HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by RyanPSU21, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 06, 2004, 07:03 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
WTB Mystery Ship unbuilt kit or plans

I am interested in finding either an unbuilt Mystery Ship kit if anyone has one out there somewhere or if someone has the plans and are willing to part with them. This assuming the plans have enough detail that they could be used to scratch build another one with information such as rib patterns. I have seen a finished Mystery Ship but have never looked at the plans that came with the kit so have no idea how suitable they are.

Thanks.

Ryan
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2004, 08:16 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
Ryan , try contacting user "Dewey12" here on RCGroups.
Some time ago, I let him have the plans from my Mystery Ship ( which had gone to the big hangar in the sky..)

Hopefully he still has them, and can pass them on, or run a copy.

Michael
MTT is online now Find More Posts by MTT
Old Dec 06, 2004, 09:44 PM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Who made the mystery ship? DO you have any/more details?

Rick
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Dec 06, 2004, 10:16 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
The mystery Ship was made by Major Hobby, when it was run by Bob Martin.
Previously, Bob Martin had designed and produced the Coyote, SR-7 and Super Gryphon slopers, with duralene fuselages.
He had to give that up, when the EPA but restrictions on the production of Duralene.

I don't know if the Mystery Ship is also a design of his, or if he just kitted it.

Michael
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:52 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I believe it was also a design of his. He also made a kit for a similar 2 meter but I can't remember what it was called. There is still information for both of them on Major Hobbies site if you can find a link to it by searching in here. You will not find it by going to the Major Hobbies home page and following links because they have removed the connection to it from there.

http://www.majorhobby.com/Sailplanes...ml#anchor52278
Old Dec 07, 2004, 06:04 AM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Quote:
He also made a kit for a similar 2 meter but I can't remember what it was called
That was the "Mystique".

Michael
Old Dec 07, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Jul 2003
50 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
A local hobby shop here still had 2 kits in the shelf the last time I visited. I was tempted but it is too much building for me. The store is "Sheldons Hobbies" Their Website does not show the kit, but you can get the contact info:
http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/

Mibbl
mibbl is offline Find More Posts by mibbl
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:47 AM
Jackson, Michigan
Joined May 2003
95 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Plans

Hey Ryan, this is your lucky day. I am Dewey 12 and live in Jackson about 2.5 hours south of you. I received from Michael the plans for a Mystery Ship. I was living in Arizona at the time. Many thanks again To Michael for his generosity. A true modeler for sure. I want to pass along the friendship by having the plans copied and will send them to you. I have since returned home to Michigan. I plan on building the Mystery Ship in the next year, presently I am building two Sagitta 600 electrics for my grandson and I. I have a couple of Oly II'S and an Aquila and Aquila Grande to build first however. Because of severe arthritus I am converting everything I build in the future to electric. Just cant chase the towline anymore. Sincerely Duane Robb
Contact DuaneRobb@windhamhills.com for more information on receiving the plans.
Dewey12 is offline Find More Posts by Dewey12
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
This is the one I've seen before. It was built and flown by George Gurney at my old club and featured in SE Modeller. It was electric.

If I scratch build one it will be electric also. I fly at a glow club that probably wouldn't be real friendly to the idea of a high start or winch running around. Every sailplane I've built has been electric since my first Spirit which started out non-electric but I got sick of chasing the high start around.

Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:49 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
electric Mystery Ship

Must be tough to convert the MS to e-power, there is little room in that fuselage.

Michael
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
He had a 14cell nicad pack in there along with motor/gearbox. It fit somehow. He might have widened the fuselage. I don't really remember. I do remember that it looked really good in the air and flew nice and had no shortage for power. It would climb vertically from launch.
Old Dec 09, 2004, 12:26 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,872 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Here' one...
Mystery Ship on eBay
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 09, 2004, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2003
62 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
ebay has one kit

Item number: 5941675424
peterkim2 is offline Find More Posts by peterkim2
Old Dec 09, 2004, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Thanks. Dewey12 is going to copy a set of plans and send it to me. Given the choice I'd rather build it that way.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:58 AM
Jackson, Michigan
Joined May 2003
95 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Mystery Ship

Ryan Check Your Mail Box I Now Have Copy Of Plans Ffor You
Dewey12 is offline Find More Posts by Dewey12
Closed Thread