HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 15, 2005, 07:32 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Aside from the obligatory PKZ combat module...anyone have any good combat contests with the Stryker that they have seen, participated, or heard of....? I know the ribbon on the tail will not work...lest you want a ribbon ball and a broken plane...
Chuck,
We combat all the time, sometimes with fatal results. I've done crape paper on the wingtips but prefer full contact! Once I was in a harrier and got smacked, it didn't take either one of us down though. Last weekend, "Dick Nixon" took a hard hit from the same guy with pretty serious damage. Motor ripped out, fin ripped to shreds, elevon cut in half. No big deal, that's what Stryker are for.
Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2005, 07:54 PM
Chula Vista,CA
Joined Jul 2004
111 Posts
Mike let me know how it works ok keep us posted with some pics also
-----------------------------------
Chuck that was an awsome video we got to talk dude.......are you going to post some more pics on how you mounted the other servos and the rest of the bird? We might have a run coming up to VA or Florida but i'll let you know when it happens so we can hookup. Let's see will i bring my Stryker or my Heli? Why not both ?????? Sorry i missed your call today call me on my work cell during the day i keep my other cell in my lunch box and check it on and off during the day so you have a better chance of reaching me on my work cell.

Art
AV8er48 is offline Find More Posts by AV8er48
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:33 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Is the New Fuse Material Different?

I just picked up a new fuse - the new type with the integrated wing tips - and it seems that the EPP is different from the old style. It is much slicker, holds together better and has more little mold marks. Am I seeing things?

After I sanded off all the mold marks, I tried painting the underside of the new fuse with Krylon Fusion spray paint that is made for plastics. It did not dissolve the foam, but it remains to be seen how well it will stick and how long it will last.

On my old one, I used regular Krylon and it was starting to wear off on the bottom from too many belly landings in the grass....that is until one rather hard single point landing ripped out the motor mount and several squares of foam It was a good excuse to retire the old one and make up a new one. As long as the color is the same, no 'covert' operations will be required.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:53 PM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
IAfter I sanded off all the mold marks, I tried painting the underside of the new fuse with Krylon Fusion spray paint that is made for plastics. It did not dissolve the foam, but it remains to be seen how well it will stick and how long it will last.

On my old one, I used regular Krylon and it was starting to wear off on the bottom from too many belly landings in the grass....that is until one rather hard single point landing ripped out the motor mount and several squares of foam It was a good excuse to retire the old one and make up a new one. As long as the color is the same, no 'covert' operations will be required.

FC
Has anyone tried plastic bumper primer yet? I've heard that there is some promise that this stuff, which you can get at any auto parts store, that it will adhere well to EPP foam. I guess the approach might be to use it as a primer, then use topcoats of desired colors.
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3 Posts
Hey Mr. Hoffa,

I noticed you are in Orlando. I'm just getting started with RC planes and
would like to find some experienced flyers to get some tips.
I have a Park Zone J3 Cub and have managed a few awesome crashes.
So before I burn a hole in the wallet -
I figure it might be good to get some help. I just ordered an Aerobird Challenger -
I read on this site that it is a good starter plane.
So hopefully it will reduce my learning curve.

We live by Lake Nona and would like to find a club or a decent field in our area.
I've heard of a really nice field on the north end of town, but nothing near us.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fuzz
Fuzzy56844 is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzy56844
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:33 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Phillip,

Thats the way my brother...I would like to get a few guys together with some slop models they don't really care about and just play bumper-cars with the strykers...

Perhaps a 'community pot' is in order...every time you fly combat, it's a 15 dollar or higher 'in' (like with Texas Hold Em)...winner takes 70 percent of the kitty while the rest of the money goes to the community repair fund. ...I tend to be communal in my ideas. When it is for money, people look at it like the lottery..."it's not a waste if I might win some cash". We have guys who buy back in to the Hold Em tourneys at 25 bucks 3 times over because "hey, I might win this time"...

----------

Mr Scott...I have tried Fusion and Bumper Bar Primer...Fusion comes off like the rest of em so far...lil chips. Bumper bar has only been tested on the bottom of my Wraith that I bring out to the field...it has held up better...but landing on sand and dune-grass is no real barometer for how it will handle on grass.

----------

Art,

No worries; we're due for one of our three hour calls anyways so there will be plenty of time to catch up. If you are hauling in those F18's into the base...perhaps we can put a mega on the back of one and see how it does.
...har har har... I will post pics and complete instructions on programming this wacky setup as soon as I get a few spare hours.

----------

The final kinks on Rock and Roll are being worked out...waiting for my Graupner Prop...still...like the Orphan Annie Decoder Ring (movie reference for those who have seen A Christmas Story)....

Nite,

--C
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:37 PM
BC Canada
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
back to those bent outward fins...

Hard to say, to measure rather, but I think they contribute to drag on my sloper version, even though I cleaned up the fuse a lot and smoothed surface. Thats what book (my Bible - "Aerodynamics aeronautics and flight mechjanics") says: "...at the fuselage-wing juncture a drug increment results as the boundary layers from two...components interact and thicken locally at the junction. This type of drug penalty will become more severe if survaces meet at an angle other than 90. In particular, acute angles ....should be avoided." This is especially important as we talk about wing's upper sirface where boundary layer is thick and thicker at higher angles of attack (read:flying slow).

And Chuck, I think we are ready to take bitter truth. I mean, its ok, nothing ever goes as planned. Tell us everything, about that little thing you never thought about, about painfull long walk and all...
chainick is offline Find More Posts by chainick
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:53 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Hey Chain,

Only kinks are with trimming on the 4 channel.

Aileron trim moves all but channel 2 (elevator)..and elevator trim moves only Ch 2 (elevator)...going back an forth with Hobbico (Futaba's Tech Support)...

Apparently, there might be a firmware upgrade needed on the TX...dunno yet.

--C
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:50 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Thats the way my brother...I would like to get a few guys together with some slop models they don't really care about and just play bumper-cars with the strykers...
Chuck,
We ain't playin' with old sloppies! It's the first string thats on deck. I had the final crack up of my Gen I when Pete offered me $5 if I could hit him. Pete got away buy I smacked terra firma while in hot pursuit.

Like I always say, I like to: "Fly it like ya stole it"! That's the beauty of a practically indestructable $19 airplane.

We have a new player that is putting together a Mega 3 version. Mark brings the club up to 7 Strykers. I'll have to get a picture and post it. Imagine the sound from all those Megas (and one Phaser 600). I hope we don't get kicked out of the park.

Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:41 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
Good Day and Bad Day

Had a little mishap on launch with my lovely Alpha Mig 15 today see photo below............. So to cheer myself up I just ordered a Mega 16/15/4 and Jeti 30 to soup up a Stryker like you chapS............ Guess what though I had a fly with my stock stryker after the crash with the mig and rearly enjoyed it the close in stuff you can do with confidence is great fun and it is a great plane to get your confidence back on after a confidence sapping mishap. Now all I have to wait for the new type Stryker fuses to arrive in the UK. Oh she the mig is all repaired now only took about 2 hours........... blinking fans need to get on step before too much up

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:54 PM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Hey Chain,

Only kinks are with trimming on the 4 channel.

Aileron trim moves all but channel 2 (elevator)..and elevator trim moves only Ch 2 (elevator)...going back an forth with Hobbico (Futaba's Tech Support)...

Apparently, there might be a firmware upgrade needed on the TX...dunno yet.

--C
Chuck

In each of your mixing programs there is an option to turn trim "on" and link "on". Have you tried that yet? I'll bet you've gone over that with tech support, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Scott
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old Feb 16, 2005, 07:33 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
Time to close this thread and start part 2. The new thread can be found at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77#post3334277
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread