HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2004, 01:22 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Converting and Flying a Composite-ARF Impact

The Impact is an F3A Pattern plane manufactured by Composite-ARF

Composite ARF

Jason Shulman used this model to win this years NATs.

Rob Honeycutt purchased an Impact several months ago but due to his busy work schedule, has been unable to start this project. We had talked a few times about me doing the conversion and a couple of weeks ago I gave in. Rob is kinda famous around here on Ezone. He converted a 35% Composite ARF Extra.

Rob Honeycutt's 35% Extra

Rob decided to order the white/red version of the Impact because he's going to have it customed painted like his Extra.

Yesterday I received a rather large box, about the same size as a coffin but very light. I lugged it upstairs and and opened it up. All the parts have their own pouch which are covered in silver, except the rudder, it was just wrapped in bubble wrap.

This first thing I did was check for any shipping damage and luckily the only thing I found was a couple of small cracks in the cowl chin piece which should be easily repaired.

I weighed all the parts= 85.5oz

Fuselage 28.3
Left Wing 14.1
Right Wing 13.8
Rudder 2.4
Left Stab 3.6
Right Stab 3.4
Wheel Pants 1.9
Accessory bag 10.4
CF Gear 3.4
CF Tube 4.2

I hope to start this project soon. Unfortunately, my daughter had pneumonia several weeks ago, and now I have it. I'm not going to work on Robs Impact until I feel better.

In the meantime we can still talk about motors, props, batteries, servos and any else related since Rob still has to buy all that equipment.

Here are some photos showing the fuselage and wings.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Dec 04, 2004 at 08:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2004, 01:26 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Here's more showing the interior looking toward the nose, the CF gear and tube and wheel pants.

Kelvin
Old Dec 03, 2004, 04:19 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
Whoa, those composite wings are heavy... A sheeted foam, fully complete wing half with 2oz servo is fairly easy to build at 13oz.
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Dec 03, 2004, 05:23 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Oh boy...wheres the power system photos?

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Dec 03, 2004, 06:19 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Very interesting ....... should this be in Performance Models?

The reason I ask is because these are Specialty made competition models that are made of composite materials from the FUSE all the way to the Tail Feathers!

The price range for these models are from $740 all the way to $900.US + shipping. This prices does not include the Hacker C50 + ESC + Mount + etc...

After you are all done it will be over $1,200.US investment

I really don't want to even imagine should something go wrong with this type of model.

Best of luck and happy landings
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 03, 2004, 07:44 PM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Kelvin,

Thanks again for helping take this project on! This impact has been in the back of my office since late summer....It was very nice of you to take time out to work on it..

We are going to outfit this plane first class. When Kelvin is done with it, we are going to put the famous 5#'s of paint on it, so leave some adjustment room on the battery tray for the CG!!

Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions and comments....

Rob
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old Dec 03, 2004, 08:32 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
Rob, can you discuss you ESC and motor choice here? It looks like Hacker offer the best value in a 10cell ESC, but Schulze and Kontronik also have offerings, which the Kontronik getting praise from a few people I've heard from. And then there is the rumour that Castle is close to releasing their 10cell ESC.
Motor wise, seems like Plettenberg _may_ be the best out there (CPLR chose it), but Hacker has been the standard for over a year now, with Axi releasing a low cost choice also (haven't heard any performance reports, though).
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Dec 03, 2004, 09:00 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Kelvin
working on this plane should make you feel better not worse

BTW, when did Rob become "infamous" ... geez, is he the villian of electric RC?

Looks like fun.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Dec 03, 2004, 10:51 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Subscribed........
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Dec 03, 2004, 11:39 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
I'll be watching this one too - Id like a pattern plane for next season and the Impact is at the top of the list!

The only worry I have with the Impact is getting it straight. Im a "measure 10 times, cut once" kind of guy and Im sure Id go nuts trying to make it all line up when cutting those holes in the fuse. This is the only reason Id lean toward the $1300+ airframes where (I believe) much of this work is already been done for you.

Still, the Impact is by far the best value around and it obviously flies well enough (with the right pilot of course...) to win!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2004, 12:32 AM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
This should be interesting to watch. Feel better soon dude.

Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Dec 04, 2004, 02:18 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,720 Posts
Guanoman,

Most folks post pattern stuff here in sport, and pylon and hotliners in high perf, though I have no idea why Subscribed so I can watch too!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2004, 05:56 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofli
Guanoman,

Most folks post pattern stuff here in sport, and pylon and hotliners in high perf, though I have no idea why Subscribed so I can watch too!

Later,
David
Thanks David,

It sure looks like a very Larger GWS FORMOSA but, I am sure the model flys much faster considering it's composite and of course large brushless setup to be installed later.

Nice to see a very First Class Job at E-ZONE for a change.

The FUSE and the Wings looks Great!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 04, 2004, 08:22 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Kelvin,
I'm very pleased to see you doing this thread on the Impact !!
I'll be watching this one as I know you will do the same excellent job you have done on your previous "build and fly" threads .
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Dec 04, 2004, 09:06 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmashima
Kelvin
working on this plane should make you feel better not worse

BTW, when did Rob become "infamous" ... geez, is he the villian of electric RC?

Looks like fun.

-- Kyle
Yeah, wrong choice of words. I was running a fever at the time and wasn't thinking very straight. I've edited it.

I contacted Composite-ARF yesterday via email about their instruction manual. There is a draft manual but there are no accompanying photos or diagrams and looking at all the bits and pieces in the accessory bag it looked a bit intimidating wondering where all the parts where suppose to go.

They responded the same day, a good sign, and stated that the revised manual should be up on their site some time next week which include C50 installation.

Kelvin