HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2004, 06:15 PM
Soil Density Tester
United States, TX, Bonham
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
San Diego Area Foamie Flyers?

I am heading to San Diego this weekend for a longterm assignment at a large defense contractor. Hotel rooms get pretty boring which is why I originally started in this hobby.

Are there any nice places to fly? I will be working and staying in the Rancho Carmel area.

So far this year I have gotten to fly at the Home Depot field in Orlando and TOG was gracious enough to take me to the HUGE hangar at the Lakehurst Naval Air Station in New Jersey.
TexasAce is offline Find More Posts by TexasAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2004, 07:56 PM
San Diego
Joined Dec 2002
42 Posts
electric flying in San Diego

I would recommend you look at this web site.

https://sefsd.org

The Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego.

I was a member last year and I know they have a very good flying site near Sea World. Saturday and Sunday are busy times with lot's of ppl flying.
This weekend is pylon racing.

Contact info is on the website.

Wecome to the warm sunny side of the country.

BTW if you have room to bring a bundle of FFF let me know. It is not sold here and I need some.
Tophall is offline Find More Posts by Tophall
Old Dec 07, 2004, 10:31 PM
Soil Density Tester
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
If they don't sell FFF there, I will deifinitely be bringing some. I will see if I can fit an extra bundle in my truck.
Do they sell the pink foam there? I have been considering getting some to cut thicker fuselages from.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 11:25 AM
San Diego
Joined Dec 2002
42 Posts
Foam in San Diego

That is one of the few problems living where the weather is always mild.

The use of foam for insulation is not a common practice here.

You can get some 1/2" board foam and some 1" Blue foam but the thinner stuff is not easy to find.

Purchased Dupron is used but again it is a special order.
Tophall is offline Find More Posts by Tophall
Old Dec 08, 2004, 01:27 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophall
Purchased Dupron is used but again it is a special order.
The Hobby Town in San Marcos has Depron. You have to ask for it. They keep it in the back because customers damage it when it is out on the shelf.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:12 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,691 Posts
Texax ace,

I'll buy Depron from you if you can get 3mm and 6 mm in white. Let me know what you can get and the prices.

I know of a couple places to fly along the coast (PCH).

There is a good slope site in Carlsbad thats usually good in the afternoons, wings and 3D foamys. Sat AM there is a small group (4-6) of us that fly what ever we have (park flyers to HLG) south of Palomar Airport Road about a mile on PCH.

The SDSEF club is real nice with a runway and freq board. But as mentioned it can get busy.

I just found a place between Clairemont Mesa BLVD and Balboa BLVD just east of the 163 on a street called Lightwave next to Inflateable Land.

I also hear they fly at Jack Murphy Stadium.

What kind of planes are you bringing?
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:56 PM
Soil Density Tester
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
I'm going to bring some bluecore to play with and whatever extra I can fit in. I haven't tried depron yet but have been considering it. I have been working on plans for a bluecore Mig 15 and F9F Cougar for the Feigao BL I got from TOG.

I am leaving the estarter and slowstick at home for my son to fly and bringing a bluecore Bearcat I designed and an Ultrafly BAE Hawk kit to put together. I saw a young man fly a Hawk in Florida and it was WOW. It is probably too fast for my thumbs but I am bringing some epoxy!

I hadn't even thought about slopers as we don't have those kind of hills here. There are sooo many plane designs I would like to try that with.

I think I am going to like San Diego.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 11:22 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
That place you speak of used to be the General Dynamics Plant. I used to work in the only building left from the original plant. The big white one with blackout windows. I used to fly in those fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus

I just found a place between Clairemont Mesa BLVD and Balboa BLVD just east of the 163 on a street called Lightwave next to Inflateable Land.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Dec 09, 2004, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
764 Posts
LOL isn't that a bit close to Monty Field?
ssgtakeo is offline Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Dec 09, 2004, 10:22 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,691 Posts
Its close to Montgomery field and not far from Miramar (Remember TOPGUN - but now its F18's).

GD was there until Hughes bought them, closed up tha facility and moved it all to Tucson. Now Northrup Grumman is putting a building or two up in the area (not exactly the same place but with in a block or two).

Looks like SD WX is finally back to normal Sunny and 70's forcasted.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2004, 06:32 AM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Texas Ace, not sure exactly where Rancho Carmel is but it sounds like near Carmel Mtn Rd/Rancho Bernardo area. If it is, there's a big open area overlooking a canyon that many folks use about 4 miles south from there along Scripps Poway Parkway and Gateway Place. Weekends are best because the road is the runway and is more busy on the weekdays. There's no parking so folks drive their cars onto the sidewalk.

There's also a good park with a large open area tall grass 4 miles southeast from there on Park Village Rd. Finding a landing site is hard; easiest is to hand launch and land into the tall grass.

Anyway, just more options if you want to stay closer.
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:30 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
Vpatron,
Is the spot on Park Village good for sloping? Can you land glider there without damaging it?

Thanks,
Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:28 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Hi Gibby, I don't know about sloping; there's a slope next to the main road but faces south and it's full of bushes. The wind in this wide canyon is generally from the west and the canyon runs east-west.

There's a small slope facing west by the long parking lot but the top is full of trees. It's only maybe 80 feet long and maybe 15 feet deep so if it's slopeable I don't think it'll be that exciting. For landing you'd have to catch the plane or land in the tall grass and not hit any bushes.

That said, I am building a 43" sloper EPP wing from slofly.com that I will try there. At 2 oz/sq. ft loading, it should slope even small bumps.

It might be a good place to thermal. I watched a hawk start from about 50 feet and reached maybe a few hundred feet going in a large upward spiral without flapping his wings once!

I live in Mira Mesa. PM me if you don't mind a spectator for sloping. I've never sloped nor seen it in person and I'd like to check it out.

Thanks,

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:20 AM
Soil Density Tester
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
I finally made it to San Diego! I started at NG yesterday. I visited the hobby shops on Balboa and located the field on lightwave street. It was a weekday so nobody was there but I will check it again this weekend. I also plan on checking out the site off of Scripps Poway Parkway.
I drive a red Ford F150 pickup with a black bed cover with Texas license plates.
Tophall we need to talk. I managed to bring some extra FFF.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:37 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,023 Posts
Bummer! I'm heading for Texas Monday as soon as I get back from Potland. After that it's off to Flordia for two weeks. Hope you all stay dry down there in SD as it looks like it got pretty wet. Hope to be home in Tucson again in about three weeks so I can do a little more flying. I should bring something along just to play with.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad