HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2004, 09:34 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Looking for Mini Dragonfly pictures (and input for Not using the PHA-01 mixer.)

I acquired a GWS Mini Dragonfly (thanks ezone) and I am looking for pictures on where to mount the “separates”. Does anyone have links with good pictures?

Also looking for suggestions on other necessities. Here is what I have so far.

Stock brushed main motor with heat sink.
DD tail rotor with 0320 blade (do I need a heat sink for the tail motor?)
2 HS 55 servos
PG-03 gyro.

Also have 2 “birdseed” battery packs and one GWS 8.4 V, 750 NIMH pack. (I know lipo is the preferred, but I am not on the lipo bandwagon yet).

I will be flying alone, so will this complete the package?

GWS ICS 300 Speed Control (Would a Pixie 14 be any better?)
GWS ICS 100 Speed Control (I have one already – in a plane)
GWS Pico 4 channel receiver (have this too, same plane, so… )

I plan on using my Revolution mixing on my JR 347 or 388. This should work, right?

Thanks for the input.

Dave

PS: I have flown models for 30 years, but this is my first indoor heli. I do appreciate your inputs.
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:01 PM
Day by day...
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2004
634 Posts
Dave, you have all of the beginnings for a great little heli. The GWS ICS 300 will be fine, as long as you don't expect to be able to program anything. The voltage cutoff is set, but it will work OK with NiMh. The rest will work fine as well, including revo mixing in the radio (I personally don't know if the JR 347 or 388 has revo, but if either does then perfect).

Here are some photos that might help. It is my brushless heli, but the ideas should work. The electronics in the frame cabinet is the PG-03 stripped out of it's case. The little buzzer is my HRPoly LiPo alarm (you won't be needing one yet).

The final is our new CF Battery plate that works very well, but the photo might give you some more ideas. You can make one out of just about any plastic.
LoopZilla is offline Find More Posts by LoopZilla
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:03 PM
Day by day...
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2004
634 Posts
Oh, and the electronics in the blue heatshrink up front under the LiPo are my two ESCs...which works quite well keeping radio noise down.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:22 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Work in Progress

Here's an old shot of what I ended up doing.

I used 2 CF rods and drilled holes in the frame and epoxied them in. this created the battery mount and is very light.

PCB board made the mounting plate.

you can see where i mounted the esc and gyro. (still one esc to mount, but it goes in the same place)
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:25 PM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopZilla
Oh, and the electronics in the blue heatshrink up front under the LiPo are my two ESCs...which works quite well keeping radio noise down.
Great !!

The pictures really help. It is nice to know that I can shrink the PG-03 and slide it in the cabinet.

Few more questions:

Since I am using the NIMH, can I just stack the two (GWS) ESC above the stock battery holder?

Also, what should I do with the stock antenna?

One more, my plastic parts are all gray – does this mean anything?

Thanks again,
Dave
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Ozzie,

Took me a while to figure out it was the same Heli Looking good.

Any idea where can I download the GWS manual?

Dave
Old Dec 03, 2004, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieFlyer
Here's an old shot of what I ended up doing.

I used 2 CF rods and drilled holes in the frame and epoxied them in. this created the battery mount and is very light.

PCB board made the mounting plate.

you can see where i mounted the esc and gyro. (still one esc to mount, but it goes in the same place)
Converted form FP to CP?? like?
Armando Bianchi is offline Find More Posts by Armando Bianchi
Old Dec 03, 2004, 11:30 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
nope..still a FP...flies very well though. People have thought it's a CP when they've seen it.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2004
14 Posts
Hey Loopzilla, I see you are using a GWS 4ch receiver. Did you experience any problems with it? It is a single conversion without DSP or anything. Here is a receiver that is comparable in price http://www.servohut.com/RCVdsp4.htm . It claims to have DSP, it is about 10mm longer and 1.7g havier than the GWS. Does anybody have any experience with this thing? I would expect it to be better than the GWS but maybe not as good as a Berg.

rcwolf
rcwolf is offline Find More Posts by rcwolf
Old Dec 05, 2004, 06:54 PM
Day by day...
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2004
634 Posts
I am using the GWS, mainly because we recommend them as a decent alternative to the Berg (we fly what we sell). The GWS does glitch evey now and then, but never so bad as to impede my flight ability. The problem with single conversion is flying with a crowd. Single conversion, coupled with lesser tolerance GWS crystals, will lead to more glitches if there are other TX near the same channel. If you are flying in your garage, it shouldn't ever matter. Put a Berg mini crystal in the GWS, and things get a lot better.

The Berg receivers are by far the best. I have tried a few others, and nothing really compares when you manage all relevant factors for micro heli use (size, weight, glitch factor, etc).

The Plantraco might be a great option though. At $27, it is certainly worth a shot. I might just order one...
Old Dec 06, 2004, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2004
14 Posts
To OzzieFlyer.
Is this a carbon fiber undercarriage? Where did you get it?

rcwolf
rcwolf is offline Find More Posts by rcwolf
Old Dec 06, 2004, 01:15 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i got it from mdttb, so pm him if you want one....i'm not sure if he has any left.

It was pretty tough, but i did eventually break it just last week in a fast and hard crash