SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:20 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,185 Posts
Another LiPO Fire Report. Very Sad.

I came across a new LiPO fire report today. A fellow left the house for a few minutes to pick up dinner, even though he was aware the R/C LiPO pack was on the charger (which did concern him). He returned to a third floor house fire. Lost everything in his office and hobby rooms! It is very sad. http://runryder.com/helicopter/t145397p1/

As careful as I am, I recently discovered that I can get distracted and forget about a charging LiPO. I recently jumped in the car and took off, only to realize the LiPO charger was in use. So I can see how this can happen to us mortals. In my case, I immediately turned around and shut things down.

Maybe I should stick one of those lost child alarms on the charger and carry the belt alert with me whenever the charger is in use. That way, if I get too far away from it, I will be yelled at!

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:32 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
32 speaker surround sound system ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:54 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
Jeeeesus.
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Dec 07, 2004, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Man what a terrible loss..... But luckily nodody was injured.

I hope that he is able to recover the loss from his homeowners insurance. It will be interesting to see if his insurance company takes any issue with paying out 70K as the batteries were being charged un-attended.

Good reminder to everybody....

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2004, 01:40 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
I have a couple of LiPo packs and man, this reminds me to have a lot of respect for stored energy of any type whether it be batteries or that can of gasoline kept in the garage for the lawn mower.

Sounds like the guy had a LOT of nice stuff too.
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Last edited by tran1172; Dec 07, 2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 01:50 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Two really key statements in this sad tale:

* I have charged those battery's many of times while my wife and kids and I were all sleeping or away at town.

* If I remain doing this hobby I am buying a fire proof safe that I will keep and charge all battery's.

As anyone who reads this forum knows, anyone who posts a message here about charging Li-polys unattended -- especially while sleeping or away from the home -- is going to get bombarded with safety advice. Part of that advice would be to never leave charging Li-polys unattended, and to always charge in a fire-resistant container, in the oven or anywhere that a secondary fire cannot be ignited.

The real tragedy here is that Michael Shetler apparently purchased Li-polys without a full understanding of their potential dangers, or he was aware of the risk and ignored it. I doubt that anyone participating in this forum doesn't know about these potential dangers. But I wonder how many think "it can't happen to me" and do not take all the safeguards that can prevent something like this?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:04 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Tragic story. As tran said, it sounds like he HAD a LOT of nice stuff.

I wonder what caused it to ignite ...... wrong cell-count setting? Wrong charge current? Charging a damaged battery? .... hmmmm.

Personally, I was surprised at how calm his response seemed to be .....
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Dave, you are right on with your comments concerning those of us that read and post on ezone.....

But, I fear that there are many many RC flyers that might become complacent about Lipo charging over time as they do not either personally experience any problems or hear about any of the "venting with flame" incidents.

Or as my Daddy would say "You can fix ignorant, but you cant fix stupid".

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:17 PM
PittsLover
Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
914 Posts
The story is a tragic one......my sympathies to RC-CAM.

But in order for our education re lipo cells to continue, as Hogster said....

"I wonder what caused it to ignite ...... wrong cell-count setting? Wrong charge current? Charging a damaged battery? .... hmmmm."
houfek is offline Find More Posts by houfek
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:21 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
my sympathies to RC-CAM
It wasn't me that had the fire (thank goodness). I am just the messenger.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:28 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
there are many many RC flyers that might become complacent about Lipo charging over time as they do not either personally experience any problems...
That is the problem. Even though we "know" about LiPo dangers, it is so easy to become complacent when you have hundreds of charges without incident. A discussion group like EZone is great for keeping the reminders of the danger fresh.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:41 PM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
only 2 possibilities of the ignition ( in my opinion )
the charger was that of an auto cell detect,,,, wrong detect????
The 3 cell pack very unbalanced??????
not sure what else could have been the reason
again just my opinion.

Very Tragic indeed. Glad no loss of life of any kind.
RC Toys USA is offline Find More Posts by RC Toys USA
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
I wonder if the use of temp sensors hooked up to ones charger would eliminate many of these incidences......??
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:47 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Sad story, but illustrates how a simple pyrex bowl with a cover, or battery bunker, or some fireproof box would have prevented the disaster (perhaps). All of which can be bought for a fraction of the cost of a LiPo pack.

An ounce of prevention....
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2004, 03:01 PM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
Cal
from what I have seen the temp sensor would probably be to late, by the time the cells get warm and trigger the sensor to shut off the charger the voltages are alreay to high and they tend to just get hotter after that critical point. I have heard of packs catching fire up to 30 minutes later after charging and being removed from the charger. When the packs were removed from the charger they were not even warm to the touch, but flamed on anyways.
RC Toys USA is offline Find More Posts by RC Toys USA