HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:15 AM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Well, as previously mentioned, I now anxiously await my radio and batteries so that I can get this bird in the air. Unfortunately the batteries aren't due this week, so I doubt the maiden will happen before Christmas -- unless the radio arrives this week and I decide to try to fly it on some 7 cell packs I have. I need to get advice about that first.

Here are a few shots of the almost-complete Maggie.

The landing gear and camera mount are built and ready to be attached. I will do that after I install the battery.
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:20 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
ToyBoy,

The Magpie flies great on 8 cell so I think it will fly fine on 7 cell.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Pretty good TB! Did you shrink the tape at all?
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:21 AM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Excellent news; thanks Doug.

rutat, I did shrink the tape on the wing, although I probably didn't do a very good job. I wasn't very impressed with the results so I didn't bother trying it on the fuselage.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:05 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
So is the camera mount included with the kit? If so, that's pretty cool
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Dec 17, 2004, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Extra cost option.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:51 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
ToyBoy,

My compliments on a great build thread! The covering demonstration and how you improvised during the build is very informative.

One method I use to shrink heat-shrink in confined areas is with a trim iron turned to the high setting; just run the iron down the length of tube and it shrinks up nice and tight.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:52 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for the compliments, and for the tip. I don't have an iron but I'm sure to end up getting one before long, so I'll try that - sounds like a very good solution.

BoneDoc,

The camera mount is available for $10 from MM. If you'd prefer to make your own, there are some excellent examples in this thread.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:19 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Bad Pixie!

Well, I got my radio yesterday, and decided to use my Kan900 7-cell packs until the Kan650's turn up.

So out I went this morning, all excited to finally maiden this ship.

Sadly, it was not to be. As I was taxiing, the ESC cut out and started beeping. Upon inspection I discovered that it was faulty. Just placing a little pressure on it in certain ways would cause it to cut out. I had to abort.

I still have a little more to write up about the build. Will try to get to that later today.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:29 PM
Newark Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
2 Questions. I am just finishing up my Magpie with the GWS motor and a 3 cell 1200 mah.

1. Tried to balance it with the trainer wing on, and with the battery sitting clear up front on the nose, the tail still sat on the table. That cant be good I had the COG point 1/2 inch behind the back of the band that goes around the wing.

2. The trainer wing dont seem to fit real well in the wing cradle, the bottom V of the wing just kind of sits on the foam and wont sit tight. I havnt tried the sport wing yet and I just had 2 rubber bands on for balancing.
Thanks!!!!!!
Hivoltage is offline Find More Posts by Hivoltage
Old Dec 20, 2004, 08:43 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Hivoltage,

1. Not sure what you mean about the balance. Regardless of the COG, the tail is always going to sit on the ground due to the positioning of the landing gear. If the plane were to balance on the landing gear, the wheels would have to be at the COG which is too far back.

Setting the COG is one thing I've found difficult, partly due to the fact that I happened to mount my landing gear right about where I want to support the plane while checking the COG, and it really gets in the way. It also looked bad, so I've taken the gear off and am in the process of mounting it again in a much less obtrusive way.

2. I noticed the same thing with the SF wing, but when you affix it to the fuse with enough rubber bands to hold it firmly, it will flex/deform a bit, and fit the wing supports snugly.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Test the CG by balancing the plane under the wing at the CG point
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:31 AM
Newark Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
I meant when I balance the plane by the proper COG, which is 1/2 inch behind the spar, it is still tail heavy, even when the battery sits on the nose of the plane, so whats up with that???. I worded that kind of badly!!!!
Hivoltage is offline Find More Posts by Hivoltage
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:34 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Hivoltage,

It is always a drag to have to add weight but this is what I am going to recommend. Position the battery where you want it, preferably near the nose, then add weight to the nose till it balances properly. I'd rather the plane be heavy than have an aft CG.

I know of one Magpie that is flying at over 30 ounces with a camera and it still flies well. You will be fine with the added weight.

One more thing. A 3S Lipoly is too much for that GWS motor. I've been known to use them but do try to be careful with the throttle as you can quickly burn out the motor with that pack.

Good luck and drop me an email if I can be of further help.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 22, 2004, 06:46 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
A couple of things to a great build article.

What I did with the cutouts was to cover them with tape, then cut an X through the middle and fold the Vs into the hole. Worked well.

For shrinking the tubing on the pushrods, I used a soldering iron. Easier to control the heat and not melt foam. Just rub the tip along the tubing to shrink. You do need to rub it top, bottom and inside and outside to get it to shrink well. I wondered about the pushrod design, but figured I would try it, and I like it.

WRT the heat gun, an iron works well to stick it down, but the heat gun works better to shrink and smooth the tape covering. I tried the iron, wasn't happy, so I bought a heat gun just for this model. And I'm glad I did. It takes a bit more heat than I was comfortable with to start. But start with teh gun well away and moving quickly, then easy in and go slower until you see the tape start to get shiny and shrink. It does make the job look a LOT better, and smooths out most of the wrinkles I had in teh tape.

I used hot glue to attach the servos. To make the pockets, you can use a soldering iron to melt out the foam. Be careful to not melt out too much.

WRT CG, it is one of the MOST important things to get right for a good flying model. If it is off, it should be off towards the front, NOT aft of the recommended location. A god pilot can compensate, but as a trainer, success would be compromised.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone