HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:56 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
The Twinkle - amphibious pond flyer (half size north star)

Finally finished the third phase of the prototype... design, build, fly.

Made to look like a North Star, and after some little modification, it flies like a champion. Water handling is awesome. Initial attempts it just scooted around the water, not wanting to rotate. While it makes an excellent boat, I really wanted a plane. So I broke and reset the fin changing the thrust line. Did this three times and playing with the CofG. Now... it's a little dream. Takes off in little distance either on or off water.

In an attempt to get more flyers to the water, I posted a thread in the parkflyer's thread... here

And here's a pic...

...there's more pics posted into the park flyer thread.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2004, 05:45 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Wow, great build! If you lived closer I could scan the drawing and convert it to a PDF for you as I work at a copy shop, but from looking at the green gras, warm water and blue sky - just must be living on a different planet!

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:40 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
Very nice.

Any concern about water getting into the Lipoly pack?

Fredrik:

Looks like Australian water to me ;-)

David
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides
Old Dec 05, 2004, 07:16 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Even a scan of the plan wouldn't be much. Little more than a 1:1 three view. Which is fine if you dont mind making it up as you go along. Actually the fin and stabilizer as it flew aren't on paper at all. It does show the important positions, though I still need to correct the thrust line. Anyways, if this is the kind of plan you like, then copies shouldn't be hard. You can build off the wing plan if you know which line I actually built from.

...I suppose it boils down to the fact I have a little work to do on the plans to let other people build them. :P

Ironsides... Only a teeny tiny amount of bilge water if the going was rough. But with the sponge holding the receiver etc, there wasn't much chance of the lipo's getting wet enough to do damage.

And you're right, it's Australian water. Was home on holidays. I'm back in the US now (PA) and the plane will be shipped to me so I can measure it to update the plan and make a second prototype. Which I'm still debating... so many other projects to design and build.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 09:41 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
VERY nicely done!

Is that a VarioProp on your model?

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Dec 06, 2004, 12:18 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
VarioProp it is. Great little prop so far. Very limited options for multi-blade props at this size.
Old Dec 08, 2004, 03:36 AM
Joined Aug 2004
84 Posts
Your mini Northstar is very nice, Great Job! Nice color scheme also.

I would love to see some flying, takeoff and landing video. Any chance of that happening?
Handy is offline Find More Posts by Handy
Old Dec 08, 2004, 01:38 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
I'd love to get some. But the plane is on another continent (Australia) and will be posted up to me soon (PA, USA). I built and flew it on holidays at home. When I get it, then I should be able to wrangle someone to operate my camera for me.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
The twinkle is on its way from down under. Will have a flight video from land next week.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:21 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Excellent! I look forward to it

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Dec 22, 2004, 06:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Movies...

I posted some movies in the parkflyer forum, because they're land based flying. Water flying movies will be posted here when I get them. Here's the forum link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312881
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:57 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Did you ever get plans done for this KM? I know I saw mention of them but couldn't find anything else.
Thanks
Bill
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jan 30, 2005, 05:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
I'm getting there. Was looking at making the plans on the computer, but I think I'll just draw them on paper again and scan them in.

I'm also going to try one more different nose on it. The most fun planes to fly are the most abused, and this thing has been abused. One of her coolest things to do is a wing tip scrape when you're taking off. Taking off the road and tip scraping has worn through the covering and some of the wood on the tip floats. ...But after a chunk of abuse, I'm rebuilding the nose for the second time (a couple of bad moves when feeling out its flight envelope, and she loves flying low and slow, but has a quirky stall after plenty of warning. I really should listen to the warning more often, but it's too much fun to stall onto the ground. I'll get a video of this in the next couple of days). The last one changed the flight characteristics. So I'll try one more, and then draw the better alternative in the plan.

...but the plans are coming!
Old Jan 30, 2005, 06:28 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Good deal. I've got the balsa bug and am almost done with the FlyRC DP Cub. The thought of a float plane is too enticing to pass up. This one appears to be super kewl and sure does look pretty in the air. Purple is the perfect color to.
Bill
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Feb 09, 2005, 01:13 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Subscribed..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram