Closed Thread
Old Dec 11, 2004, 05:47 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ron
Ron, I checked both sites, it still seems as if hobbys and beyond has them beat in price. But thanks for the links.
I've done a search on the Stryker, and read everything about, lots of good info here. Thanks to everyone taking the time to contribute so much. I'm planning to put one together soon, and have been researching this a little, as I'm new to electrics. I've got a brushless Alpha Mig now.
It seems as if the Mega 16/15/4 is the way to go. Are there any different brands of motors that are the equilivent of this Mega, or should I go with the Mega?
Thanks again for the help!
Tim
wekenav8r is offline Find More Posts by wekenav8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2004, 07:34 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
whats the actual link to hobbys and beyond?
rc_ron is offline Find More Posts by rc_ron
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:03 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
I love my 16/15/4...all kinds of 'umph!'; and boy, do I love 'umph!'.

My only change to my mega setup would be a CC 35 ESC instead of my Jeti...the Jeti does not have an adjustable cutoff...and when I measure my Volts after landing my 3s Lipo....I am getting 10.75...and its close to 11.0 by the time I get home (I get about 7 minutes of hard flying)...I have my geared E-flite 400 setup's CC 25 set to 7.2V cutoff and it's a safe 9.9 -10v by the time I get home. ...looks like I will have my 4th Stryker soon.

I will, however say that my E-flight 400 with a 2.7 gearbox performs almost as well as the Mega...though it has (after measurement) about 5 oz less thrust than the direct-drive-mega...the only difference I notice is that the 5 ounces on the Mega is noticable on takeoffs and vertical...simply put, it's hot!

Still, I am a speed, freak...and I will be upgrading to a Mega 16/25/4 with a 4s after seeing Lex's Stryker...53oz of thrust compared to my Mega's 36 is a nice hop up in push...plus, it looks like that setup hits max speed at about 3/4 throttle (which should keep the CC 35 ESC very happy).

...hanging out with all of you guys in here is going to make me broke...but at least I will be broke and jobless with one helluva hobby to nuture while I wait for the phone to ring with the next job! ...and I will be able to say I have met some truly interesting people! Ha!

--Chuck
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:17 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ron
whats the actual link to hobbys and beyond?
http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.com/

Has anyone had any dealings with them before?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:49 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Chuck:

If you get tired of making the Stryker go fast, try a Multplex Micro Jet. It is just like the Stryker only smaller and lighter. See http://www.hobby-warehouse.com/mumijetrerew.html

From what I have read, it is kind of dog with the stock Speed 400, but Multiplex does sell the kit form without the motor and electronics and a Mega /3 should fit right in without any cutting.

This should keep you on the road to the Poor House....LOL.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:23 PM
W. Lafayette IN. > PURDUE U.
Joined Dec 2004
23 Posts
Ignorant fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Today I was in the LHS trying to get my latest creation a heat sink when a guy walked up to me and said...'why on earth are you blowing hundreds on a 160 dollar plane to modify it with big engines and lipolys when you can just buy a really good plane to begin with?'

I replied...because I can...because I am not getting younger...and because my wife said I needed a hobby and I am hell bent on seeing how far I can take this..." he shrugged and uttered..'what a waste; starving people in the world and here you are spending all this money'...
-Chuck
I saw this thread and just had to throw in my two cents. All I wanted to say is that this guy apparently doesn't appreciate you keeping food on his and his family's table!! I think that sums it up. This man is an ignorant fool.

Words to live by " Better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

This sort of thing just ticks me off.
Jon K is offline Find More Posts by Jon K
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:42 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
when you change from the Jeti to the CC controller please post your results.? thanks Chuck ....TT
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:54 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Hobbies and Beyond

Quote:
Has anyone had any dealings with them before?

http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.com/
I met the owner of Hobbies and Beyond (Kenny) at our local flying field here in Orlando. He is an avid and knowledgable R/C enthusists that has helped me with advice numerous times. Additionally, myself and most of my flying buddies buy our components from him and have never had a problem.

Kenny always shows up at the field with at least 5 or 6 of his personal planes: 3D, wing, scale, pattern. If you need advice on a battery or motor selection, I'm sure you will find him very helpful.

Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Last edited by Jimmy Hoffa; Dec 11, 2004 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:58 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
Phillip, sounds good, I'll be giving him a call. Thanks much!
Tim
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:12 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
...Still have not flown the CC25 swap-out on my Mega...too windy down here...25mph...I would fly my stock or Eflite in this kind of wind...but the Meg model has WAY TOO MUCH LOVE put into it....

I got the CC PHX-Link for the laptop...too cool.

Say....anyone ever use a CC25 with a Mega 16/15/4 set to HARD ADVANCE? I had my JETI 40 set to Hard Timing....no issues...but I am dropping down in AMPS in the ESC...when I tested the setup on the JETI, I was only pulling 25 static (I estimate about 20-23 in flight)....engine, was never warm.

I have not been able to bench test the CC25 ESC...every time I get a moment, the baby is asleep, and the weather on the porch is crappy.

Thoughts?

--Chuck
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:51 PM
BC Canada
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
To VonBaron:

I have similar problem with orientation too. Tho my son doesn't have such problem, he flyes quite naturally. Yesterday I had fly-away, I accidently flew it into the sun and was blinded for a few crucial seconds (with Stryker one doesn't need more than just a few seconds). I killed throttle and crash landed it into somebody's backyard. No damage other than emotional disturbance to the pilot . Old folks whos backyard I landed on were happy to see something new, I think they were bored stiff.

I thought, maybe paint job must be a sorta differential in colours, a lotsa times I cant say which way the plane is, I just wait and see if plane gets smaller (flying away) or bigger.

Big guys here, you must have some kinda tricks up in your sleeves, whut would you recommend? As speed increases its harder to keep the plane at short distance at all times.
chainick is offline Find More Posts by chainick
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:42 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainick
I thought, maybe paint job must be a sorta differential in colours, a lotsa times I cant say which way the plane is, I just wait and see if plane gets smaller (flying away) or bigger.

Big guys here, you must have some kinda tricks up in your sleeves, whut would you recommend? As speed increases its harder to keep the plane at short distance at all times.
RE: Orientation: If you are unsure if the plane is coming toward you or going away from you, move the stick to the right. If the plane turns right it is going away - if it turns left, it is coming toward you. Practice this a few times when you are correctly oriented so you get the hang of it. The trick is once you know which way it is going to get your brain/reflexes to work that way.

RE: Brushless motor timing: Chuck, in the Castle Creations forum, Patrick the owner/designer at CC, has said that the timing is more of a "suggestion" to the controller about where to start rather than a hard lock. Even when set to advanced timing, the controller will seek feedback and adjust itself to the best timing. This is one reason that CC ESC's initially had trouble with outrunners whose feedback and final timing requirements are very different from inrunners like the Mega 16/15/XX motors.

I have an early Phoenix 10 with the older software and it just won't run a PJS300 worth a darn. My latest CC25 runs an Axi 22/12/20 outrunner OK, but the motor really performs well with a Jeti 30-3P. The Jeti's really have the outrunner timing, and particularly smooth starting for them, down cold.

What can really make a difference in performance with the Mega's is how you set the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation - AKA switching frequency). Most of the stock settings are at 11KHz. Some of the newer controllers default to 13 KHz and you can do additional higher settings. Patrick (or maybe it was Shawn) has stated that the motor performs better at a higher frequency, but at the cost of some efficiency (extra heat). He suggests the default setting for most motors, but some can benefit being run at a higher frequency...IF it will stand the heat. Do a search on PWM in the CC vendor forum for more information.

FoamCrusher
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,251 Posts
ChuckD... If you really are a speed freak, why not put a few Stryker pennies into an actual racer?... speed 400 or similar.

If you are indeed a speed freak, you'll be amazed at the rush you can get from a racing plane. During a holiday at home recently I was reunited with my pylon racer and took her out for a spin. It's just a wild rush seeing it howling past.

If you're a speed guy, and you unite with a racing plane... to put it bluntly... you'll get a woody.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:46 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Yeah KM, but pylon racers don't bounce and EPP does

FC
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:14 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN