Originally Posted by rutat
Excellent job!
Thank you kindly!
gandharvas is offline Find More Posts by gandharvas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2005, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Instead of 3M77 use water based contact (DAP) MUCH easier to work with. I should be taking pictures of my build... (But only if it comes out as good looking as your Magpie! )

BTW, what powerplant do you have in there? That's a brushless?
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old May 03, 2005, 10:45 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Yeah what motor are you using? I'm using a Astro 010 in a gearbox and it pulls my Magpie at a pretty good clip not blazing fast but fast.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old May 03, 2005, 10:54 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Instead of 3M77 use water based contact (DAP) MUCH easier to work with. I should be taking pictures of my build... (But only if it comes out as good looking as your Magpie! )

BTW, what powerplant do you have in there? That's a brushless?

Ahhh, I will try the DAP for the sport wing, thanks for the tip.

Thanks again, I was really pleased with the way mine came out. I just took a lot of extra time and worked way slower than I wanted to. It was hard not to rush through it. Sanding foam wasn't much fun either. But I think the results are worth it. Now if I can keep a steady hand and not tank her into the ground.

The motor is a Feigao 1308416L brushless (15 amps). It is going through a Castle Creations ESC. The receiver is a Berg-5*DSPII. I'm using a Poly-Quest PQ-B1500-HG 3S Li-Po battery. The servos are GWS Naros. I just checked the prop, it is actually an 11X8.5 APC. Should be a screamer.
Old May 03, 2005, 11:26 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Quote:
Should be a screamer.
IKAGLTO

Those F-motors seem to be really popular. I have an Aventura water bird just begging for a brushless. After I blow through the 350 I got from MM I may have to try one on the Magpie.

What sanding gave you heartburn??
Old May 04, 2005, 11:50 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
IKAGLTO

Those F-motors seem to be really popular. I have an Aventura water bird just begging for a brushless. After I blow through the 350 I got from MM I may have to try one on the Magpie.

What sanding gave you heartburn??
IKAGLTO? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.

Sanding the body and wings was irritating, but may helped smooth everything out. It bugged me to be sanding away and then pop out a whole bunch of the little foam balls.

When do you think you are going to finish up your 'Pie? I'm pretty stoked about mine.
Old May 05, 2005, 08:34 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ
One Point,

Congrats on a great first purchase, the Pie is great fun. On the battery issue, I swap between 1050's and 650's on mine, and have one spot cut out just forward of the wing and behind the motor mount. When I use the 650 I just put a foam spacer in front of the pack and use velcro to mount it in the hole.

-Scott
Do you notice any difference in flight performance between using the 1050's and 650's? Does the extra weight of the 1050's seem to make any difference? What sort of flight times do you get with the different batteries? I'm new to RC planes and plan to make the Magpie my first plane, but I've been going back and forth on the batteries to get (don't want to try lipo yet...)

It takes a while to get your mind around thinking what difference a couple of ounces can make, I'm still getting there...

Thanks!

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old May 05, 2005, 04:45 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Thanks onepoint and gandharvas for the thread acknowledgement. I'm really glad it was helpful. Your 'pie looks great, gandharvas. I can't see any tape overlaps in that shot.

I'm still flying my Magpie and enjoying it. As everyone discovers, the biggest PITA is the way CG shifts with different battery packs. I recommend setting up your plane for one type of pack and just sticking with that, if possible. But I know it's nice to be able to use whatever packs you have on hand. The good thing is that the 'pie can carry a lot of weight, so you can always throw some ballast on when you need to. I carry a bunch of 1/4oz lead weights and constantly add and remove them with different battery packs, and depending on whether or not I have the camera on.

Just try to set her up for whichever battery you expect to use most. And don't make any cuts or other decisions about your build until you actually have those packs in your hand and you can stick them on the fuse and test the CG. Whenever I try to make predictions like that, I invariably get it wrong.

When you guys still on NiMH are ready to go to LiPo, you'll love it. With a PQ2200 pack and my long-can 400 brushed motor, I can fly for more than half an hour of throttle-on time. Eventually I will go brushless, and should then get even longer run times.

rutat: Get a move on with that 'pie, man! You're taking too long.
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
Last edited by ToyBoy; May 05, 2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old May 05, 2005, 06:43 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Andy,

I would say go with the 1050's, if you move up to brushless later on, then you will want them as well and the added thrust will make up for any loss due to weight. I don't think the performance between the two packs is real noticable either.

-Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old May 05, 2005, 11:29 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy
Thanks onepoint and gandharvas for the thread acknowledgement. I'm really glad it was helpful. Your 'pie looks great, gandharvas. I can't see any tape overlaps in that shot.
Sure thing, ToyBoy, I read and re-read your thread what seems like a dozen times before I got started.

And thanks, you can't see too much tape overlap in this shot either. I think the yellow tape worked well with white foam underneath, and the black worked really well.

Hopefully the next picture will be in the air. Finished all the re-soldering, re-aligned the rudder and recharged the batteries tonight. Two(ish) days until Saturday!
Old May 08, 2005, 01:48 AM
Colorado Springs,Co.
Joined Apr 2005
30 Posts
DAP-oritis

[QUOTE=rutat]Instead of 3M77 use water based contact (DAP) MUCH easier to work with.
rutat- How did you apply it? I've found 2 applications needed. The first soaks in and my covering (Towerkote- didn't want the tape overlaps) won't stick. That can weights 16 oz.- I'm worried about the weight. I haven't made too much of a dent in the can yet doing the bottom of the wing and the motor bay but still its gonna add up. I had bought a can of 3M foam-safe aerosol adhesive when looking at 3M 77- maybe I should use that?
onepoint is offline Find More Posts by onepoint
Old May 08, 2005, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Oh... Towercote - NO IDEA abpout that and contact cement. I've never used Towercote - is it sticky at all? Don't forget DAP etc. is a two-sided cement. BITH parts (cover AND substrate) have to have adhesive surfaces. There's no real weight gain from the cement in my experiments.

TB - you are right. But the "honey do "list is taking precedence!
Old May 08, 2005, 10:06 PM
Colorado Springs,Co.
Joined Apr 2005
30 Posts
Grandharvas- EXCELLENT!! Rutat- Towerkote is said to have a heat activated adhesive but I don't see-feel-smell anything. It does have the peel off backing. Do I understand you to mean that you use one app. of DAP and rely on the adhesive of your covering for the second 'side'? So my second app. IS adding weight. Toyboy- I have all 3 batt. packs in hand. The kit pack is a brick pack and I will cut into the fuse about 1/2 cell deep to reduce wind resistance and lateral stability problems. The other 2 are 1150 mah flat packs and I will mount them on the surface using velcro with a strap around it so it is adjustable. I assume the CG stays the same when going to the sport wing.
onepoint is offline Find More Posts by onepoint
Old May 08, 2005, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Onept. - a single coat of Elmers or DAP water based contact cement is all you need. Packing tape sticks like glue! The heat after (I tried iron ut the hairdryer/heatgun seems to do the same thing) is more than enough. I don't like the curse of the mummy look either, but then you look at gandaharvas' planes...

The reason I like the water based contact cement is manyfold - the kids can help (really!); there's no messy overspray or stench; you can easily do a section at a time without masking and it is even better for the environment since there's no offgassing to speak of. But if must use Towercote you might be forced to use 3M77. I'd rather follow the 5 meter rule (from 5 m away it looks great etc.)
Old May 08, 2005, 11:13 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint
Grandharvas- EXCELLENT!!
Thanks!!! I see you are up in the Springs, that is cool, we are almost neighbors! We might have to go flying some time.

Quote:
I don't like the curse of the mummy look either, but then you look at gandaharvas' planes...
You guys are great! All those years of building models have finally paid off!

rutat, you need to take care of that honey-do list and get your 'pie in the sky. Or at least give us some in progress shots (or did I miss them earlier in the thread?).

Quote:
there's no messy overspray or stench;
I didn't notice too much of a stench, but man oh man, I have found the overspray on everything in the workshop!! Another thing, is you have to move fast, or you lose the adhesiveness of the 3M77. I found that by the time I got to the leading edge, I needed to apply another coat of 3M77. But I was moving pretty slowly.

Well, I didn't get to maiden it this weekend. The wind hasn't blown for weeks, and the it decides to blow most of the weekend. Ah, well, I'd rather have a gentle breeze than be white-knuckling the controls.