HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2004, 11:13 PM
"OLD CHEAPSKATE" FOR SURE
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
Megatech Nirvana ,good starter boat??

Looking for my first RC sailboat. Is the Nirvana okay??
Have found them listed for as low as $129.99 plus $18.00 shipping.
Should I be considering other boats also. Just plan on using it for recreation.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Dennis
nakman8 is offline Find More Posts by nakman8
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:47 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
It would be fine for Rec., I sail the Victoria and love it... it is cheaper and sails great. The nice thing about the Vic is it is a very popular yacht for racing, so if you want to race at a local club you can.
Racing is where RC Yachting really gets fun and addictive...I don't fly my planes anymore because I am racing at my local club whenever possible.

Vince
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Dec 09, 2004, 02:36 PM
Joined Nov 2004
50 Posts
Dennis - I have both a Nirvana and a Victoria, the Nirvana I sail and the Victoria is still awaiting final assembly. I like the Nirvana a great deal, my only recommendation would be to wait a few weeks for the "upgraded" Nirvana with a strong sail servo to hit the shelves. The sail servo in the current Nirvana package is terribly weak and makes sailing in any kind of wind a bit difficult. In my case, I already had a Futaba radio with servos (including a beefy S-125 sail servo) and receiver so I just bought the boat alone from Tower Hobbies - cost $90 and came with everything but the electronics. Went together in an hour or so and I was on the water in no time flat.

Plusses and Minuses of each-

Victoria - A LOT of people have them and if you get into it to any degree there are a lot of aftermarket upgrades. On the other hand, the build is quite difficult, demands a certain amount of custom crafting and will take the first-time builder a good amount of time and patience.

Nirvana - Goes together quickly and easily, quality parts (except sail servo) and good customer support. In addition, it is simple to break down and transport as the mast and keel fin are easily removed. On the other hand not a lot of folks have them (yet) so they are not widely sailed. Also, the keel fin is longer than the Victoria, long enough that your pond choices might be a bit more limited.

As for my Nirvana, a beefy sail servo made it a great boat to sail - I only wish someone would come up with a shorter draft/winged keel.
TeddyV is offline Find More Posts by TeddyV
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:59 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
I have the weak sail servo. What is it compatible with? I checked Hitec and the splines are different.
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2004
3 Posts
Nirvana info

A LOT of info regarding appropriate servo (I believe it's the HiTec 645MG) is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nirvanasailing/
philboucher is offline Find More Posts by philboucher