HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2001, 09:28 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
Power options for a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale Citabria

I,ve had one of these frmaed up in the basement but never got around powering it. I think it would do well with two astro 25 geared together on 36 cells.
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2001, 09:36 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
743 Posts
I don't doubt the twin 25's would do the job ganged together and if you already have them it would be a good way to go, but if you don't have them you might want to look at one of Tom Hunt's twin Dewalt drive systems for it. The pair of 18v motors weighs about 4.5 lbs if I remember correctly and are bulletproof in a case like this. I've seen them fly several 1/4 scale Cubs and a Tri Pacer on 36 cells. It's a fairly cheap option for a big plane.

Also an Astro 90G would do the trick on 36 cells.
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old May 18, 2001, 09:42 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
dr.E: There is a place for everything, and IMHO the place for E-power is in models which are best suited for small easy to fit power plants. Larger aircraft fly better with IC, and unless you're thinking of batteries for the sake of the exercise, the best power for that bird will be a small gasoline engine in the 23-32cc range.

I fly both E-power(a lot) and gasoline. There is no substitute for gasoline in larger aerobatic birds if you still want the clean, no wipe flying you're used to with electric. You'll have more flying enjoyment by putting a G-23 or even a US 41 in the front of that machine. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 18, 2001, 10:39 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
No, I don't agree that electrics are only for small models. Not too long ago having enough power in an electric to torque roll wasn't an option, now it seems to be an anyone can do it thing. I think flying 1/4 scale aerobats on electric is just around the corner, and flying cubs and Citrabrias is already here.

Just keep pushing the envelope and we'll get there.

Norm, who loves his 27 percent scale Staudacher on electric power.

P.S. No, the Staudacher doesn't have the vertical that it had on gas. But then, it didn't have the vertical on gas that it would have had on glow either......
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old May 19, 2001, 05:33 AM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
The Citabria should have a reasonable performance envelope on the two astro 25's. They are lighter than the Dewalt system by at least a pound!! I have the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants for it (save a couple of ounces here too)

I think it's totaly do-able. Three months to the NEAT Fair!!!
Old May 19, 2001, 05:43 AM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Mar 2001
86 Posts
Dr.E,

What do you expect the all up flying weight of your "airbatiC" to be? I've got a 1/4 scale Pilot Super Decathlon that has been started and shelved for about 11 yrs now. I would consider electrifiing it if I knew that I could get resonable performance from it. Granted, the Super D is way more aerobatic than a Citabria, but I want something that will allow it to do scale aerobatics. No torque rolls here.

Tom
Aero-BearAZ is offline Find More Posts by Aero-BearAZ
Old May 19, 2001, 05:49 AM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
I think it should be around the 14-16 lb ballpark. Power should be 65-70 watts/lb.
Old May 19, 2001, 06:44 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
My first post was not meant to imply that this could not or should not be done. Hey, I've e-powered a 1/4 scale J-3 and a 1/3 scale Stitts and had fun with both projects. But, from an economics, flyability and ease of use aspect, conversion of both of these models to small gasoline engines was a positive experience.

OTOH, I'm flying a TF Airacobra in a manner that could not be done with IC. The plane has no odd looking proturbances, sounds good and is very manageable. But, when somebody markets a small, .60 size gasoline engine, I'd have to re-think. I'm not hung up on either choice of power, I'm just open minded and will choose the BEST option. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 19, 2001, 08:50 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Oct 2000
1,030 Posts
AerobearAZ do you want to sell or trade that Super Decathlon ?
Any other Pilot kits?
flailing is offline Find More Posts by flailing
Old May 19, 2001, 11:13 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Hi Doc,last year at the Rhinebeck model fly- in there was a guy who had a 1/4 scale b-usa cub.i asked him if he made any changes to the wood or the building process he said no.i built it completely from the kit.twin dewalt18v 28 cells(i think) it flew very nicely.Go For it!!!!! (p.s. i'm getting ready my self for the neat festival,"Me 323"!) have fun.stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old May 19, 2001, 05:26 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,839 Posts
I am flying a Sig 1/4 scale Spacewalker on 24 NiMh 3000s with a MAXCIM brushless motor and 5/1 gears. The model was built stock from the kit and weighs 13 lbs ready to fly. 10-12 minutes flights are common with scale-like flight.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old May 19, 2001, 08:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
What's up Doc?
Course you can - there was a 1/4 scale Sig Cub at the Triad weekend in NC last year, a humunguous number of pounds, 32 or 36 cells and a pair of DeWalts, flew just fine for long enough, and I recall it "only" had 1900 mA nicads. If you had a brace of AF25's and lashed them onto a MAT twin or made yourself a dual motor 'box, they'd have to be better for weight and power.

If your model is only to frame-up, might be possible to put it on a diet - I've heard Nosens were 'overly adequate' structurally.

Go do it - if we stop pushing and start buying in e-power, we'll soon look like the oilburners. Like, having to remember which BARF is yours when its time to go home

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 20, 2001, 12:51 AM
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,528 Posts
That sounds encouraging!! BTW I should be able to sneak the wife over next week end to the Rockville Funfly at Mt. T. Maybe we can sneak some margaritas at the Austin grill and talk about our Passat wagons too!!
Old May 21, 2001, 02:31 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
You're on Doc. I'm the one with the funny accent who'll be running around plenty. If I ain't around, talk to the red-head on tranny control - that's my better half, Sue.

"Raven" (My wagon - it's black and flies!) and her kid sister "Fudge" (Sue's 98 Beetle) will be in the staff parking lot

You flying or just passing through?

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:16 PM
Velcro = lawn dart
Joined Jul 2003
928 Posts
Hmm.. Is it still hanging in the basement ?
Goleith is offline Find More Posts by Goleith