HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2004, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2004
34 Posts
Jaguar by Larry Hargrave - Does anyone know anything about it, Good or Bad?

I've got a chance to get a Brand New kit in the box, of a Larry Hargrave Jaguar, and it has a new Duralene fuselage. Foam wing cores with Balsa sheeting. I've read that it is supposed to be quite a performer on the slope. It is a slope 69" wing. Any and all comments and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
jimbailey is offline Find More Posts by jimbailey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2004, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
392 Posts
Jaguar is Very good. I bought one off of Ebay for $120 dollars and stored it. I also bought a fuse from a Hobby Shop in Glendale for $50 dollars and thought that was a great deal. Seems like a few of them are popping up for sale. To me its on of those must have planes. I thinks it better that the SR-7, another Duralene plane from that era.

It has a lot of wing area so it can fly in medium/light to heavy conditions. I would make room in the plane for 3# of ballast for heavy wind conditions. Its a very smooooooooth flying plane that can carry a lot of inerta. I guess you can categorize it as a Power Slope Soarer.

Got to fly my brothers at Sierra Rd. in San Jose. It was during a rain storm with the winds coming from the south at 35 mph. Had 2# of ballast in it. Launched it and it went up vertically in the lift. Did some huge dives from 1000 feet up. That was cool. Also did 300 foot loops

Dom
dbaya is online now Find More Posts by dbaya
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaya
Jaguar is Very good. I bought one off of Ebay for $120 dollars and stored it. I also bought a fuse from a Hobby Shop in Glendale for $50 dollars and thought that was a great deal. Seems like a few of them are popping up for sale. To me its on of those must have planes. I thinks it better that the SR-7, another Duralene plane from that era.

It has a lot of wing area so it can fly in medium/light to heavy conditions. I would make room in the plane for 3# of ballast for heavy wind conditions. Its a very smooooooooth flying plane that can carry a lot of inerta. I guess you can categorize it as a Power Slope Soarer.

Got to fly my brothers at Sierra Rd. in San Jose. It was during a rain storm with the winds coming from the south at 35 mph. Had 2# of ballast in it. Launched it and it went up vertically in the lift. Did some huge dives from 1000 feet up. That was cool. Also did 300 foot loops

Dom
Hello,

I've also got a brand new SR7 also from Bob Martin, haven't put it together yet, but will soon.

Thanks for your response.

Jim
jimbailey is offline Find More Posts by jimbailey
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:10 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Here we go again.....

Here you'll find some Jaguar pictures, comments, kits for sale....knock yourself out!!

Short Kits are still for sale, and Ill find that link for that Full Kit thats sittin up in the Bay Area..... still lookin for it though.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jaguar

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Jaguar

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jaguar

......any questions, post em or PM me.

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Last edited by Aerobat152A; Dec 05, 2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:21 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
What airfoil does that thing use? E374 thinned out or something similar? Seems like a pretty cool retro sloper.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:28 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
I wouldnt know Steve.... it was my first Aileron ship in the 80's, all I know is I liked the looks better than those Cheetah lookin things. Target is cuttin some cores for the short kits, maybe he knows....... and I also got a set of the "performance cores" that came out later ... that Targets gonna cut a few of.... Im curious myself!!

Kevin
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:29 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Well if Target is cutting cores, I know what they'll be...lean and mean! Hehehe

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:58 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Jags fly good. I don't think you could use the phrase "quite a performer" to describe a Jag though. Compared to most of todays high end ships the Jag is quite sedate. It's a nice stable plane that flies well. It's reasonably fast but not ballistic. It still looks great in the air and should be a fun plane to have in the quiver.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
392 Posts
Airfoil

Yah, its not a F3F plane or a dynamic soarer. It looks cool, but won't be fast as a rodent. A little draggy with the exhaust and intake.

As far as the airfoil, its not an E-374 or thinned out SD6060. Rather its a shoe airfoil. Traced from the bottom of a shoe. I sure would like to try one of the above airfoils or whatever an expert would recommend.

Dominic
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:32 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Having had one in the mid 80's, it was a nice beater, looked alittle nicer than some of the bland lookin planes from back then. Flew in some fairly lite wind when others couldnt. Planes like Talons...Son of Sam's... and other better performers where around, but a Jaguar's just another plane, that became a choice to own back then, and I enjoyed it.

I do have a couple of em that Ill experiment with, as far as different airfoils.... detachable wing makes that easy... but its just for the experience.... cutting cores, different sheeting methods... if nothin else, who knows, even bagging em....

Ill probably teach my kid baseball using the Duralene fuse as a whiffle bat...who knows.

Kevin
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:10 PM
Clear out the SQUABS!
Fremont, CA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Dominic,

Have you asked Dennis if he has any more of the Jaguar kits? He might sell you one. He sold one to a squab a little while back. I think he had six of them at that time. I don't think he has any more SR7 kits left, but he had a few of those also.

Dan
danand is offline Find More Posts by danand
Old Dec 05, 2004, 07:49 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Heres the link for a NIB Full Kit for sale that I said earlier was in the San Francisco Bay area..... soaringMoe probably still has it if anyones interested, full kits are cool...... everythings already in there, except hinges I guess :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284745

Kevin
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Canada, SK, Division No. 8
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Interesting read. I am putting the finishing touches of a Jag and can't find the CG on the plans, instructions or the net. The second issue is what should the leading edge look like on this airfoil?

I went with the "V" tail, which is a first for me! Built a block for 2 servos (HiTec HS85) that sit fairly close to where I would think the CG would be. The ailerons will be controlled with outboard (2 servos in the wing), and having the control horns out the top.

Am I out to lunch here? This is my first Pure Slope plane build, have constructed a few thermal ships, but hey I live in slope glider fuel heaven!
What Tree is offline Find More Posts by What Tree
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Mar 2004
392 Posts
Cg

I checked the manual and it said look at the plans. I pulled out the plans and it did not have the measurement, but it did have the CG symbol above the wing. (circle cross every other 4th blacked out.) I got a measurement of 7 1/16 inch from leading edge or 179 mm.

Elevator throws says +- 3/8 inch, Ailerons start with 1/4" +-. 3/8" or more for faster roll rate
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,235 Posts
I own one, its set up a stock build, ply sheeted is the only thing I did different. It flies great! I have flown this 3.5 lb'r in as little as 6 mph wind with ease and in 25/30 mph wind. It turns really good, gains instead of droppin out, VERY stable and VERY smooth flyer and yes looks bitchin in the air, like a B52. Having a duralene fuse it allowed me to fly at locations I wouldnt fly a PSSr or moldie due to small rocky LZ's. I trained my neighbor on it too, I would sheet it ply though just to beef it up. I thought mine said somewhere it was an SD6060,, Ill check the manual.

And for 'what tree' the LE of the wing should be rounded, not sharp
Heres a pic of mine, wing is white on bottom
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot