SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 06, 2005, 04:45 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
Austin Bergstrom, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
I bet if you had to sleep on sheet-less nauga-hide mattresses under torpedo stows and share "warm" pillows with your shipmates for 60 days straight while under water, then I bet you wouldn't wannabe ;-)

I would recite Bubble Head nauga-hide jokes, but I've forgotten all of them.

Lex
LexTalionis is offline Find More Posts by LexTalionis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2005, 12:34 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis
I would recite Bubble Head nauga-hide jokes, but I've forgotten all of them.

Lex
Now you guys be careful with those Naugas. They are an endangered species here in CA, and the import or export of their hides is strictly controlled (even though we cannot control our borders for anything else).

Here in the Free Republic of Davis, while possession of other illegal substances is often overlooked, simple possession of a Nauga's hide is enough to get your Golden Retriever or BMW impounded.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Jan 07, 2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2005, 07:56 AM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
BAWHAAAAWWWWWW!!!!! Funny stuff, Foam!!!!!
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Jan 09, 2005, 06:44 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts

While I wait for the billet-alum motor mount that will house my 16/25/4...

I put together a new 16/15/4 model....THE WRAITH! I am pushing it with the 4 cell lipo, I know this...but a chance is a chance; unless you do not take it, then it's a missed opportunity.

A good friend (who is a cop) came out today after his shift with a KA band radar that plugged into my handy cigarette ligher on the truck and after 4 passes....106MPH in an ascent (not dive)!!! We were getting between 75-85 level. ...A few times peaking at 88+ if the wind was at my tail.

I have defintely 'gotten the hang' of building these from the foam fuse (thanks for the tip, Scott, on where to get 'em!)...and I can turn out a sweet ship in about 2 nights.

Had one boo boo today on a landing where I hit a piece of aluminum in the sand and it took out a vert fin, but I was able to come home, glass and paint another, and get one more flight in before the sun went down...and get my 106mph speeding ticket.

More soon,

--C
Last edited by ChuckD; Jan 09, 2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2005, 08:29 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Mine Gott Man! What are you using for the battery pack?

MC shows 4S on a /4 with a 6 x 4 drawing 35 amps Even a 15C pack is going to die very quickly at that current, and it doesn't sound like you were using much in the way of throttle management .

If anyone else tries 4S packs, be aware that unless you have a CC 35 or 45 the BEC will produce expensive magic smoke. The most often used CC 25 will only take up to 10 NiMH cells (12V) and not 4S (16V) packs, even with only two servos.

FC
Old Jan 09, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
-- CC 35 (Standard Timing) 4 cell cutoff set to 12V....and I have not had a 'cut out' yet...ON A TP 2100 2nd generation 15 C burst. (I am switching to a 20C rated 4 cell pack)

It actually only pulls 29amps at W.O.T. (Watt-meter) static and I am guessing that drops to about 25 or 26 in flight (25 is the motor's redline of pain). Motocalc's numbers were off for me, too before when calculating a mega setup on the Stryker. It said the same...but when I bench tested it; voila!

Though I DO NOT advise this setup at all...we Stryker users have a unique advantage; the wind races through the open-ended motor giving it a higher threshold.

Lipos come out warm...but I am VERY gentle with W.O.T....short 15 sec bursts at best.

Will the motor smoke? Maybe...but at this time in the 'How Far Can You Take It' files...this is one mean setup. I will let you know if it does flame out on me...so far...6 flights with this setup
Old Jan 09, 2005, 09:15 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Well chuck, since this is a "how far can you take it" thread, I've had mine radar clocked at 98mph straight and level into a 10mph head wind and 130mph in a steep descent but not quite a full on dive. My setup was a Mega 16/15/4, Polyquest 4s1p 2200, APCe 6x4 prop, CCPhx35.

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Jan 09, 2005, 09:27 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Hey MT,

Good seeing you again!!

We were having trouble getting a radar track on it (he said it was very narrow for that radar) and I had to bank so he could get a solid reading off my bottom...so perhaps I slowed down...it was an old KA radar that they do not really use anymore...and I am sure it had not been calibrated in a while as it had dust all over it. We tested it with a drive by in the car at 35 and it was dead on....

Seeing as I am using the same setup (minus that particular pack and timing set to standard); I will begin stating mine does the same immediately!

I was out flying with 5 guys today at the beach; we were raving about your classic 3D video with the Stryker...you, Lex, and Ron are pretty much famous here in the mid atlantic.

Rock on,

C
Last edited by ChuckD; Jan 09, 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2005, 09:38 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Chuck, to be very honest, you might be faster than me. I'm not sure of your AUW but mine is only 20.5oz. If you glassed yours it is likely to be heavier and stiffer than mine, both of which aid in the speed dept esp. in a dive!
Quote:
I was out flying with 5 guys today at the beach; two of which were raving aabout your classic 3D video with the Stryker...you, Lex, and Ron are pretty much famous here in the mid atlantic.
Hehe. yeah, a legend in my own mind. So my wife says.
Keep up the good work. I love your black "Stryker Wraith" version!

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Jan 10, 2005, 01:14 PM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Der Strykermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Hey MT,

Good seeing you again!!

We were having trouble getting a radar track on it (he said it was very narrow for that radar) and I had to bank so he could get a solid reading off my bottom...so perhaps I slowed down...it was an old KA radar that they do not really use anymore...and I am sure it had not been calibrated in a while as it had dust all over it. We tested it with a drive by in the car at 35 and it was dead on....

Seeing as I am using the same setup (minus that particular pack and timing set to standard); I will begin stating mine does the same immediately!

I was out flying with 5 guys today at the beach; we were raving about your classic 3D video with the Stryker...you, Lex, and Ron are pretty much famous here in the mid atlantic.

Rock on,

C
I was one of the five guys who watched Chuck put his brushless Stryker thru its paces yesterday. Let me just say that we all were in awe with the capabilities of the machine and the man. Excellent piloting skills. Its hard to believe that Chuck has been flying for just a few months.

Chuck, perhaps you should consider changing your handle from ChuckD to "Der Strykermeister", jah?

Scott
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old Jan 10, 2005, 01:23 PM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Hey both ChuckD and MTWallet are heroes here!
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Jan 11, 2005, 02:10 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Scott!

Thanks man! It was awesome to get out to see your band of merry men and experience how the 'Beach Renegades' do it all up ...no by-laws, no meetings, just a bunch of razor sharp crazies pushing the E-Glide to the limits. Despite my encounter with a piece of sand-buried-aluminum, it was one of the best days I have had in quite some time.

Hanging around guys like you will hopefully help some of the talents to rub off on me...take note everyone, the 'Beach Renegades' are for real and harder to find than the A-Team; or perhaps even the fabled, Sasquatch.

Next time I get to see them fly, I will post some pics in the gallery...amazing stuff. My Stryker looks like a fly next to these machines!

Fly on,

C

The STRYKER "Rock and Roll" is coming...this will be my most difficult build yet.
Last edited by ChuckD; Jan 11, 2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Hey Everyone,

We are up in the 70's here at the beach...and the wind is pretty fast, too...

I am doing some 'drawing board' work this week and was wondering if any of the Stryker-Heads have some good stories involving the Mega 16/15/3. I got my hands on one while my 16/25/4 sits in a wharehouse somewhere.

Anyone have any good stories of Apps with the 16/15/3? The best I have found so far on the computer is 3 cells with a 6X3 APC prop....

--C
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:47 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Anyone have any good stories of Apps with the 16/15/3? The best I have found so far on the computer is 3 cells with a 6X3 APC prop....

--C
Chuck:

That motor is an amp hog. It will pull about 37 amps to give you about 31 oz of thrust at a tip speed of 70 mph with the 6 x 3.

Compare that with a /5 on 4S that pulls 25.5 amps to give 30 oz thrust at a tip speed of 74 mph. On the /5 you get 50% more duration and only give up 150 ft/min of RoC on a 6.5 x 3.9.

The trade off doesn't see worth it, until you factor in the cost difference of a 4S over a 3S.

BTW, watch the RPM limit on the /3 if you decide to go nuts and use a 4S pack

FC
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:12 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,590 Posts
Newbee, question what does W.O.T stand for?
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread