HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2004, 02:11 AM
Cordova, TN
Joined Nov 2004
185 Posts
What is your winter project?

Although I was planning to be finished with my Skymaster F-15 by now, but its sort of turned into my winter project.

What are you guys working on?
Lt. Dan is offline Find More Posts by Lt. Dan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2004, 02:38 AM
airbrush guru
Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
Mostly working on finding time to work on my winter project at this point
LGM Graphix is offline Find More Posts by LGM Graphix
Old Dec 02, 2004, 07:05 AM
Dont press the RED button
Coventry, UK.
Joined Jun 2004
53 Posts
One of these.....

Gryphon by Aviation Design.
(Not my picture, off their website AD)
Spartan Missile is offline Find More Posts by Spartan Missile
Old Dec 02, 2004, 07:42 AM
RCU OUTCAST
Pensacola, FL
Joined Nov 2004
91 Posts
BVM Bobcat w/P70 here. Im building it...I have the center section done and the wings almost complete. Unfortunately Im moving and wont be able to work on it again till Jan or Feb

Mike
mnmills is offline Find More Posts by mnmills
Old Dec 02, 2004, 08:34 AM
Cordova, TN
Joined Nov 2004
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmills
BVM Bobcat w/P70 here. Im building it...I have the center section done and the wings almost complete. Unfortunately Im moving and wont be able to work on it again till Jan or Feb

Mike
Good luck, it looks like quite a job!
Lt. Dan is offline Find More Posts by Lt. Dan
Old Dec 02, 2004, 10:08 AM
never fast enough !!!
old bridge, nj
Joined Nov 2004
258 Posts
Im hoping to finish my turbine NH90 heli finally , its a year behind schedule .. i hoping i can get that done before this Month ends ... After than, my BVM Rafale hits the work bench, and is my main winter project .. I'm still waiting to get the F-15 back from the painter, and when i do, i will slap all the gear in that and get if flight ready ASAP, so it might get squezeed inbetween the Rafale build ... I also have to build a new Raptor 50 heli, as i smashed mine in really good a few weeks ago ... then there are 2 or 3 prop arfs i would like to get done also ... this brings me into late winter/spring ... I'm having a friend build my 1/4 scale bell205 (huey) and 2 other turbine helis, as i just don't have time on those .. I hope to have all my projects cleared out for the summer, and just fly all summer long for once ... Well, i will be building in the summer, but it wont be RC, a friend and I have decided to do an ultralight together to supplement out RC flying ... otherwise, i will try to not get into any new projects till all the current ones are done ...

Wojtek
wojtek is offline Find More Posts by wojtek
Old Dec 02, 2004, 11:38 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
No new big jet project this winter. I have a reaper ARF to finish assembling, an F8 crusader and T2 Buckeye for turbine that need modest finishing work. Lots of smaller jets to deal with, but I swore I was not going to get any more big jets for the moment.
If the Oakdale/Aldous Yuen F-14 gets released sometimes soon, I will do that...it qualifies as a "big winter project". Otherwise, I will do their little F-35 for Toki power. Also an F11F tiger for Kamdax power.
Prop projects, don't even ask. Two A-20 Havocs, a P-61 Black Widow, a Ki61 Tony, a Gee Bee R-1, a whole multitude of stuff nearly completed. But they are prop jobs, nobody cares!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Dec 02, 2004, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Lt Dan,

get with Bryce and he'll guide you straight to the test flight of it man as he had three of them and sold them. That is a super Chopper man, contact him at Heavyjetguy@aol.com

Take Care and good Luck............... Johnny Hernandez

Old Dec 02, 2004, 02:27 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
I'm still waiting to get the F-15 back from the painter
Is this common practice amongst turbine guys? I've been building planes for 25 years and never had one painted by someone else - some would say it shows!

Who / how / how much? Do you have a local body shop do it? Other modellers? Is it expensive? Everytime I try some new system it seems I wind up spending a couple hundred bucks on paint and thinner.

I've gotten to the point that I can do a pretty decent finish but there are a couple problems - no space and I work outside. So I am pretty much out of the painting business from now until March or April. I also do my best work with the auto paints but don't have all the safety equipment needed so I've pretty much given up on that. Lately I've been using Nelson waterbased polyurethanes with decent results but you can't quite get to the same level of finish as a good 2 part auto paint. It does not take well to sanding and buffing for instance, you can sand it to get rid of dust and orange peel but then must re-coat with another topcoat rather than buffing since the shine won't quite come back...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Dec 02, 2004, 02:44 PM
Multiplex is great!
Maastricht, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2004
139 Posts
we are building 3 eurosports for next year with a Merlin 160 engine

sandor_digitech is offline Find More Posts by sandor_digitech
Old Dec 02, 2004, 02:52 PM
never fast enough !!!
old bridge, nj
Joined Nov 2004
258 Posts
Quote:
Is this common practice amongst turbine guys? I've been building planes for 25 years and never had one painted by someone else - some would say it shows!
I would never in a million years been able to do the paint job myself on the f-15 which im having done .... I have worked out a deal with a friend on this one, but commercially, im sure i' be paying a few $K to get a paint job like this done ..

i personally have a problem even painting one color on ... Also, a lot of people want the best possible paint job they can get after the dump a few thousand $ into a jet, and a lot of times that means having someone else do the painting ...

Wojtek
wojtek is offline Find More Posts by wojtek
Old Dec 02, 2004, 03:05 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Mine is a RT modles BIG Mig 15.
elp914 is offline Find More Posts by elp914
Old Dec 02, 2004, 03:22 PM
Cordova, TN
Joined Nov 2004
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetflyer 24
Lt Dan,

get with Bryce and he'll guide you straight to the test flight of it man as he had three of them and sold them. That is a super Chopper man, contact him at Heavyjetguy@aol.com

Take Care and good Luck............... Johnny Hernandez

Old Dec 02, 2004, 04:44 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
Winter Jets

I will be finishing and detailing my Skymaster CF-18 and also finishing up and painting my Fiber Classics Mig-15, plus getting started on a huge 1/5 scale Airworld F9F Panther...... sort of hope its a long winter maybe not
Marty C. is offline Find More Posts by Marty C.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 05:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Nov 2004
26 Posts
Wojtek, who's paint work is that on the F-15's? Awesome. I'm jealous.
Pyolet is offline Find More Posts by Pyolet