HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2004, 08:26 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
Dianosis: Diamond 4.4s death. Cause unknown...

Well, after a wonderfull maiden of my new Ava, I decided to toss the Blaster up in the air before it got too dark. After the sixth throw, the Blaster veered hard to the right on the launch and would not track straight for the glide down. It would continue to turn to the right and stall. Luckily, I got her down. Upon inspection, thr rudder servo was dead! No movement/no buzz, nothing. It was fixed to the right. This explains the goofy flight. After I popped it out, I noticed that the bottom of the servo got very warm to the touch. I am thinking the amplifyer in the servo is dead.

Glad it was the rudder servo. Could have cost me a blaster if it was something else.

Alex
Eyefly is offline Find More Posts by Eyefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2004, 09:57 PM
Boomer
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
159 Posts
Hope that is not typical of the Diamond 4.4's because I was about to start using them. I have had very good luck with the Diamond 5.4's. I have used them as wing servos for over a year and backdrive them all the time without any problems.

Boomer
bomeara is offline Find More Posts by bomeara
Old Dec 04, 2004, 10:14 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,208 Posts
Same thing happened to Austin with his blaster, fried the rudder servo. I think it was a diamond.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 04, 2004, 10:30 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly
Well, after a wonderfull maiden of my new Ava, I decided to toss the Blaster up in the air before it got too dark. After the sixth throw, the Blaster veered hard to the right on the launch and would not track straight for the glide down. It would continue to turn to the right and stall. Luckily, I got her down. Upon inspection, thr rudder servo was dead! No movement/no buzz, nothing. It was fixed to the right. This explains the goofy flight. After I popped it out, I noticed that the bottom of the servo got very warm to the touch. I am thinking the amplifyer in the servo is dead.

Glad it was the rudder servo. Could have cost me a blaster if it was something else.

Alex
Yeap.. EXCTLY the same thing.. The pane tried to go right so hard I thought it was an aileron! I got her down safe. Now I ahve a D60 on the rudder, not problems at all so far! Knock on wood!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Dec 04, 2004, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
I replaced both elevator and rudder with HS55s. That all I had in stock... I dont think I will go back to the 4.4s.

Alex
Old Dec 04, 2004, 11:25 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Eye;

You lucky dog!
Where would one find the build and fly thread for your Ava?

Austin;
You told me it was just a matter of time before you killed that 4.4. I have one on a small 3d plane that stutters. Sure wish someone else would come out with a servo this light that is reliable and similar in price.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:20 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Have you guys tried the CS4.4s or the CS5.4s?? I own two 5.4s and they are Great. I use them in my apogee. But i wonder if it will work for the DLGs. I went for weight penalty and bought hs-56hbs for the ailerons and rudders for my Absalut. I'll let you guys know how it holds up on the rudder. Not that it's the same plane as the blaster, but it should be identical...
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:35 AM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
I had 2 cs4.4. Both fail within 2 weeks. I got them replaced from the distributor. 1 of them failed again. I have decided not to use them at all. Replace both with D5.4. A little better, but still troble. D5.4 does not center well (at least on mine) and has too much free play even powered. Replace both servos ago with JR 241. I should have done this at the first place. I also tried JR 281. The best servo I ever used.
rendy
Rendy is offline Find More Posts by Rendy
Old Dec 05, 2004, 08:10 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
I would also like to comment that the HS-55s are MUCH smoother than the 4.4s. Thr 4.4s would move and sound "ratchety". I am more used to the HS 55s snoother sound. I got a chance to hear some JR digital sevos the other day. These things are smoother than a prom queens theighs! I may have to try the JR 281s if they ever get the Evo to work with them.

Kirby,

I dont have my own build thread. There was alredy one on line so I just added. My photos are at the end of the thread. As you have seen before, i can get quite photo-happy. Here is a link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173093

Alex

(Edited for spelling corrections)
Old Dec 05, 2004, 08:37 PM
thc
Johnsonville
Joined Apr 2002
94 Posts
Can somebody please tell me why you guys insist on using dinky little servos in your airplanes?

I can't figure it out, and it's killing me....

My feeling is that if I have spent several hundred dollars on a glider, I'm not going to run the risk of killing it with average servos. I think there are only a couple of servos out there worthy of the high end DLGS, those being the JR 241 and the Airtronics 90941. Saving a few grams is meaningless when it affects reliability and performance. The JR 281 is fine if you feel you need digital.

Just my opinion.

thc.
thc is offline Find More Posts by thc
Old Dec 05, 2004, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
thc,

I agree. I was not aware that the diamond is a cheep servo when I bought them. I know now. HS 55 and 241 for me from now on... My diamond servos were recommended by Barry Kennedy when I bouht the Blaster.

Alex
Old Dec 05, 2004, 09:12 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,208 Posts
On Denny's recommendation I went with the JR 281's for my XP-4,
I'll never go back, they are sooo precise.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 05, 2004, 09:34 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly
thc,

I agree. I was not aware that the diamond is a cheep servo when I bought them. I know now. HS 55 and 241 for me from now on... My diamond servos were recommended by Barry Kennedy when I bouht the Blaster.

Alex

Alex,

The Dymond servos are not "cheap" servos. They are an incredible value and are very durable. Using thme on a DLG rudder is asking too much from the tiny thing. Siomply because a few of us used them in an aplication unfit for them does not mean they are cheap servos. They are very high quality. I have the D-60's in my wing and I love them.. No better servo for 20 bux. Also, the next sub 5 gram servos I buy will be Dymond servos.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Dec 05, 2004, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,650 Posts
If they are not cheep, why do they burn out? Is it from abuse? Hard launching or hard landing?

Alex
Old Dec 05, 2004, 11:52 PM
thc
Johnsonville
Joined Apr 2002
94 Posts
Great value they may be, but I had a less than satisfactory experience with D60's in a two servo DLG wing. I won't use them in this application again but would perhaps consider them for a four servo wing where the loads are lower. That would not help centering issues however, which was one of the problems.

Austin makes a good point in that many servos are not necessarily bad, just that we ask a little too much of them sometimes. This applies from hand launch to turbine models. Often easier to blame the equipment rather than rethink the application.

thc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
Alex,

The Dymond servos are not "cheap" servos. They are an incredible value and are very durable. Using thme on a DLG rudder is asking too much from the tiny thing. Siomply because a few of us used them in an aplication unfit for them does not mean they are cheap servos. They are very high quality. I have the D-60's in my wing and I love them.. No better servo for 20 bux. Also, the next sub 5 gram servos I buy will be Dymond servos.
thc is offline Find More Posts by thc