HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2004, 09:26 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
I am thinking the same thing, a small hatch to the rear of the colling duct to allow access, and the job would be done. I have a lot of work to do at the moment (honest!) but will take a look at the fuselage next trip to the workshop (if I can get it onto the bench with three other projects in the way!)

Just seen your location - I lived in Cheshire for quite a few years (Bramhall)

Dave
David Smith is offline Find More Posts by David Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:30 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
I've just re-weighed the model with all the bits in and far from being 7.5lbs (as estimated) I was pleasantly surprised to find that she actually only weighs 6lbs 6oz

Did I really say only?

2 packs of 8xGP3300s have been made up and are being formatted as we type.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:32 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Only two ounces heavier than mine is with 16 FAUPs.
Dave
David Smith is offline Find More Posts by David Smith
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:20 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,201 Posts
How is your twister 60 going.
I am looking at converting a 66" scale cessna ARF I have to E power,
I have the twister 60 and twister 90 in mind.
The model was design for 60 2 stroke or 90 four stoke use so i think i will need the twister 90 to give that sports performance.
Heres the Specs
SPECIFICATION
Wingspan...................66" (1680mm)
Length..........................51-1/4'' (1300 mm)
Wing area...................579 sq in (37.35 dm sq)
Weight......................... 6.2-6.5 lb (2.8-2.9 kg)
Radio(not included)......4 Channel
Engine(not included)..... 0.40-0.60 (2-Stroke)
0.60-0.90 (4-Stroke)
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:06 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi guys,

Anyone know of a US distributor for Chris Foss kits?

Thanks, Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 12, 2005, 08:21 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Hiya Mick and Micky

I hadn't seen this thread since first putting it up and missed the questions.

The Twister 60 is still working great, so much so that I've got a second one in my Silhouette and a Twister 90 as well- very impressive motors. I'll be really interested to hear how you go on with your Twister 90, mine is going in a Mick Reeves FW190D.
Someone said the other day that the Twister .60 on 16 cells is more akin to a .46cu in 2 stroke in terms of power, which makes sense to me. To get .60cu in 2 stroke power out of the motor it needs to be on 24 cells I reckon.

I don't know of a distributor of Chris Foss kits in the USA Micky but your best bet would be to ask Chris directly.
http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/business.htm

Anyway my reason for revisiting the thread is that Tim Hooper took some nice flying pictures of the Wot 4 down at Shifnal earlier this week and I wanted to add them to the thread. The Wot-4 is still going strong and flies every time I go to the field. I must get a cowl sorted out soon. The glow flyers always show an interest in seeing an electified version of the most abundant sports model at most UK club fields.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Grasie
Joined Jan 2007
14 Posts
Hi guys newbee here, I have just got my first plane, a new wot 4 for £60 boxed and what to run electric to start with to see how i get on, any tips on what to buy for my first plane would be a great help ie controller/motor/batterys/speed controller and the like. I have heard a lot of good things about the plane and hope it will be a good trainer. i have not yet joined a club but i am thinking i may if i get the bug for this, in the mean time is it ok to fly an electirc in a park or open field as i am not sure? any way i am far of flying yet as it is still in the box, hope you can help Grasie
Grasie is offline Find More Posts by Grasie
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,363 Posts
I have always liked the WOT-4 and was never able to get my hands on one. Since looking I have found the Bubbles which is a free plan of similar size and love it.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just giving an option if you can't find the WOT-4.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:58 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Well the Wottie was still going strong on the Twister 60, until yesterday afternoon when she shed a magnet from the motor and the resultant increased current draw, heat or both caused her to go dead in the air. Pumping the throttle lever up and down was met with a gently windmilling propellor. Luckily I had enough height on, so a circuit and recovery to a decent landing, produced no damage at all. Trying the throttle on the ground I was able to taxi back to the flightline, so assume that the ESC had saved itself by going into themal cutout.

On the bench the ESC was warm, the batteries were hot and the motor was pretty warm as well. The shed magnet could be felt as a scrape when the prop was rotated and visible through the gap between the outrunner bell and the rear of the motor. A few minutes work with a scraper and CA by my pal Kev had the magnet glued back in place and the motor ran again.

However even after a short burst it was obvious that something wasn't right. The esc was warmer than it should have been, so I put a meter on the model. At WOT the motor was drawing 48 amps, too much for the 45 amp Jeti Advance esc and 10 amps higher than when previously measured, on the same prop and cells, when the model was electrified.

I think for the short term I'll just swap the Twister for the one on the bench and run some tests on that motor to see if it's banjaxed beyond use.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:21 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Just an update if anyone happens to be looking for info on the Twister. I gave the motor a good dose of looking at after the field repair and everything seemed to be in order but with that massive current draw I thought that propping down would get the current back within the realms of what was reasonable. Fitting an APC-E 12x8" prop dropped the current back down to the 38amp level that it was at previously, which I found incredible. I can't believe that dropping down an inch in diameter and half inch in pitch would lose 10 amps on the current draw.

I do wonder whether in all the fiddling around with the ESC that I'd managed to set the timing of the motor incorrectly. I spent a good half hour attempting to get the Jeti programming card to work (without my reading glasses ) before noticing when I got home that the esc is not a Advance Plus and therefore not programmable by the card.

Yesterday's flights were great. The Wottie now has a bit more speed than on the larger prop, there are no signs of distress from the ESC and the batteries were performing well too. Looks like the motor is okay for continued use in that model.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Couple of piccies of a spring-cleaned Wottie after a bit of a tail repair and replacement of the faded dayglo-orange trim. Oh and yep, that's a Wottie with a cowl. Completely un-natural I know.

I'm enjoying the model so much that I'm definitely going to convert my mothballed Uno-Wot over the winter.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:32 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
just found this thread and think this is great. I have a Wot4 from the early 90's that's partially built and want to convert to electric. what would you suggest to use now that we've got newer technology available? I was looking at the e flite power 46, but I'm sure there are many more available that will work. I also have a Turnigy Plush80 ESC that I can use. any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Feb 2004
148 Posts
Rich,
I picked up your question a few days ago, but didn't feel qualified to reply until I had maidened my WOT4, which I did today. Had a couple of flights which went well, plenty of power and just a little trim required.
There are so many motors available nowadays that rather than recommending a particular motor I suggest you just look at the spec of those which have been tried and found to work and choose one that meets your own criteria of cost and availability.
The Twister 60 is highly recommended: 660W, 30A, 600Kv 235g using 6SLP and 12x6 prop.
The Axi equivalent is one of the 4120 series, I have a 4120/18: 40A, 660Kv, 320g using 6SLP, and a 13x8 prop.Cost £95 in the UK.
I am using an Epower 4020/08: 40A, 520Kv, 236g using 6SLP and 13x8.5 prop. giving about 550W. Cost £30 in the UK.
Now that I have it flying I may make some alterations, but it is a good starting point.
Best of luck,
Gerry
Electric Gerry is offline Find More Posts by Electric Gerry
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
thanks for the inforamtion Gerry, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll see if I can find that motor, or equivalent over here.

congrats on the maiden and hope you get many years out of yours. I know I'm hoping that for mine. my first Wot went in pretty hard, so this is gonna be better...............hopefully. LOL. I'm sick of wiping up nitro gunk, so electric it is for this bird.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:45 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
just found this thread and think this is great. I have a Wot4 from the early 90's that's partially built and want to convert to electric. what would you suggest to use now that we've got newer technology available? I was looking at the e flite power 46, but I'm sure there are many more available that will work. I also have a Turnigy Plush80 ESC that I can use. any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Rich
Sorry Rich - I've only just seen your post.

I think Gerry has pretty much covered your question.

The Twister 60 works great, the AXI 4120/18 is another good choice. Those both work well on 6 decent Lipos in the 4000 -5000 capacity range. I've been impressed with the eMax motors in smaller sizes and will eventually order up one of their larger ones to go in another ex-glow conversion in the near future.

It's worth noting that some people are also flying the newer, lighter, ARTF WOT-4 on 5 cells as well as on 6 cells. My Turnigy 5s1p5000mah packs fit the Wottie like a glove.

My Wottie is up on blocks at the moment, having a tail transplant for a lighter, stronger, built up item, rather than the sheet balsa version, with the ultimate aim of lightening the rear end a bit to let me use those lipos rather than the NiMhs that I was using previously.