Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:38 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,047 Posts
Something not mentioned is that the Norvels don't like to work with the clothes pin type glow clips. The ceramic/whatever coating acts as an insulator so you need to use a clip that goes directly to the plug or plug clamp. I use a beefed up Cox clip so I can yank it off.

Jim's post reminded me of my first experiance with a power panel. I kept hearing a hum when the plug was connected. Used a VOM and was surprised to see 12+ volts at the clip. No problem, but for the first start of the day, I turn the power down and work my way up. I was even more surprised when I accidently plugged the glow clip in the 12v. starter socket! The engine actually popped and I immediatly lost a $10 Cox plug! Turning the power down didn't help!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:59 PM
VidViper
western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
65 Posts
With yours and other similar 12v experiences, I decided to put a piece of black tape over the 12v sockets. (No starter or fueler at present, so nothing lost--but the chance to burn up a glowplug with 12v!).
roger ingersoll is offline Find More Posts by roger ingersoll
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:14 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
I am running a new BigMig .061 on my Zagi XS. I also purchased the Norvel electric starter. I picked up a "clothes pin" type glow plug clip, which turned out to be a piece of crap! I then got some little alligator clips from Radio Shack. I hooked those babies up to a good quality D size battery and PRESTO! It fires up with authority. I do need to cut my 6x3 Tornado prop down though. The Zagi is now 5 oz. lighter(than when it was electrified) But, my buddies Astro 020 powered 400X is still faster.... CAN'T HAVE THAT!!!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
VidViper
western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
65 Posts
Yeah, you can cut that 6x3 down by a full inch. My new .061 seems to needle quite well on a 6x3 cut down to 5 inches. These Norvels LOVE smaller props.
roger ingersoll is offline Find More Posts by roger ingersoll
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:43 PM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
APC 6X2, APC 5.7X3 and COX 5X3 props all work well on the Norvel .061.
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:34 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
541 Posts
I really like the 6x2 especially on my HalfWit. Keeps the speed down some.

Duke
Dukester is offline Find More Posts by Dukester
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:26 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Does the inner diameter of your props fit the prop shaft perfectly? Mine has room to scoot around, so I tried to center them as best as possible. There is very little vibration, but I doubt I could get it centered perfectly. Do you use a prop adapter?
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:53 PM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
You can use a piece fuel tubing if you need to bush out the hub of the prop. Since I got a lathe, I started making adapters for my props.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:50 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Thanks! I'll try the fuse tubing next time I have the prop off. Well, till I hit the local tech schools and have them machine me one out For some reason, I completely forgot about them.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Mar 31, 2005, 03:36 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe Flier
You can use a piece fuel tubing if you need to bush out the hub of the prop. Since I got a lathe, I started making adapters for my props.
Bipe Flier used to use fuel tubing like the rest of us poor folks, but since he acquired that lathe, he's moved on up to the east side with the other machinests -- and makes what we have to cobble up from junk.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:54 PM
DIY user
Barcelona, Spain
Joined Jul 2004
506 Posts
new 1/2 flyer here!

I'm glad I found this thread! I plan to break in my Norvel 0.074 this weekend.
Maybe some of you guys could give me a hand with those dumb questions -sorry but no one here seems to fly with such small powerplants.

What prop range is suitable? 6x3 for break-in, all around use, 7x3 for slower flights...?
I use tornado fuel (15% oil, synthethic only), should there be a problem with that?
Anything I should know to make the engine run comfortable and for many time?
Finally, I'd like to know what plane size (by wingspan, weight, wing area.. doesn't matter) can it handle, for both gentle planes (i.e. a typical high wing plane), sport planes (i.e. any WWII model) or aerobatics (that is, +1:1 power/weight ratio ). I've just translated into cad a 3view drawing of the Transavia Airtruk, it would be nice to power it with the norvel.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Juan
JCaste is offline Find More Posts by JCaste
Old Apr 21, 2005, 05:45 PM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
I use 7X3 on the ones I have. For break in, and flying.

You should have 20% oil with at least some castor. I use 20% all castor in mine.

The .074 can fly 50" 30oz+ models or pull a smaller 20oz model vertical.

Here's a link to a video clip of one of my Norvel .074 powered planes.
http://donatelli.net/12aee/Vertical.mpg