HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:52 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,720 Posts
The site linked earlier here doesnt work, but that was 2005. I was wondering if he was still in the kit biz, and answered my own question:

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/

I so wish these were readily available in the US, always loved the lines of all his designs, Brian your color scheme is perfect
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Hi,

I would pick up a WOT 4 as well if they could be found for a reasonable price in the U.S.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:46 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm sure you could order one from a supplier in the UK, but the shipping and everything would probably be huge. too bad you didn't know anyone going over there (or perhaps you do) and pay extra for them to bring it back as luggage. that's what I did quite a few years ago when I bought two of them back to Canada with me. next time I go to the UK, I'm gonna get a Wots Wot and/or and Acro Wot

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:16 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
The site linked earlier here doesnt work, but that was 2005. I was wondering if he was still in the kit biz, and answered my own question:

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/

I so wish these were readily available in the US, always loved the lines of all his designs, Brian your color scheme is perfect
Thanks David

My Wottie has flown quite a bit, such that the original fluorescent orange trim had turned to a light peach colour, so a refurb was in order. The blue trim does set off the yellow. I really like yellow and blue aeroplanes

A fair number of Wot-4s are knock-offs, built from a set of templates that pass from person-to-person like some ancient relic. The wing is an excellent introduction to foam-wing hot wire cutting, though there is some doubt as to whether these perform as well as the genuine article.

An ex-clubmate of mine could -and frequently did - knock-up (or off) a Wot-4 from scratch over the weekend. I've also seen numerous half-sized, 1.5x and even a x2 version at various club fields. I'd describe the Wot-4 as the UK equivalent to Das Ugly Stick.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:34 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Always struck me as a clever trick that the WOT4 and all other CF designs didn't come with a plan.

Plans ship quick, even quicker when some kind soul puts in the time and effort to digitise them in some form. The Wots are very simplistic sports models and even with a built-up wing, wouldn't take long to run up for someone with some building time.

I once hauled a kit back from UK to US - a Flair Puppetteer bipe, which comes in a somewhat smaller box than the WOTs, thanks to its built-up frame. It was a while back too, probably be much less fun in today's security environment. Even so, it wasn't something I'd do as a hobby...

Foss's 'no plan, no spares' policy is completely in opposition to Sig's - you can go on Sig's website and buy plans, canopies and other spares for very reasonable prices. Sez he, who has two 4* plans and several canopies somewhere in a box. Shame, I could be up for a AcroWOT if I could get a plan, cowl and canopy - the rest would only be the same shape.

Wonder how much longer before the kits fade out in favour of BARFs?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,502 Posts
Hi Dereck

There seems to be a bit of a resurgence in kits over here at the moment, with the reissue of some classics that had dissappeared from the scene, such as the Crescent Bullet and Tornado.

The Flair Scouts continue and one of my clubmates, having been attracted to the hibby by a string of ARTFs is in the middle of his first kit build - a Puppeteer as it happens. We have another member building his first plan-built model, from an Arsey Enemy free plan and one of our crew has built a whole series of wierd and wonderful creations, completely out of (or would that be off) his head.

It isn't all instant gratification, and hope springs eternal, unlike Wot-4 cowls (which are available, though expensive). It ought not be beyond the wit of a modeller to knock up a Wottie-a-like, just from a few pictures.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:25 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Puppeteer - there's a good place to start on learning how to build Still, it will work great and the kit accuracy should help your buddy in getting all the bipe bits point in their correct directions. Every one I've seen or heard of flew great, including one that looked like maybe it shouldn't...

The WOT-E has trickled across my doodle pad ocassionally, but though I had one of the best US designed high wingers for years - Aveox's EMBAT - and still have a full build-able from plan for it, the memories of taking the wing off to 'refuel' still make me shudder.

WOT was aimed at being bolted onto the back of the hottest 60 around, despite what the boxtop said - add to that, high wingers don't knife edge worth a durn without a lot of fudging and bodging, so I doubt if I'll ever get around to one. My one venture into the Ugly Stik field suggests I should stay away from the high winged, supposedly aerobatic category

Alan's model looks 'vairy interestink' - is it oily, or has he fitted a dummy engine to it for fun?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck