HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it's funny that you mention a built up tail. I've had the Wot for so long, that I've lost many of the pieces, after building only the fuselage and wing. so I've got a few options here............

the wing is put together, but after sitting for so long, the wood is starting to peel away from the foam. so I think I am going to strip the wood off the wing and go to town with a hot knife. I will cut away foam from the center of the wing (spanwise) and add a spar on the CG point, edge the foam with wood and make ribs using the foil profile. then I'll re-skin the wing over the foam and cover with film. that whould knock quite a bit of weight off the wing.

the fuse has also taken some punishment from sitting in a closet for so many years. so I'm removing damaged sections of wood and replacing them. then I've measured exact spots to drill out with a 3/4 inch fine tooth hole drill. or, I'm going to cut out entire sections and strengthen with light ply. I got that idea after seeing an E-Flite Eratix at the club the other week, so I'm thinking I liked the look of it. LOL. either way, I'm looking to remove weight from all that solid wood that makes up the fuse.

the tail..................I lost the elevators and rudder, so I've got to build my own. I got the dimensions from another RCG member and I've built new ones, using built-up technique, rather than the original solid plates. now I have to remove the solid section of the horizontal stab and use built up technique for that aswell. I will also do the same to the vertical stab.

I've been eyeing up an E-Flight Power 46 and Turnigy 5S 5000mAh packs. I already have a Plush80 ESC that I know is way overkill, but I already have it and it's not being used. so I'm hoping I can lighten this plane enough, that it will fly well on that power system, or an equivalent of it. I will be looking on the Hobby King site, since I'll be ordering the batts from there anyway, I may as well order one of their motors and try it out. the only thing I don't know about is the wheels..............i'm assuming they are about 2 inches or so, again, those are among the pieces I have lost over the years. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:02 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Rich, my Wottie has the CF undercarriage option, which is money well spent and the wheels are about 2.5" diameter.

Here's how the Turnigy 5s1p 5000mah packs look in the model.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
did you build the tray like the Foss web site shows? just wondering because it looks like they have a big gaping hole on the bottom of the plane. looks like yours are easily accessed through the top. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

thanks for the wheel info by the way. I may have to see about ordering the CF undercarriage. I also may need a nose cone as it looks like that is lost too. then again, I've seen plenty of Wotties at the fields without the nose, so might not be such a bad thing. LOL.

Rich
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
It's pretty rare to see a Wot 4 with a cowl TBH

My battery goes in from underneath and behind, on an angled ramp - there are pictures earlier in the thread. That saves taking the wing off.

The battery tray is my own design, put in a while before the Chris Foss e-conversion instructions were publicised. It just seemed the most obvious place to fit the battery, since the nose is so short -I'd done a similar thing with a Piper Cub years ago.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, I went back through the thread, just to be sure. LOL. I think I'll do what you did though and put a panel over the hole. I know they say to leave it open for cooling, but that's a big hole for stuff to fall out of, god forbid. I'll cut a hole in the panel for cooling and I'll put some in other key locations to expell warm air. they say your outlets shoudl be 20% bigger than your inlet for proper cooling, so I'll go with that, plus a precentage, just to make sure.

Rich
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:16 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Sorry Rich - I've only just seen your post.

I think Gerry has pretty much covered your question.

The Twister 60 works great, the AXI 4120/18 is another good choice. Those both work well on 6 decent Lipos in the 4000 -5000 capacity range. I've been impressed with the eMax motors in smaller sizes and will eventually order up one of their larger ones to go in another ex-glow conversion in the near future.

It's worth noting that some people are also flying the newer, lighter, ARTF WOT-4 on 5 cells as well as on 6 cells. My Turnigy 5s1p5000mah packs fit the Wottie like a glove.

My Wottie is up on blocks at the moment, having a tail transplant for a lighter, stronger, built up item, rather than the sheet balsa version, with the ultimate aim of lightening the rear end a bit to let me use those lipos rather than the NiMhs that I was using previously.
I just bought a used Scorpion 4025-10 from Ed Lyerly and that thing is wonderful on 6 Cells with a 14x7 and I even tried it on 5 cells with a 15x10 and is was great too.

I'm a little shy of Turnigy motors. I have a buddy that bought one for a 450 size heli and it was a dud. It must have been wired wrong because all it did was oscillate back and forth and get hot.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmm. point well taken. I suppose you get what you pay for. maybe I'll stick with the E-Flite motor. I'm sure it should do well in the Wot.

Rich
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
WOT4 conversion

Had a disappointment today. The Emax BL4020/08 motor seized up on takeoff. Over the past few days it's had about 12 flights, each of 5-6 min duration (small capacity batteries) on occasions it has made a grating noise but then ran smoothly. When examined the shaft was locked, I thought the bearings had seized or a magnet had become dislodged and was jamming the rotor. However, when I dismantled it nothing appeared untoward and on reassembly I could rotate it by hand so, rigged it up on the bench and ran it up to 500W, but it sounded very rough.
Have replaced it with the Axi 4120/18, will see how that goes next time I get to the field.
Good to see the renewed interest in this thread, the WOT4 has plenty of mileage in it yet.
If I get it right there should be a couple of pics of my conversion: the motor installation and the battery tray template which was mounted horizontally on the lower doublers.
Regards,
Gerry
Electric Gerry is offline Find More Posts by Electric Gerry
Old May 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
Further disappointments. I swapped the Emax BL4020/08 for an old Axi 4120/18 which I have flown for a while in a Chipmunk. After a few flights the motor stopped and subsequent investigation showed the Hobbywing 60A Opto ESC was completely dead.
Changed the ESC for an identical unit from the Chipmunk, bench tests were fine, but immediately after takeoff the motor stopped again. Back to the bench, and although I could run up the motors, at full throttle they kept cutting out.
This poses the question: can a faulty motor damage an ESC and, can a faulty ESC damage a motor?
I think I will have to ask this question on a power train Forum.
Regards,
Gerry
Old May 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
can't an old battery pack also cause that problem? if it's not quite up to snuff, it can cause what seems like an LVC condition. I've seen this happen on EDF planes. although, I will admit that a prop job isn't pulling anywhere near the same kinds of power from a battery as an EDF does. however, after saying that, it still seems to make sense to me.

Rich
Old May 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Have you measured the current draw and battery voltage?

A faulty motor can burn out an ESC and a faulty ESC can stop a motor from running, plus, if the current draw is higher than the battery can deliver, the voltage will sag, maybe even down to LVC.

More information needed on the actual current you are pulling, and how the battery is coping with that.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:04 PM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
Thanks for your interest guys,
All the original components were brand new from Giant Cod: Bl4020/08, Hobbywing 60 Opto ESC and Loong Max 'Tipple' 3000mA-h 6S LiPo. The motor and ESC are now US.
Loading and operation were checked on the bench with a W,A,V,mAh meter. Approx. 550W, 30A and 20V under load, all within spec.
I have since bought a new Axi 4120/18 and Jeti 70 Opto ESC. Maidened these today and all went well. Rather windy so the flying was a bit erratic but it was good to have the Wottie in the air again. Weather looks good for tomorrow so hopefully get in some more practice.
Regards,
Gerry
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
Crash and repair

Had a few weeks of excellent flying, really enjoying my WOT4. Then it failed to recover from a spin. So far as I can tell the rudder jammed hard over when the supplied glued rudder horn shifted. Damage was faily extensive but fortunately the motor and ESC survived.
Just finished the repair and she looks good. Took the opportunity to improve the battery access which is now through a removable bit of decking directly behind the motor.
Awaiting some flyable weather.
Cheers.
PS. I've replaced the supplied rudder horn with a normal pair of control horns bolted through the rudder, as I usually do with Pull-pull controls.
Last edited by Electric Gerry; Jun 10, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
Glad to hear your Wottie is back in the air Gerry - and with improved battery access too.

I'm on the verge of mothballing my Wot-4, for the summer, to make use of the motor in a summer aeroplane, perhaps my Flair Puppeteer. I'm sure she won't mind loaning out motor and ESC for a while, provided she gets them back in the "winter hack" role
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:22 AM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
Thanks for coming back. I am hoping to take my BMFA 'B' cert this summer and the Wottie is the ideal model to cope with the flying element so need to get plenty of air time.
Enjoy the summer.
Regards,
Gerry