Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 04, 2004, 04:04 PM
just wing it
Foresthill, California
Joined Jul 2004
698 Posts
This is a great thread! - Thanks FC.
I got more than my share of laughs for today.

About explaining to the wife. . . just remember. . . it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

And on the topic of starving people. . . at the dinner table my mom would try to get me to eat all the food piled up on my plate by telling me that there are starving people in Ethiopia. After a while I started telling her. . . Yeah, and there are fat blobs in America! Which problem will I fix by eating all this?

Say, I've got a Mega /4 and Jeti-40 I've been trying to sell with little luck. Perhaps I should get a Stryker instead. Problem solved!
Flappy is offline Find More Posts by Flappy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2004, 05:15 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit
Same thing in the slimer world. Guys are putting $300 Saito 4 strokers in a Hangar 9 Twist, which is a $99 plane when a .40 size engine will fly it that costs
about $80 or so.
Dave...
Hey now! I have a H9 Twist with a Saito 82 Gold Knight in it & power is unreal!!!!

If you're serious about doing 3D, then over-power by 3, or settle for mediocre flying with a lesser engine.

Jim
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Dec 04, 2004, 05:30 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Problably the best example of this is a $35 Slow Stick with Himaxx BL motors in aluminum gear boxes powered by lipo packs.....but I wouldn't know anything about those
Or a GWS Big Tiger Moth 400 with a Himax HA2025-4200 brushless & 3s1p Kokam LiPo, and a 12x8 GWS prop! Of which I know nuffin 'bout, but love flying it

Jim
Old Dec 04, 2004, 05:45 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Excellent info, Foam.

I just maidened the STRYKER/MEGA16/15/4...WOW! Fast!!!
I maiden'd mine last Sunday & yup, these modified F-27 Strykers are screaming missles!!! On mine I epoxied small strips of sandpaper to where you hand hold it for launching. Excellent grip power & no slip!

Seems many of us are going the Mega 16/15/4 & 6x4 prop on 3S1P LiPo setups. I picked up a second fuse & accessories Friday after work. Wife asked why 2? I told her I'm having WAAAAY too much fun with first one & expect to disintegrate it soon, so I need a backup

Going out to fly mine again Sunday morning. Winds are supposed to be 5-10 mph.

Quote:
My mental-umpire shouted....
"....AND HE's SAFE, AT HOME BASE!!! "

--C
LOL!!!
Great story!

Jim
Old Dec 04, 2004, 07:39 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Hey Rat...

I get the fuselages from a few different places...you should see my hall coat closet...looks like a hobbystore for STRYKERS...fins, elevons, pushrods, noses, fuses, decals, canopys...my wife is getting steamed! ha!

To get the fuses...I use two different suppliers...

boondoggles.com (they give you a break on items got the stryker and other Parkzone parts if you order them in bulk of 6-10+) ...I also get them from my LHS (Debbie's RC World...which I think has a website if you google it)...

Hey Foam,

I am coming up with a cooling system (custom scoop) with a guy at the LHS that has been amazed by my passion (and I do not believe that is too strong a word) for the Stryker...he has an idea using...get this...a PLASTIC SPOON...sure, some drag...but at 80MPH, I dont think anyone flying a something slower will notice.

I have an idea for a cooling system using fitted vents (that I just need to 'fit')...

I DO like the Mega...after a day of flying, it is the fastest thing I have ever flown (in my short 2 months in the hobby)...and I will have video tomorrow...for now...some pics of the new unit.

ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Dec 04, 2004, 10:13 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
A STRYKER with 50oz of Static Thrust?!!

Though the hour is getting late once again; once again the hour is of no concern...

I just did some calculations on what WILL be the next STRYKER MOD EXPERIMENT...I came up with 50.3oz (That's 3lbs and 2.3 ounces total) of static thrust; 23.1 in flight.

The intensity of this theory can be appreciated when you also add to the fact that this will only draw (according to math) 25.6 amps from the Mega 16/15/4; which, is at the motors redline...but who flies wide open throttle at a projected 97.2 MPH LEVEL for more than a few seconds?

Here is the setup:
-Mega 16/15/4
-4s Lipoly (I went with a Thunder Power 2100 for amperage/voltage)
-1.7:1 Custom Gearbox
-7X7 prop
-Roll of toilet paper (optional; for what you may do during flight)

I have my brother in P.A. building the mount...and I will most likely have to build some kind of stronger reinforcement for the tail fuse as I do not know what 3lbs of force would do to that...aside from turning my plane into styrofoam peanuts which I am sure the UPS store would not buy at any price good enough to offset the loss.

Nite,

Chuck
Old Dec 04, 2004, 11:02 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
Austin Bergstrom, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Chuck, here's how far I went with my Stryker

-Park Zone F-27 Stryker (not the RTF version ;-)
-Mega 16-25-4
-Graupner 7X7
-PolyQuest 4S-2600mAh
-CC Phx-35, BEC disabled
-KoolFlight Systems UBEC
-AUW w/battery 27oz! Yep that's right!

Static WOT: 20.89A and 245 Watts (freshly charged battery)...~53oz of thrust

MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO...3.7MB 320x200 24FPS

Muchos Gracias to Moter of the E-Zone for launching her and taking the video. This is gonna be a very fun model to chase slower electrics around

Lex
LexTalionis is offline Find More Posts by LexTalionis
Last edited by LexTalionis; Dec 05, 2004 at 07:25 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:04 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
933 Posts
I have probably spent thousands on this hobby and have the following,

1 Raptor 30V2 w/OS50
1 GWS Formosa
1 GWS E-starter
1 Electric Glider
1 .40 low winger trainer
Real flight simulator
Work Bench
Chargers
Lipos
Tools

And the list goes on.....We all work hard, you live only once and so what if I buy another plane.....I could be wasting my money gambling...the payback for me is the great enjoyment I get from flying.

C U in the air.

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:29 AM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
...and an Amen from the tabernacle to Gord!!!!

Hey Lex...WHY MUST YOU POST SUCH THINGS?!!!
That setup is so far beyond cool that you cannot even see cool from where it is. I now have a greater understanding of why dogs sniff other dogs butts...That is the way I am looking at THAT plane right now...I mean, I dont want to sniff my butt, or anyone elses, or a dog's butt for that matter...I meant that the plane is so desireable...wait...oh, ...you GET what I am saying...new rule; NO METAPHORS for me before 6am.

I just had an idea (forget about the dog butt thing...this one is pretty good, really)

Maybe on this thread we could be post templates for mounts, lightweight strengthening materials, and general COOL mods for this foam-made vessel of our passions.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 05:06 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis
Chuck, here's how far I went with my Stryker

-Park Zone F-27 Stryker (not the RTF version ;-)
-Mega 15-25-4
-Graupner 7X7
-PolyQuest 4S-2600mAh
-CC Phx-35, BEC disabled
-KoolFlight Systems UBEC
-AUW w/battery 27oz! Yep that's right!

Static WOT: 20.89A and 245 Watts (freshly charged battery)...~53oz of thrust

MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO...3.7MB 320x200 24FPS
Lex
Was any appreciable speed difference noted between half & full throttle?
In the video it seemed nearly the same for both.

Is the UBEC really needed?
How long are your flights lasting?
LiPo &/or ESC getting hot?

Jim
Old Dec 05, 2004, 05:13 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Maybe on this thread we could be post templates for mounts, lightweight strengthening materials, and general COOL mods for this foam-made vessel of our passions.
Yeah, like the opening up of the cooling vents, my sandpaper for finger grips, and so on.

Also; where to get these mods; LiPo's, ESC, props, and so on at best prices.

Jim
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:58 AM
Bubble Head SSN 762
Austin Bergstrom, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer
Was any appreciable speed difference noted between half & full throttle?
In the video it seemed nearly the same for both.

Is the UBEC really needed?
How long are your flights lasting?
LiPo &/or ESC getting hot?

Jim
Jim,

Between half and full throttle there's a substantial noise increase (hard to tell in the video I guess) but the speed increase is probably only 1/4 of the speed between 0 throttle and 1/2 throttle, i.e. if 1/2 is say 55mph, then full is maybe only 75mph, but this is only a guess. I wish I could clock the speed at WOT. I flew the maiden for about 15mins, maybe a bit more and probably had enough mAh for another 15 mins at least. Castle Creations recommends that with 4S (16VDC no-load) to disable their BEC because it will overheat and shutdown. I didn't even want to test the theory that it may work with this model. Some have used the onboard BEC with 4S Lipoly, but it's not rated for that voltage. Battery and Motor were only warm at best...that's the beauty of using the 16-25-4 vs. the 16-15-X versions....max WOT static amps was only 20.89A, so I suspect that in flight it may only max at 16A => a 2600mAH (2.6AH) at continuous 16A draw leaves a total flight of about 10mins and that at WOT.

Lex
LexTalionis is offline Find More Posts by LexTalionis
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:46 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Jim,

Between half and full throttle there's a substantial noise increase (hard to tell in the video I guess) but the speed increase is probably only 1/4 of the speed between 0 throttle and 1/2 throttle, i.e. if 1/2 is say 55mph, then full is maybe only 75mph, but this is only a guess. I wish I could clock the speed at WOT.
Yeah, a true (radar) WOT speed check would be nice.

Any special reason for going with the 16/25/4 vs 16/25/3?
I ask as the 16/25/3 is rated at a higher 30 amp MAX, while yours is rated lower at 25 amps MAX.

Quote:
Castle Creations recommends that with 4S (16VDC no-load) to disable their BEC because it will overheat and shutdown. I didn't even want to test the theory that it may work with this model. Some have used the onboard BEC with 4S Lipoly, but it's not rated for that voltage.
OK, good explanation.

Quote:
Battery and Motor were only warm at best...that's the beauty of using the 16-25-4 vs. the 16-15-X versions....max WOT static amps was only 20.89A, so I suspect that in flight it may only max at 16A => a 2600mAH (2.6AH) at continuous 16A draw leaves a total flight of about 10mins and that at WOT.

Lex
My 16/15/4 & an MAS 6x4 only draws just under 17 amps, and hasn't yet gotten even warm. Might try an APC 7x6, after I see what my AF Whattmeter shows me.

Jim
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:11 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Who ordered the bent fin?

Yep...like I 'sayd, paw...this booger's dern fast!

While out at the park (W.O.T., of course) I was doing a corkscrew spin when all of the sudden, the Stryker seemed to get sluggish on maneuvers. Not that it was getting slow...just limp.

Upon landing I found the results depicted in the pictures below.

A nasty bend from the underside to the top of the fin in a near perfect diagonal line...my third grade teacher, Ms. DeSantis would be proud at how straight the line was....

Both are seated firmly with 6 inches of double sided sticky tape...so they are solid as a safe in their respective grooves.

Has anyone had to create fin supports? If so...what did you use?

--C
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:26 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Upon landing I found the results depicted in the pictures below.

A nasty bend from the underside to the top of the fin in a near perfect diagonal line...

Has anyone had to create fin supports? If so...what did you use?

--C

Before it happens, I'd suggest using fibre reinforced packing tape on both sides. After it happens, try either popsicle sticks or tongue depressors.

I've had similar happen to the wing(s) on my HobbZone Aerobird.

Jim
Closed Thread