Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:28 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
My apologies for taking so long to respond , we had a patch of several months of windy , non-flying weather ... I finally got the baron in the air and WOW!!!!!! It DO' Fly 3D !!!!!!!!! and it's so much FUN !!!!!! With my GBx single (20t) and a 10x7 apc on 2 lipos (700) it will climb straight UP out of my hand .... forget launching , just let it go .... and it does more maneuvers than I can .... I let the best 3D pilot at the field have a go at it and I was AMAZED at the things he did with it (rolling circles , blender ) ... I thought he was gonna' rip the wings off , but the baron is a tough little bird , surviving even his wild twists and turns ...and it 's just a feather too ....power off transitions into a soft glide .NICE !!!!! It does not like too much wind though , being so light , but I was asking for it flying an indoor plane outside.... it just won't penetrate a 10 mph wind very well .... not bad for a feather , a 3D feather ....hahahahaha
Thanks !!!! It's a SUPER FLYER !!!!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2005, 10:47 AM
Lookout, AR
Joined Aug 2004
67 Posts
Glad you like it Glen!
Peter actually originally drew the baron plans for a larger 6mm version, but we decided to start out with the smaller indoor one.
kzey is offline Find More Posts by kzey
Old Jul 01, 2005, 05:48 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Gosh !!! I can't imagine a larger version .... This one is so much FUN!!!!! and seems a perfect size for the equiptment we have ....I'm using 3 GWS pico servos , R4P rx, CC/P-10 esc and a GBX 20t /10/4.7APC SF/2c700lipos.... and fits in the back seat easily ... and it's a feather .... since we don't have any indoor facilities available lately , I can't really judge that aspect , but It sure flies Great outdoors....just not in 10mph + winds... and everyone thinks it's so CUTE, especially the wives....(hey , that's important ...hahahahah) Hmmmmmmmm?????? Larger version would be nice !!!! You have a point there!!!! Thanks !!!! and everybody has gone crazy over the horns...
Old Jul 01, 2005, 08:00 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
G'Day Glen,
glad you like it.

I thought you were going to fit a Feigao 12mm motor and B gearbox.

It is a cute model, compact size and doesn't lack in wing area. Three wings
are a strong visual feature and makes it more difficult to spot that it
is a profile model in the air.

I also think the horns are great. In the past I've used thin ply plates
and always had trouble getting a vertical slice with the knife, consequently
they usally have a lean. Ken's solve this problem with the right angle plate
and they are still simple to install. I'm sure if he did small and large versions
they would easily sell in the right channel.

My first baby baron spent most of its time outdoors.

Here is the link to the larger Fokker DR1.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pmjass/K2E7V5/FOKKERDR1.zip

It was designed around 6mm depron and a Himax 2025/4200 5.33:1.

it flies great also and looks fantastic in the air when up with its partner the SE5A.

Peter
pmjass is offline Find More Posts by pmjass
Last edited by pmjass; Mar 05, 2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2005, 11:08 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
G'Day Peter .... Funny story ... I was fitting the 12mm Feigao /gearbox on the Baron , and turned the motor on without screwing the gearbox to the stick .... It flew outta' my hands and twisted itself Up so much it broke the wires off...... URGH !!!!!!
By sheer determination , I was able to operate on the motor and fix the wires , but it was like Swedish watchmaking and NO fun ....soldering under a jewelers loup ...but it works .... in the meantime , figured that the real one had a rotary engine , why not my nice new 20t GBx..... works great on a 10/4.7 APC SF ... just not WOT all the time ...it's got unlimited vertical now , why have more ??? Fun little plane , becoming everyones FAVORITE .... You can bet I'll check out the bigger one .... Thanks !!!! It's a great design , and so practical ....C'ya!
Old Jul 02, 2005, 08:39 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Ha Ha,
I can laugh. I've had a couple do the twist in my hand. They wrap up tight very quickly.

Tell me more about the motor. Star/Delta? Wire gauge? Static Amps?
It sounds like a good set up. I've wound three motors so far although they have all been the Aircraft-World type motors. If haven't tried a GB motor yet.

Do you think there would be much interest in a mini SE5A. I have the plans for
the outdoor version and it wouldn't take much to scale it down for 3mm depron. I like multiwings when using 3mm Depron as the wingspans are shorter and the struts provide bracing consequently it is a lot easier to get a stiffer structure.

Peter
Old Jul 03, 2005, 10:43 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Anything that gives us a "stiffer structure" has to be good....hahahaha I wouldn't mind seeing the outdoor SE-5.... that would be pretty cool for where we fly ... outdoors mostly ....The indoor one would be great FUN for chasin' the Fokker around....Sounds like you have TWO great designs on your hands ...

Been building the Gb motors ... 3 of the cd type , a GBx, and a GBx double ... the GBx I'm, using in the Baron , is a 20 Turn 26awg (beginner wire ) ...it is supposed to turn an 8in. prop safely, but the 10x3.7 seems quite cool after it's run , and I don't fly WOT all the time either .... plenty of power ...light !!! FUN !!!!!! I flew 2 flights on it this morning , had a GREAT time !!!! and that was on 2c 700's ...3 cells would be too much .. Thanks !!!!
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:31 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Glen,

The thread for the outdoor versions is here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288957

Shoot me an email or a pm and I'll swap the SE5A plans for a copy of your Fokker Pilot file.

With the GB Are you using a star ort delta wind?
Last edited by pmjass; Jul 04, 2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2005, 06:44 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
star wind .... pretty easy for me ...Thanks for the info ...
I had a devil of a time winding those little stators at first , but after ruining a dozen or so , I finally got it .... hahahaha Perfect motor for der' Baron....
Old Dec 27, 2005, 02:21 AM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
I am going to be building this plane shortly. I intend to use it as a slowflyer for at night. My plan is to go without the ailerons and rudder only. I was thinking about adding in some dihedral as well. Any thoughts?

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Dec 27, 2005, 06:00 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Blaz.... You really need to build it as the designer intended , it is a super little plane and personally , I wouldn't change a thing ...dihedral for stability sake is unnecessary , it is stable , slow and floaty, all the qualities we like in a plane for close in flying ....Have FUN!!!!!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
A Dr.1 with dihedral is a crime against nature.

I'd go AET, as that's worked best at working with the tall, tippy wing stack on the various tripes I've built. Don't worry about it holding itself up, just give it enough pitch speed so you can huck 'er around a little bit.

F=MA
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Dec 27, 2005, 02:27 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
I'd install the ailerons if you can. As others have indicated it is basically a slow flying stable responsive model.
I'm not sure whether you are building from plans of from the kit (http://www.digitalmillwork.com/rc_aircrafts_kits.htm).
Ken has done an excellent job with the kit and it is an easy build including the ailerons.

Peter
Old Dec 27, 2005, 03:51 PM
Lookout, AR
Joined Aug 2004
67 Posts
There are some flying videos here: http://www.digitalmillwork.com/gallery/BabyBaron
kzey is offline Find More Posts by kzey
Old Dec 27, 2005, 04:48 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
Alright will build it per the plans. Yes it's not the kit but your plans. I'll just set the low rates low enough so that it won't be a rolling machine. Will post pics once it's done.

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason