Posts
The Profi gyro is ok. But if you don't have the patients or experience to set up a gyro that has that heading hold drift that you have to set up the tail by adjusting the tail rod, try to get your hands on a 401.

unplug the servo from the gyro and plug it into the rx and see if it moves. If so make sure you have the servo plugged into the gyro correctly. I think you should have the bottom of the servo plug(the side you can see the copper ends on)facing up. I never had a micro gyro but i think the profi was that way.
50feet is offline Find More Posts by 50feet