HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2002, 05:54 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
new car (new used car that is)

well i don't have money to burn like some people. So I went for practical and reliable and most of all, inexpensive. Plus my car went out on me so I didn't have much of a choice. Sooo, i got a 1994 Ford Tempo and it will only take me 9 months to pay it off at $50 a week.

I got one problem though, it has automatic locks and the only one it works on is the drivers side, and for some reason the back doors won't come unlocked period. I have to run but if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong, please let me know. My dad's gonna take a look at it, and I love my dad very much.. but as far as cars are concerned.. lets just say I need this car to last a while.

Sass
SassyCat is offline Find More Posts by SassyCat
Old Feb 28, 2002, 07:04 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
A freind of mine had a mid 90's Tempo that had bad lock actuators on all but the driver's door too. The actuators were totally toasted. Apparently, water can leak into the doors and runs right onto the actuators. The driver's door has a piece of plastic that covers the wiring and also protects the actuator. The actuators are probably shot.

Sorry for the bad news .

If you have time, take one of the rear door panels off, they're easier than the front. Check the actuator to see if it has any obvious problems. Hook a voltmeter up to the lead wires and have someone work the lock/unluck button so you can see if there is any power going to the locks. It may just be a blow fuse somewhere.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Feb 28, 2002, 08:54 PM
I live in a condo
Joined Jan 2002
2 Posts
Sass, Get the doors unlocked and leave them that way.

I always leave my car unlocked because there is nothing
worth stealing in the car. I own a 91 Chevy Cavilier station wagon and a 84 Ford F-150. Only an idiot would want to steal
these vehicles. I leave them unlocked because I would rather
a thief have easy access to the car than break a window to
get in. Windows are expensive to replace!
KillJoy is offline Find More Posts by KillJoy
Old Mar 01, 2002, 05:09 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Congratulations on getting your new car , Sass ! I hope you have good luck with it... I tend to buy sensible vehicles too... I just bought a 70mpg scooter but can't ride it on major highways yet because NJ DMV wants me to bring in to them in April before they will ok eveything...seems like they don't do too much bike stuff during the cold weather months

Vw tech 's advice sounds very good..if it doesn't work can you just use the locks manually ? I haven't bought a car with electric locks yet and don't miss them !

Change your oil often
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old Mar 01, 2002, 07:13 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
Good choice, Sass. Two of my daughters have Tempos and they're like the Energizer Bunny.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 01, 2002, 07:51 AM
Van
New York
Joined Nov 2001
343 Posts
I do the same thing, Killjoy. Leave my car unlocked because I'd rather not have a would-be thief break in.

Of course, I once had my windshield smashed by a passer-by. Car was unlocked, and nothing stolen -- just someone thought it would be a good idea to break my windshield.
Van is offline Find More Posts by Van
Old Mar 01, 2002, 01:03 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
well, actually the locks will NOT pull up
they figure that the parents put the child safety locks on cause the last people that had it had two car seats in back. Plus, they disconnected the automatic locks or something like that.

I'm gonna let my dad read that VWtechie since i'm not the one doing it. (I don't know anything about cars) I'll remember to change the oil every 3000 miles, or something like that, right? It runs like a dream tho.. heater works great stereo has a tape player.. and my friend found out the blue book price and I got a GREAT deal so i feel much better about this. But I do need to be able to get my plane into the back seat and it wont go over the front seats.. so I'd like to get that fixed..

Sass
Old Mar 01, 2002, 01:59 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
A friend of mine had a '93 Tempo. That thing had like 350 thous. miles on, 1st gear was gone, 3rd was shaky, and when it got below freezing the engine would squeal for about ten mins. It just wouldn't die. He finally rolled it doing cookies out on a frozen lake, then he parted it out and made about $500. Crazy!!

I would throw the electronic actuators in the woods, they are junk. If you disconnect them, you should be able to run them manualy (womanly?? ). I don't know about not locking it, nowadays people will steal a piece of gum off your seat that's been chewed already if you give them half a chance (OK, not everybody). Also, there's gonna come a day when you 'forget' and lock it, and if the locks are froze up, your out of luck.

Sassy, what color is it? If you bring it up here I'll put some coola$$ flames on it for you!!

-Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Mar 01, 2002, 03:01 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
Nah, I can't leave my car unlocked, because I WILL waste money on a cd player for the car and I KNOW people steal those. Plus, at work I have to keep stuff in my car sometimes. (I try not to, but sometimes it's necessary).

See I was never taught anything about cars. My dad is very mechanically challenged. My brother is learning, but only what other people have been able to teach him. If I ever get married, the guy will have to be good at mechanics and be willing to teach me. I think it would be killer to be able to do my own oil changes and stuff. It would at LEAST be nice to be able to change a tire.

i can get the two front doors open, so I'm okay for now. But I really am gonna need the backseat eventually. (for my PLANE <just in case anyone was smirking>)

It was a pretty good deal. It's an automatic and runs great.

BTW, Mefly, it's red.... I dunno about flames. They just wouldn't fit. Plus that's an awful long way to drive just to get decals on my car..

Sass
Old Mar 01, 2002, 03:44 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
(heh, heh, flames

....Hmmm, I have some Arctic Cat neon green left over from painting snowmobile hoods...red with green flames, hmmm...I was just kidding about the flames, it would probably be the only Tempo ever with flames.

Changing oil and spares is pretty good things to know. Next time you go to get your oil changed, ask them if you can watch. Usually, if it's a smaller garage or something, they don't mind. Bigger places sometimes have safety regs. that won't allow you to go in the service area. Write down what filter you need. They could probably show you how to change a tire too.

You can get a pretty good idea from the owners manual too. If you don't have one, you can probably get one from a Ford dealer. It's alway's nice to have one anyway. Just make sure you are careful with jacks and make sure you block the tires and use jackstands if you can. I know a lot of people get in a hurry and don't use them, but you don't want a jack failing when your under a car (unless your Popeye, of course).

If you need help with this stuff, I, or somebody else could talk you through step by step I'm sure, and please don't feel that we think your just a 'dumb girl'. I know quite a few guys who don't have a clue how to do it.

Later,
-Bob
Old Mar 01, 2002, 04:01 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
there is this one girl at work who is, in all aspects, a tomboy. She changed her transmission at 10. Her dad just watched. Pretty cool. She offered to fix my old car but I was about ready for a new car. Plus I just can't let someone work on my car and not pay them. Wait I take that back, I can't have a girl work on my car and not pay them for it. (cause girls that know cars usually do a better job than any guy I've met.. no offense) Guys are usually in it for the money, whereas girls that do it actually enjoy it.

Sass
Old Mar 01, 2002, 04:28 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
(picturing Sassy in a 'Heil Hitler' stance)

"GIRL POWER"

.....the world as we know it has officialy ended....

-Bob
Old Mar 01, 2002, 06:14 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
The rear doors would open from the outside if it was the child locks, so since they are both frozen, it is the probably auto actuators like above posts suggest. VWTechie's post has the unmistakeable ring of authenticity. Carefully remove the rear door panels and unhook the frozen actuators.
I rented an older Pontiac at Yellowstone Park; it had a really cool feature that my 13 year old son discovered... with the A/C on high, you could spin the round vents on the dash and they would keep going on their own indefinitely... we got all four going at once, and it sounded like a B-17... this is true

found on road dead or first on race day?
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Mar 01, 2002, 06:23 PM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
OOOHHH!!! Don't even get the Chevy/Ford/Dodge/etc. thing going, it'll never end!!

Of course now you have me going, '91 Mustang GT, '79 F-150 w/6" lift & 36" tires, '76 F-250 Highboy w/6" lift & 40's, and my little '84 Bronco II, soon to have 33's under it.

Yeah, I like Ford, never did me wrong, I guess.

-Bob
Old Mar 01, 2002, 06:27 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
So, mefly2, your fix for Sassycat's doors is drop in a 5.0 liter V-8 w/ Vortech supercharger?
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon