SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2004, 11:31 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Charger vs. Triton CHarger.

Which would you get.

I'm going to use it for charging Thunder Power 3-cell 11.1v 2100mAh Lithium Batteries.
STaNgXs is offline Find More Posts by STaNgXs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2004, 11:33 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
Being able to charge two batteries at the same time was the big factor for me so I got the Elite. Had a Hobbico QFC MkII before and liked it so it was not a hard decision.
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old Dec 01, 2004, 11:38 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell_f
Being able to charge two batteries at the same time was the big factor for me so I got the Elite. Had a Hobbico QFC MkII before and liked it so it was not a hard decision.
Ya, I have a Hobbico mkII i'm curently selling on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5939094260

I used it once, but later found out I need a stronger battery for my COrsair to get it to fly properly.

Now, will that Elite charge that thunder power 3s 2100 maH fine?

I'd love to get it b/c of the dual output, I'm just afraid it won't meet the needs of my batteries
Old Dec 02, 2004, 04:19 AM
American Canyon, CA
Joined Sep 2004
385 Posts
STaNgXs : Hobbico Elite Charger can charged 1 to 10 cell of NiCad and NiMh and 1 to 3 cell of Li-po....if your using more than that, I guess this charger is not for you...I suggest you use Triton.
Zeke0504 is offline Find More Posts by Zeke0504
Old Dec 02, 2004, 06:12 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STaNgXs
Which would you get.

I'm going to use it for charging Thunder Power 3-cell 11.1v 2100mAh Lithium Batteries.
The good feature of the ACCU-CYCLE Elite is the DUAL CHARGER but, the limitations of 2 AMPs is just not attractive to me since I fly GLOW-To-ELECTRIC models that fly with Sub-C's NI-MH's and need at least 3 AMPs to charge at the field so, I bought the TRITON Charger.

One thing about the TRITON, it seems to charge at least 240mAH more into my Li-POLYs than my present HOBBICO MARK-II Dual Charger and I suspect this is true with the ACCU.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Dec 02, 2004, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
I used the QFC MKII to charge TP 3S-2100 (two at a time) with very good results, so it's really not necessary to get a new one for just that reason. If charging that battery is the only reason that you're looking for a new charger, save some money and use the QFC MKII.

However, I got the Elite because charge rate is a little higher and the data display allows me to determine the condition of my batteries. If you are doing NiMH/NiCD, the Elite does a discharge cycle. Yes, unlike the QFC MkII, the Elite really does 100% charge, but I don't know that I would have ever noticed the performance difference between 97% charge and 100% charge. One more thing, the Elite does include AC to DC power supply. That makes it more price competitive with the Triton.
Last edited by darrell_f; Dec 02, 2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 11:29 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
I use both and have to say that I really dislike the way the elite is programed.
The triton is much more straight foward.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Dec 02, 2004, 01:09 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Quote:
I used the QFC MKII to charge TP 3S-2100 (two at a time) with very good results, so it's really not necessary to get a new one for just that reason. If charging that battery is the only reason that you're looking for a new charger, save some money and use the QFC MKII.

well, the mkII only charges 1 amp on lipo batteries, which is less than half of what I need...
Old Dec 02, 2004, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
That's not correct, you do not need 2 amps to charge a 2100mah battery. The 1 amp on the QFC MKII will provide a .5C charge rate which works very well. It will take a few (10-15?) minutes longer but it will provide a very good charge. Some will even argue that the lower charge rate will give you longer battery life as well. Try the QFC MKII, it will work! And yes, each side is 1 amp, so you can charge 2 3S-2100's at a time.
Last edited by darrell_f; Dec 02, 2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 03:01 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Quote:
That's not correct, you do not need 2 amps to charge a 2100mah battery. The 1 amp on the QFC MKII will provide a .5C charge rate which works very well. It will take a few (10-15?) minutes longer but it will provide a very good charge. Some will even argue that the lower charge rate will give you longer battery life as well. Try the QFC MKII, it will work! And yes, each side is 1 amp, so you can charge 2 3S-2100's at a time.
damn, I wish I knew that, I already put it on E-Bay, and can't cancel it
Old Dec 02, 2004, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
No bids. Looks likes it's broken to me. Give it try.
Old Dec 02, 2004, 05:25 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2004
531 Posts
Quote:
No bids. Looks likes it's broken to me. Give it try.

I canceled the item

thanks for the info, saved atleast $100
Old Dec 02, 2004, 05:37 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
I like the Elite's dual cell capabilities and its, complete discharge & cycling functions. Programming funtions and menu are extremely versatile & a breeze to navigate! Lots of Bang for the buck....Charging the 2 paks at once...thats big for me since I build my own packs and have several i take to the field...

I had looked into the Triton and know its definatley a quality product but dont know too much about it - A buddy told me you have to be careful or you can "tap it into the wrong setting" easily (?)
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke
Old Dec 03, 2004, 07:13 AM
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
Stangxs,
After you fly with 3S charged on your $49 charger, come back and post results. I'll bet that will really put a smiley on your face and your post.

Darrell_F