HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2001, 08:02 AM
United States, CT, Enfield
Joined Nov 2000
343 Posts
HL Super Cub first flight report!

Took my new HL Super Cub to the local high school for it's first flight yesterday evening. Takeoff was uneventful; it was in the air after about 20' using about 2/3 throttle. The plane climbed very nicely at ¾ throttle, and appeared to be climbing at almost 45 degrees. Until I crashed into a parking lot light! The light is one of those big square halogen ones about 30' off the ground. It hit the light then started spinning straight down. I was able to pull out a little before it hit so at least it didn't hit straight in. Damage: motor and mount ripped off firewall, cowl torn, landing gear severely bent, 1 small tear in lower covering, and an unrepairable APC 10 x 4.7 slow-flyer prop. No bent shaft though. I have started the repairs and will hopefully give a better 2nd flight report soon.

Paul
Paul is offline Find More Posts by Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2001, 11:51 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Why did you fly it into the light pole?

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old May 13, 2001, 12:03 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Planes are magnetically attracted to poles. this force is actually stronger than gravity. It is a well known law that the force acting on any model plane is proportional to the newness of the model x the inverse of the coefficient of unlikelyhood of hitting the only pole within a 1 mile radius.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old May 13, 2001, 03:12 AM
Seattle, Washington,USA
Joined Jan 2001
57 Posts
Your logic and mathematical formulas are impeccable!
Seattle Jim is offline Find More Posts by Seattle Jim
Old May 13, 2001, 03:40 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,711 Posts
Hey Jim,

It's not just formulas and theories either, he's done extensive field testing and proven that this attraction exists!!!

Hey G...seeya Sunday, if I make it out!!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2001, 06:50 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Paul maybe this will teach you to go to a proper flying facility.. KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old May 13, 2001, 11:32 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Hey David, I'm just practicing for the limbo competitions. I guess I need more practice.

Couple weeks ago I was doing laps around and between the goalposts with my litestick. On one lap I couldn't decide to go right or left...
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old May 13, 2001, 09:38 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,711 Posts
Years ago I saw a guy slam into a 20ft tall tree while attempting a landing approach with a Goldberg Eaglet. Plane hit the trunk of the tree and stopped, hung in tree about 7-8 ft high. Damage....broken spinner...that was it. Why am I never that lucky!!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2001, 11:10 PM
Joined Jan 2001
50 Posts
All these explanations of magnetic attraction to lite poles and mathematic theories to explain the phenomenom! I always thought I hit the lite poles because I was stupid.
Craig W is offline Find More Posts by Craig W